What did we learn-Game 4 Rutgers

JJ Husker

Just now, stargazer said:

Why doesn't Riley give O'Brien a shot... even one series.  Heck, if you're going to lose your job... why not give Gebbia a shot.  Sure, the offensive line has issues, but there's far more wrong with Lee, than poor protection.

if for nothing else but to take the opportunity to point some things out to him.  Like how to pick up your feet to run-or how not stare down receivers-or even what our uniforms looks like

2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

What I learned, today and continue to learn tonight is that compared to other teams, were not that good.  Watching Iowa and Penn St, now thats Defense, on both sides!

Barkley will just shred us when we play Penn St.  Great back!  Its hard not to be Negative Nancy when you see how other teams play football!  For those above posters who think we have talent on defense, watch Penn ST and Iowa.  For those who want to see speed on the field, watch OU and Baylor.  Were light years away from being like any of those teams right now.  

Yup.  

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

I feel like only in Nebraska do the above two posts get said on a day where the Huskers had 45 runs and 26 passes.

Our QB threw 50%, and after he had his 9th INT in 4 games and 3rd pick 6 in 2. He was booed when he came out to lead the next drive. The staff lost confidence in him. Not to mention we averaged the same YPA as we did YPC. We ran the ball for fear of losing the game. That was obvious when on 3rd and long and in field goal range, we ran the ball down the middle. It was a safe play.

6 minutes ago, MLB 51 said:

I think I will drop my local cable and switch to PS Vue or HULU Live.

I dropped Hulu for PS Vue. The UI on hulu is atrocious. It works, but you can't find anything you want to watch. PS Vue is a few dollars more a month, but after trying Hulu, Youtube TV, Directv Now it is the only one worth keeping.

If Hulu fixed their UI, I think I like their bang for the buck better.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Sparker said:

I dropped Hulu for PS Vue. The UI on hulu is atrocious. It works, but you can't find anything you want to watch. PS Vue is a few dollars more a month, but after trying Hulu, Youtube TV, Directv Now it is the only one worth keeping.

If Hulu fixed their UI, I think I like their bang for the buck better.

Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

What I learned, today and continue to learn tonight is that compared to other teams, were not that good.  Watching Iowa and Penn St, now thats Defense, on both sides!

Barkley will just shred us when we play Penn St.  Great back!  Its hard not to be Negative Nancy when you see how other teams play football!  For those above posters who think we have talent on defense, watch Penn ST and Iowa.  For those who want to see speed on the field, watch OU and Baylor.  Were light years away from being like any of those teams right now.  

So, a couple things here:

1. Penn State had 579 yards against Iowa. Yes, the Hawkeye D is generally stout, but that's a ton of yards. If anything, it lends some credibility to Diaco's style of defense - forget about yards given up and worry only about points. The Penn State defense was definitely impressive.

2. Barkley is a great back. He's probably going to win the Heisman, which goes to the best player in college football, which, in general, means he shreds whomever he's playing. If he goes off for 180 against Nebraska, that's no different than any other game for him. Point being, if he shreds Nebraska, it won't be the only team he shreds.

3. I think it's obvious the Husker D has improved from game 1 to game 4. Notable is the amount of youth on the field. The only seniors I can think of who played big snaps today are Weber and Kieron Williams. Otherwise it was underclassmen - Davis twins, Stoltenberg, Alex Davis, Deontre Thomas, Stille, Freedom, Gifford, Young, Aaron Williams, Eric Lee, Lamar Jackson, Mo Barry, Antonio Reed, King, Dismuke, etc. - guys who all have a chance to grow and develop in the system over multiple years (if the defensive staff is still around next year, I guess). The opportunity is there for the defense to be pretty salty next year, but it's also possible they will continue to make strides throughout this season. OSU and PSU will be obviously be tough games, but I think the D is constructed well to hold up against the rest of the BIG West, which is probably more important at this exact time.

• Plus1 2

I'm just baffled by the QB situation.  There's no way Riley can watch the film and think "yep, this is a starting D1 quarterback".  

Either POB and Gebbia are really worse, a horrifying thought even if they're Freshman.  Or Riley knows he's on his way out so he's not even trying anymore.  I would like to believe that isn't his mindset.

• Plus1 6