What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I learned that like Keller in 2007, Lee won't get benched no matter how badly he plays. It's absolutely baffling.

The defense continues to improve. Starting to attack and gang tackle well.

With as bad as Rutgers is, this game continues to lower my confidence in the coaching staff. We had a lot of injuries, so maybe this was a turning point and the team will get better going forward. But I just can't see us winning with Lee throwing picks.

It's really the offense at this point. Sam McKewon RT'd an astute observation during the game and I think it rings true about the entire Riley era: "This is an NFL offense built to win games 24-17."

POB and Gebbia are just different guys. They'll be working in the same offense, dealing with the same issues (a WIP OL, lacking receiver depth, an offense designed the same way, and lots of pressure to produce). The only thing is they'll have more growing pains on top of that. 

By the end of the year it'll be a good time to review if Riley & co. should get the chance to continue running this NU offense. Does it work at the college level? Perhaps Langs really belongs back in the NFL as a QBs coach. And I like Langs.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

It's really the offense at this point. Sam McKewon RT'd an astute observation during the game and I think it rings true about the entire Riley era: "This is an NFL offense built to win games 24-17."

POB and Gebbia are just different guys. They'll be working in the same offense, dealing with the same issues (a WIP OL, lacking receiver depth, an offense designed the same way, and lots of pressure to produce). The only thing is they'll have more growing pains on top of that. 

By the end of the year it'll be a good time to review if Riley & co. should get the chance to continue running this NU offense. Does it work at the college level? Perhaps Langs really belongs back in the NFL as a QBs coach. And I like Langs.

Regardless of the offensive system, the OL play, etc. How many pick sixes does your QB need to throw before giving the backup at least 1 series? I mean we're at 3 in 2 games and also lead the nation in INTs. How much worse would the growing pains be?

• Plus1 6
2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Not sure what Langsdorf has done to have anyone "like him".  You are one loyal cat.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Defense brought more pressure today at key times and looked good doing it. 

They did. My worry, again not having the benefit of anything but the live watch, is how many known free blitzers got through. Rutgers ran the same set almost the entire game, yet never adjusted to how we aligned to it.

Blitzes look great when they get there. Where are we when they don't? I'm happy today, unsure about 2 weeks from now.

33 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

It is time to see what we got in POB or Gebbia. They can't be much worse than Lee. Our defense was excellent today, and hopefully they can build on that performance.

I'd rather Gebbia keep his redshirt in case this season turns into a total disaster.

Defense kept Rutgers to 200 yards.  Rutgers is averaging 400 but that is padded by Morgan State.  Washington allowed 300 and Eastern Michigan 330.  I'll take it as a good sign.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Had to read this three times to realize you did not say "........review if Riley & co. should get the chance to continue RUINING this NU offense."

And then when you included "I like Langs" .....I just have not ever heard anything that crazy and unbelievable come from you before. I mean really, that is insane. Please tell me you were trolling the comment and I missed the funny part.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

I learned that despite everything, we still have a shot at winning something.  B1G West, B1G...even a bowl game.  I also learned that my fellow fans fell off the bandwagon.  GBR

Look quick, we are on top of the west standings.  1-0, everyone else was at 0-0 when I looked.

3 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I like these guys. They're class acts, good teachers. If it doesn't work out I hope the next guys are in the same mold.

Good teachers?  Langsdorf is supposed to be a great QB coach but we have had crappy QB play for 2 1/3 years. The o-line completely sucks in most games. The WR play is inconsistent.

I don't see much teaching from my POV. 

• Plus1 3