Racism - It's a real thing.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

I

I didn’t think Phillips instigated.  I actually think he kept the boys from making a really bad mistake in physically interacting with the Black Israelites.

I wouldn't give him that much credit. He certainly didn't give himself that credit. He was simply continuing is march in front of the students for whatever reason.

45 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Here's a longass video. The first hour is the Black guys saying racist, homophobic dumbass stuff to the kids. It actually starts off with them telling the Native Americans they shouldn't be worshipping animals. It's from the perspective of one of the Black guys. The smaller group where the original video came from said they didn't start filming until just after the drummer approached the group. It looks to me like the chanting was to drown out the idiots shouting racist stuff.

This is pretty compatible with what Phillips has said, which is that he was simply trying to defuse the situation.

What a fascinating day it's been reading up on what seems to be, in reality, a pretty minor and exceedingly common interaction on the National Mall.

America need a news organization called Second Wave News. Everyone rushes to break the story, whether they're a journalist or not, and almost inevitably there's a "yeah, but" moment a day or two later. This situation seems like a really good example of that. 

On all the videos I've seen of this, there are dozens of people recording the event. It'll be a video posted two days from now that probably shows the best what exactly happened. Probably still too early to pass judgment.

• Plus1 1

Covington Catholic should be having a talk with the chaperones for this trip. That could have turned ugly and there were no adults guiding these kids, aside from Philips per his account.

A parent who lets their child bus to a political event wearing a MAGA hat has no right to complain when their kid gets enmeshed in a political s#!tstorm.

If a group of cows is called a herd, a group of cameras should be called a truth of cameras. Video is the friend of truth. The more videos we have of a situation, the truthier it gets.

• Plus1 1

It's clear that there are lots of lessons to be learned from this entire episode.  Unfortunately, nobody is talking about the people who initially started this entire thing.....the "Black Israelites"?  Never heard of them, but the video I saw this morning of how this started, puts the entire blame on them.  Now, the kids should have just walked away and ignored them.  But, without adult supervision, immaturity took over.  

Not sure quite how the native American elderly man is to blame in all of this.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

It's clear that there are lots of lessons to be learned from this entire episode.  Unfortunately, nobody is talking about the people who initially started this entire thing.....the "Black Israelites"?  Never heard of them, but the video I saw this morning of how this started, puts the entire blame on them.  Now, the kids should have just walked away and ignored them.  But, without adult supervision, immaturity took over.  

He's not, at all

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's clear that there are lots of lessons to be learned from this entire episode.  Unfortunately, nobody is talking about the people who initially started this entire thing.....the "Black Israelites"?  Never heard of them, but the video I saw this morning of how this started, puts the entire blame on them.

There's a longer video that clearly shows these guys instigating. Which is what they're known for.  They're a radical bunch of rabble-rousers. They're somewhat analogous to the Westboro Baptists in how they like to goad people into reacting to their nonsense.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

He's not, at all

Eh. His explanation for his involvement is that he was separating the boys from the Black Israelites, but even accounting for his religious practices, drumming right in that MAGA kid's face probably wasn't the best method of separating those groups.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's a longer video that clearly shows these guys instigating. Which is what they're known for.  They're a radical bunch of rabble-rousers. They're somewhat analogous to the Westboro Baptists in how they like to goad people into reacting to their nonsense.

Eh. His explanation for his involvement is that he was separating the boys from the Black Israelites, but even accounting for his religious practices, drumming right in that MAGA kid's face probably wasn't the best method of separating those groups.

Can we all just give this a million plus ones?