Racism - It's a real thing.

2 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Or it could be that my opinion isn't popular.

It's pretty well accepted (specifically in psychology) that immediately becoming defensive when someone might be alluding or accusing someone of something is form of deflecting. 

Trying to show the reason why people might be deflecting probably isn't the best way to be popular.

FWIW, your opinion, or it’s possible lack of popularity, isn’t what has caused all of this. Rather it is how you’ve gone about presenting it. I don’t care how many times you state that you’ve been crystal clear. It’s readily apparent you haven’t been since literally everyone except you has been confused by it. A wise man once said something along the lines of, when it’s you against the world, the problem likely isn’t the world. But I digress as this whole line of attempted discussion has become banal. Yeah, I’m using the word of the week :lol:

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Protesting:  Totally fine, go for it, all day and all day.

Smashing windows of a comic book shop:  Not okay

We all agree with that, right?

I mean, yeah? But I get confused by all the arguing and it seems like some people disagree with this. 

I think maybe I need to go soak my head or something. This thread is bonkers.

• Haha 1

Or it could be that my opinion isn't popular.

I honestly can't figure out what you're trying to say, so I can't like or dislike your opinion because I'm not sure what it is.

It's pretty well accepted (specifically in psychology) that immediately becoming defensive when someone might be alluding or accusing someone of something is form of deflecting. 

Which is exactly what you're currently doing in being defensive about how clearly you're articulating your poiint.

• Plus1 3

Anecdotally, I haven't seen many people try to 'dismiss the perception of racism' in relation to GU's tweet. And that wasn't what was happening here in this thread either. What people drew issue with is and was pretty straightforward - she posted a poorly worded tweet. It may not have been her intention but that was a way it was popularly interpreted.

Just look at some of the responses her tweet generated:

- "Always knew Nebraska was a trash state"

- "Wow I will never visit that city"

- "My GOD! And this is where so many young black men decide this is there they’ll play football? I know this is one incident, but I have to imagine it’s also indicative of an entire culture there that is hostile to the presence of black people. My GOD!"

What happened in Lincoln was obviously deplorable. Objectively speaking, we all need to fight against it, but we also shouldn't allow someone to universally suggest that the entire state of Nebraska is only interested in black people if they're entertaining us.

I just think that if we're going to have conversations about racism then they need to be honest conversations.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Enhance said:

Anecdotally, I haven't seen many people try to 'dismiss the perception of racism' in relation to GU's tweet. And that wasn't what was happening here in this thread either. What people drew issue with is and was pretty straightforward - she posted a poorly worded tweet. It may not have been her intention but that was a way it was popularly interpreted.

Just look at some of the responses her tweet generated:

- "Always knew Nebraska was a trash state"

- "Wow I will never visit that city"

- "My GOD! And this is where so many young black men decide this is there they’ll play football? I know this is one incident, but I have to imagine it’s also indicative of an entire culture there that is hostile to the presence of black people. My GOD!"

What happened in Lincoln was obviously deplorable. Objectively speaking, we all need to fight against it, but we also shouldn't allow someone to universally suggest that the entire state of Nebraska is only interested in black people if they're entertaining us.

I just think that if we're going to have conversations about racism then they need to be honest conversations.

Yes!!

14 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I think deep down people that do this aren't truly racist. They're just immature idiots. I've been around for the swastikas, the no means yes, and the green cards thrown in the soccer field at a state championship game. Usually people are trying to be funny or edgy, but it's really just cringy and absolutely embarrassing for those of us "associated" with them. You're a f#&%ing idiot if you do this stuff and only hurting all of us.

Idk, the lastest incident maybe different but usually these people are ignorant morons not hard core racists.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, ZRod said:

I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I think deep down people that do this aren't truly racist. They're just immature idiots. I've been around for the swastikas, the no means yes, and the green cards thrown in the soccer field at a state championship game. Usually people are trying to be funny or edgy, but it's really just cringy and absolutely embarrassing for those of us "associated" with them. You're a f#&%ing idiot if you do this stuff and only hurting all of us.

Idk, the lastest incident maybe different but usually these people are ignorant morons not hard core racists.

You should not get flack for this at all.