Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Consider me a convert. The distance between Lee and POB isn't great, in my opinion, but Lee just looks so much more polished as a pure thrower than POB does. That TD throw to Spielman was one of the most gorgeous throws in Memorial Stadium in years. Now, practice is one thing, and using live rounds against teams like Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa will be another, but Lee looks like the man.

I'm still sticking by my prediction that in 2 years, 2 out of the 3 QBs that saw a majority of the time on Saturday won't be at Nebraska.

Well... yes, Lee will graduate... and then all you would need is one of the other two to transfer, and considering they both can't win the job... probably?

Which I think is the probable route it's going to go. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on POB transferring.

What if the guys stick around and be program type players? Why do we have to assume a transfer all the time. Benny Parker could have transferred and didn't, because he loved where he was and stuck it out till the end. it's too easy to give up and transfer in today's world of college sports, and Tom Izzo had a great quote on that. Will it happen? Most likely, but we can worry about that later. Lets enjoy the moment and the fact that we have 4 capable QBs to run the Offense.

Johnny Stanton, AJ Bush, Brion Carnes, Cody Green, Patrick Witt kind of set a precedent of touted NU QB's transferring. I don't fault anyone for anticipating a transfer by Lee, POB or Gebbia.

The bolded doesn't match.

Sue me.

Your name is now Fru*.

Consider me a convert. The distance between Lee and POB isn't great, in my opinion, but Lee just looks so much more polished as a pure thrower than POB does. That TD throw to Spielman was one of the most gorgeous throws in Memorial Stadium in years. Now, practice is one thing, and using live rounds against teams like Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa will be another, but Lee looks like the man.

I'm still sticking by my prediction that in 2 years, 2 out of the 3 QBs that saw a majority of the time on Saturday won't be at Nebraska.

Well... yes, Lee will graduate... and then all you would need is one of the other two to transfer, and considering they both can't win the job... probably?

Which I think is the probable route it's going to go. If I were a betting man, I'd put money on POB transferring.

What if the guys stick around and be program type players? Why do we have to assume a transfer all the time. Benny Parker could have transferred and didn't, because he loved where he was and stuck it out till the end. it's too easy to give up and transfer in today's world of college sports, and Tom Izzo had a great quote on that. Will it happen? Most likely, but we can worry about that later. Lets enjoy the moment and the fact that we have 4 capable QBs to run the Offense.

Johnny Stanton, AJ Bush, Brion Carnes, Cody Green, Patrick Witt kind of set a precedent of touted NU QB's transferring. I don't fault anyone for anticipating a transfer by Lee, POB or Gebbia.

The bolded doesn't match.

Sue me.

Your name is now Sue.

Hey now!

:nanalama:smokin:corndance

'All three of the QBs are talented players but NONE of them appear likely to be on any preseason Heisman lists. Heck, from some preseason Big Ten comments, NU is supposed to finish 4th or 5th in the Big Ten West for Pete's sakes. There is absolutely no reason to be discussing the transfer of any of these guys at this point. If POB were a junior right now and Tanner Lee a redshirt frosh and he didn't win the job, there would be some logic to POB being disappointed and frustrated and looking at a career of playing second fiddle. That is not the case by any means.

lf POB had been the nation's number 1 QB recruit and the son of John Elway or Payton Manning or had rewritten all the nation's high school passing records, then maybe it might make sense for him to transfer to Bama or Ohio State or something. But NONE of these guys were rated that high nor were they recruited by the 'elites' as such.

Transferring is a major and high risk move and quite unpredictable. A major coaching change, school scandal, or personal issues are the most common reasons not lack of playing time in my view. If a player is not the starter at Nebraska, why would he think he could transfer to another big name school and do any better. Most transfers have to sit out another year and will face stiff competition wherever they play. If they are afraid of competition or feel entitled to the job without truly winning it, then they will ultimately fail any other place and certainly won't survive in the high stakes, cut throat competition of the NFL.

It appears likely that Lee, POB and Gebbia are perfectly positioned for successful collegiate careers with excellent coaching by experienced men with many years of college and professional experience playing in a scheme at a program with the potential to be national names with great TV exposure, the best facilities, great academic and other support. These three young men have rare oppotunities to excell in something they love.

It's not an indictment on the type of person they are, it's more of a statement of the status quo of college football nowadays. Players want to play, particularly highly-rated QBs, which O'Brien was. He may be the odd man out, and I wouldn't hold it against him, nor would I consider it him "giving up".

If we keep recruiting quality quarterbacks, transfers won't be much of an issue. Transfers are bound to happen sometimes and the staff will deal with it when it happens.

• Fire 2

We always find something to worry about. The cupboard has been bare the last few years. Between Martinez and Armstrong, we've had athletes no one else would start at quarterback playing quarterback for us. I thought it was fairly idiotic to have a good runner and poor passer, with ridiculously low accuracy and a below average football I.Q. at quarterback. We managed to sandwich two such quarterbacks back to back. I have no idea why that was the strategy. I suspect Mike Riley has been thinking the same thing.

