The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Their number 1 job is to declare war.  Shouldn't Congress all be made up of Generals?

Sadly, they have seemed to have given that power away...

I really don't care what the career backgrounds are as long as they are intelligent, descent, and have a clear set of values.  I would also hope that they would argue for what's truly in the best interest of their constituents rather than donors.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Their number 1 job is to declare war.  Shouldn't Congress all be made up of Generals?

if you are a warmonger...then yes...i guess congress should be made of generals.  if you want a  society based on laws....maybe lawyers would be better choices.   if you want shower heads with lots of pressure maybe congress should be full of plumbers.    

38 minutes ago, QMany said:

The Trump Administration clearly knows they're F'd when Mr. BENGHAZI, CARAVAN, ANTIFA, SUBURBS, GUNS, 2AM RAGE TWEETER's only defense is he didn't want to cause panic.

trump is always trying to cause panic.  in this case he was just trying to avoid handling a real problem.   the panic he creates is always false s#!t to deflect away from his failures.

although...perhaps he was trying to avoid panic on wall street.   not main street...wall street.   

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

No.

Generals and military people are always going to have a mentality of using the military to go "fix" whatever problem we have.  That's the way they should be.  They should always be planning on how they can accomplish various tasks even before they are asked too.

It's up to non-military people to decide if that's appropriate action.  And...no...that's not congress's #1 job.  But, it's a very important one.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No.

Generals and military people are always going to have a mentality of using the military to go "fix" whatever problem we have.  That's the way they should be.  They should always be planning on how they can accomplish various tasks even before they are asked too.

It's up to non-military people to decide if that's appropriate action.  And...no...that's not congress's #1 job.  But, it's a very important one.

Now complete the circle.  Do you think a Congress full of lawyers passes laws that are good for the lawyers?  Or do they really have the clients' interest at heart.

12 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Now complete the circle.  Do you think a Congress full of lawyers passes laws that are good for the lawyers?  Or do they really have the clients' interest at heart.

As someone who has worked a lot with lawyers, some do and some don't.  Some lawyers are very good at working for their client.  In fact, I would say most do.  However, there are some that are only out for themselves.

And...from your question, I'm assuming you misunderstood my post.  The military is working in what they view as the best interest of the country.  It's just that their job is to be ready, willing and able to go take care of any job we send them to do.  They are not in the job of deciding if that job is the right one to do.

Very different than congress or the President.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As someone who has worked a lot with lawyers, some do and some don't.  Some lawyers are very good at working for their client.  In fact, I would say most do.  However, there are some that are only out for themselves.

And...from your question, I'm assuming you misunderstood my post.  The military is working in what they view as the best interest of the country.  It's just that their job is to be ready, willing and able to go take care of any job we send them to do.  They are not in the job of deciding if that job is the right one to do.

Very different than congress or the President.

@commando said that lawyers are in the business of law therefore they should be the one who make the laws.  What's odd is that he was responding to my fact check that showed Joe Biden was never, or very briefly, an actual lawyer.

It's an experience fallacy that pops up every now and again.  It means only football players should be coaches and ADs, only tailors should decide what we wear etc etc.

• Plus1 2