What Did You Expect?

BIG ERN

Most of the time I expect things, it turns out that I'm wrong.  I thought Ohio State would curb stomp the Sooners, but it didn't happen.  Who would have thought Ohio State would be 1-2 in their last three games?  I expected the game against Oregon to be a shootout.  Just looking at the final score, one would assume that's what happened.  However, it really wasn't the case.  I'm going to look at the second half through optimistic eyes today and say the defense made adjustments and figured lots of things out.  Oregon might have taken their foot off the gas, but after we scored on our first two possessions in the third I can't think they went continued on coast the rest of the way.  It's still really early in the season.  I'm not sure we really know what we have or are up against.  For all we know, Oregon might win the Pac.  Trying to judge the rest of the season after week two, one would conclude Michigan would win the East and Wisconsin the West.  However, it probably won't play out like this.  We are going to get better.   

I expected a defense to not give up 1,063 yards in two games.

I expected the Riley's system to look better with a "Riley" guy under center with a few hiccups now and then, but the offense keeps having flashbacks to Callahan's offense with shifts and movements then a throw underneath for 3 yards. There are some good things with the offense, yes, but when it goes bad, it goes south in a hurry.

I expected more attention to details, like in an obvious passing situation to not run play action, to understand the clock was an enemy and not run it down when trailing by 14, to have a sense of urgency when trailing and to come ready to play.

I expected the team to not hang its hat on moral victories.

Now I'm not so sure what to expect going forward. I do hope the team grows and I do hope the Huskers win every game.

I really expected the D to be MUCH better.  We are recruiting/wanting/playing bigger corners and I thought it was to play more press.  I expected more based upon camp comments about what all they can do and that our O struggled against them (for the record, our O has looked good even against Oregon and the 4 INT's). I expected more blitzing, more fronts i.e. 3-4, then 4-3, nickel/dime etc....

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I expected to not go life and death with Arkansas State.

I expected to not let Oregon drop 400 yards and 42 points in 30 minutes.

I guess I'm jerk for having such extraordinarily extravagant expectations.

I figured we'd beat Oregon by a point or two or get boat raced......We got raced.

I am really disappointed in the D, but pleasantly surprised with the O.  Even with the 4 INT's, we hung 35 on Oregon. Not that they're world beaters (maybe they go 12-0 or 11-1 this years), but we are putting up points....

Did I mention the D?  Hopefully the pressers are correct and a new D will shine starting next week.  The only way we get worse is to completely forget how to stop the run as well.....

8 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

You mind a week by week breakdown of this prediction?  Interested who you had as for sure losses above Oregon besides OSU, PSU, Wisc

ok 

here it is

ASU -W

OSU-L

NIU - W

Rutgrs- W

Ill- W

Wisc-L

OSU-L

Purdue- L

NWN- W

Mnn- L

PSU-L

Iowa-L

prior to the season I had MN and NorthWestern opposite, and had us winning the Purdue game for a 6-6 year

I expected inprovement from the special teams and we have made big strides.  We had a fail on the on side kick but those are crap shoots really.  Obviously we fair caught a couple punts and I was hoping we'd return anythng we could catch like we used to with the return guys we have.  We need to be very agressive on punt and kick off returns.  Those are potential big plays one can not afford to waste.   Overall, we are better than the past several years, based on the first two games.  Grade   B +.

On offense I thought we'd be somewhat better overall than last year and would be more effective, especially in getting first downs.  Our third down conversion must be awful so far and this is quite discouraging.  It can easily improve, however.   The run game is a little better than I expected but not good but we are not using our FB.  I thought we'd throw to the RBs but I just recall almost nothing there.  I thought Lee would complete about 67% of his throws and be more careful with his decisions.    Grade   C-

On defense, I expected we'd be significantly better by the end of game two.  Maybe the second half was the turning point and things start to gel.  If we continue to play like this over the next 4 games, we will have a losing season certainly.   I believe we have enough talent to be in the top 4 in the Big Ten defensively but we are not showing it at all.  Grade:  F.

overall, a grade of D+.   This is a critical time for this team and it will either make positive strides and look much better Saturday or we will fold up our tent and slide into the abyss.  This next game is a big game.  We need to win by no less than 30 and hold them to less than 21 points while do it.  

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

VV - maybe you should start a "Scott Frost's Watch" thread.  Maybe get the 'airplane tracker' application out.:sarcasm  Mark his victories and our 8 loses .... :facepalm:

I do think 7-5 is more realistic then 9-3 which I think I originally predicted.   4-8 would be a EMP type event and I think we we have enough talent to avoid that. 

It's obvious you didn't RTFP and you decided to reply to a strawman than what I actually wrote. People seem to want to say those five games are 'gimmie' games, when they're anything but, and the way our defense has been playing, we have a better chance of going 1-4 than 4-1 or 5-0. I'm not saying that we're going 1-4; personally, at this point, we're realistically looking at going 3-2 against those five (Rutgers, Illinois, and Northwestern being our most likely wins). 

And we have the talent to win the B1G as far back as 2014 (per our AD), yet we went 5-7. A talent-rich team going 4-8 isn't unheard of, especially when the coaching is suspect. 

• Plus1 1

I expected Riley to not be the worst coach in the Big Ten West...  I have a feeling that Brohm is a killer...He might end up being Joe Tiller Part II but better.  Kill is going to win at Minny, period.  Lovie is trending up but I do think he is gone after this year.  I think he hates college.

I do think that Kill has his eye on 4 jobs...MSU...ND...OSU (Meyer won't stay long and I don't blame him, why bother?) and Nebraska. 

Nebraska is the only show in town and I think he would LOVE that.

Just now, teachercd said:

I expected Riley to not be the worst coach in the Big Ten West...  I have a feeling that Brohm is a killer...He might end up being Joe Tiller Part II but better.  Kill is going to win at Minny, period.  Lovie is trending up but I do think he is gone after this year.  I think he hates college.

I do think that Kill has his eye on 4 jobs...MSU...ND...OSU (Meyer won't stay long and I don't blame him, why bother?) and Nebraska. 

Nebraska is the only show in town and I think he would LOVE that.

I'm very confused, I'm guessing you mean Fleck is going to win at Minnesota and that Kill wants to HC again?  He just had another seizure on Saturday.  I don't think he will ever be a Head Coach again.

• Plus1 1