DOJ Initial Russia Hearings

With Trump WH in panic mode as evidence by the all so stupid move of firing McCabe, don't be surprised to see more 'rats jumping the ship'.  Unless the admin is already down to the core  group of mindless followers, I cannot see anyone wt a shred of ethics to put up wt working for this admin any longer.  Maybe there are those who believe they can hold on to work under Mike Pence - no guaranties that he ends up POTUS after this investigation concludes.  

A couple of good Vox articles on the McCabe firing.   We are quickly going towards Nixon like territory here. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/17/17133284/donald-trump-andrew-mccabe-jeff-sessions-fired-former-fbi-director

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/19/17135940/andrew-mccabe-firing-trump-fbi-benefits-twitter-comey

President Donald Trump’s unprecedented attacks on federal law enforcement turned even more vindictive over a series of jarring events last weekend.

The drama began with the late Friday night firing of FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe just 26 hours before he would have qualified for a full federal pension. It ended Sunday with a string of presidential tweets attacking McCabe, former FBI Director James Comey, and special counsel Robert Mueller. Trump had never before attacked Mueller by name in a tweet.

Taken together, the weekend’s developments show that Trump’s war with US law enforcement has entered a new phase and that the president and his loyalists feel more emboldened to attack Mueller and others working on the Trump-Russia probe directly. It also raised new fears that Trump would take the extreme step of actually firing Mueller himself — a move that both Democrats and Republicans say would spark a constitutional crisis.

“This is an escalation because it’s open warfare against the special counsel by name, and it’s capping off a 10-month effort to thwart the FBI and Mueller,” Andy Wright, a professor at Savannah Law School, told Vox. “I don’t know what happens next because we’re in uncharted territory.”

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

While I agree how problematic the McCabe firing appears to be, here's a lawfare article saying we should be a bit cautious since the evidence hasn't been released yet:

What We Know, and Don’t Know, About the Firing of Andrew McCabe

Anyone who is confidently pronouncing on the merits of Andrew McCabe’s firing Friday night is venturing well beyond the realm of known facts.

We certainly understand the instinct to rally to McCabe’s defense at a time when the president is issuing triumphant tweets and White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders is declaring him a “bad actor.” McCabe’s dismissal comes as part of a broader purge of the senior FBI leadership and specifically targets a man who behaved with extraordinary courage and dignity in the wake of James Comey’s firing last year. It is only natural for those repulsed by the president’s broader interactions with the FBI to assume the worst.

But on McCabe’s innocence or culpability for some infraction that might justify his dismissal, we will reserve judgment—and we caution others to as well. It is simply not clear at this stage whether or not the record will support his dismissal.

Reportedly, both the DOJ's Office of the Inspector General and the FBI's Office of Professional Responsibility recommended McCabe's firing. So even if the motives are political, there may still be legitimate reasons why McCabe was fired.

Edited by RedDenver
6 hours ago, deedsker said:

What happened, if you don't mind me asking? I know you have been one of the most vocal advocate for faith around here.

PM if you don't want to make it public, and, if not, I understand.

I'm still a Christian, but I became aware that my faith tradition was at least equally as much about capitalism and retaining social/cultural/political power as it was about the person and teachings of Jesus. I was unwittingly part of something antithetical to Christianity, imo.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'm still a Christian, but I became aware that my faith tradition was at least equally as much about capitalism and retaining social/cultural/political power as it was about the person and teachings of Jesus. I was unwittingly part of something antithetical to Christianity, imo.

Wow. You're my new hero.

37 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Wow. You're my new hero.

I think I'd be more of a hero if I tried to stay and reform from within instead of wanting to burn the whole thing down and disavow. I think you need both kinds of people, and I also think that white evangelicalism is feeling the power slipping out of its hands. That's a contributing factor in the hyperpartisanship in the church, imo.