Now, on paper at least, we have a wealth of riches. Three young, smart, talented passers who are willing to work hard and seem to be good fits for the offense. So now the worry is that one of them might eventually be upset he's not starting and transfer?

Maybe it's just me, but after years of watching Nebraska quarterbacks regularly miss passes any one of us could hit, that seems like a good problem to have.

• Fire 5

And I'd put money on it with you. But I think one of them transferring is pretty much a given, and your odds will be pretty poor. ;)

• Fire 1

'All three of the QBs are talented players but NONE of them appear likely to be on any preseason Heisman lists. Heck, from some preseason Big Ten comments, NU is supposed to finish 4th or 5th in the Big Ten West for Pete's sakes. There is absolutely no reason to be discussing the transfer of any of these guys at this point. If POB were a junior right now and Tanner Lee a redshirt frosh and he didn't win the job, there would be some logic to POB being disappointed and frustrated and looking at a career of playing second fiddle. That is not the case by any means.

lf POB had been the nation's number 1 QB recruit and the son of John Elway or Payton Manning or had rewritten all the nation's high school passing records, then maybe it might make sense for him to transfer to Bama or Ohio State or something. But NONE of these guys were rated that high nor were they recruited by the 'elites' as such.

Transferring is a major and high risk move and quite unpredictable. A major coaching change, school scandal, or personal issues are the most common reasons not lack of playing time in my view. If a player is not the starter at Nebraska, why would he think he could transfer to another big name school and do any better. Most transfers have to sit out another year and will face stiff competition wherever they play. If they are afraid of competition or feel entitled to the job without truly winning it, then they will ultimately fail any other place and certainly won't survive in the high stakes, cut throat competition of the NFL.

It appears likely that Lee, POB and Gebbia are perfectly positioned for successful collegiate careers with excellent coaching by experienced men with many years of college and professional experience playing in a scheme at a program with the potential to be national names with great TV exposure, the best facilities, great academic and other support. These three young men have rare oppotunities to excell in something they love.

This

I thought it was fairly idiotic to have a good runner and poor passer, with ridiculously low accuracy and a below average football I.Q. at quarterback. We managed to sandwich two such quarterbacks back to back. I have no idea why that was the strategy. I suspect Mike Riley has been thinking the same thing.

Far be it from me to make excuses for Armstrong and Martinez, but they didn't exactly play on really good teams, either. The last really good team we had here was in 2010, and once Martinez was injured, they finished the season 3-3 and struggled to find offense.

We'd probably be saying many of the same things about Frazier if he played on the Pelini era.

Maybe it's just me, but after years of watching Nebraska quarterbacks regularly miss passes any one of us could hit, that seems like a good problem to have.

I'm with you here, despite the hyperbole. I'll take a wealth of talent with some risk of transfers over very little talent and praying the starter doesn't get injured.

Transferring is a major and high risk move and quite unpredictable.

What makes you think that? Transferring is not very high risk in today's college football world; in fact, the system is well-suited for kids to transfer and see playing time, which is what most of them are after in the first place.

Saying a lot of it comes down to "personal issues" suggests there's a negative connotation associated with transferring. You'll have to forgive a 19-year-old kid if he doesn't want to ride the pine at dear old NU his whole collegiate career.

This

Do you guys pay attention to the CFB QB landscape?

Using 247Sports' composite rankings, FOX Sports researched the careers of every Top 50 quarterback recruit that signed from 2011-14. Exactly half — 100 of 200 — transferred from their original school.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/signing-day-recruits-quarterback-transfer-clemson-hunter-johnson-alabama-tua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

• Fire 5

We always find something to worry about. The cupboard has been bare the last few years. Between Martinez and Armstrong, we've had athletes no one else would start at quarterback playing quarterback for us. I thought it was fairly idiotic to have a good runner and poor passer, with ridiculously low accuracy and a below average football I.Q. at quarterback. We managed to sandwich two such quarterbacks back to back. I have no idea why that was the strategy. I suspect Mike Riley has been thinking the same thing.

Now, on paper at least, we have a wealth of riches. Three young, smart, talented passers who are willing to work hard and seem to be good fits for the offense. So now the worry is that one of them might eventually be upset he's not starting and transfer?

Who is worrying?

This

Do you guys pay attention to the CFB QB landscape?

Using 247Sports' composite rankings, FOX Sports researched the careers of every Top 50 quarterback recruit that signed from 2011-14. Exactly half — 100 of 200 — transferred from their original school.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/signing-day-recruits-quarterback-transfer-clemson-hunter-johnson-alabama-tua-tagovailoa-michigan-dylan-mccaffrey-013017

Which is why it's very important to get a really good QB in every class. Including redshirt years, a player's career spans 5 years. If 50% of them transfer, that means you will have 2-3 scholarship QBs in the system at any given time. From what I can tell:

Michigan only has 2 4* QBs on their roster.

Stanford has 2 4* QBs and one committed for 2018.

Clemson has 2 4* Qbs and a 5* committed for 2018.

Alabama has 3 4-5* Qbs on the roster.

Now, there are exceptions to this. Just a quick look at OSU's QB roster on 247, shows they have 4 4* QBs still on the roster and another committed for 2018