** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

They did smoke Memphis. Navy was a hard fought game that either team could have won well into the 4th quarter.

Thats accurate. I'm typing on an iPad and sometimes my fingers go quicker than the iPad can keep up with.

Still though, UCF handled Navy on the road. 

11 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Man you guys twist everything. Nobody is saying they dont want Frost. People are just saying there are other qualified candidates besides Scott Frost that can coach at Nebraska next year. If its Frost ill get behind him. If its someone else Ill get behind them. Can you say the same thing?

Yeah, I will mark you down as an AD that would have passed on Urban Meyer. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Otterpop said:

Did you really say Navy and Memphis. Lmao Mike Reilly would dominate that league too. I'm not saying Frost won't be good but let's realistic about him.

Had to read that second sentence 3 or 4 times. Riley is 0-1 against the MAC and a TD win against a Sun Belt team who lost by 3 TDs against SMU. I'm not saying Riley is bad, but let's be realistic about him. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Plus1 4
6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm trying to understand how running vertically is "power". Isn't "power" football out-muscling the other team at the point of attack? I watched the UCF-Navy game and UCF ran spread the entire game and I don't recall them having less than 4 wides (they might have I just don't recall that).

Most troubling to me was on UCF's second or third drive when they had 2nd and 1 at Navy's 3 yardline. They ran out of the shotgun three plays in a row and got stuffed. That's the opposite of power football right there. Does Frost ever run from under center? Reminds me of Mizzou's offense the last few years we were in the B12, lots of offense but no power football.

I'm not saying Frost's offense isn't good or that he wouldn't be a great HC, but I'm not seeing the claims of "power spread" being realized.

Coach Frost's offense has a misconception of it being pass happy and finesse by people who don't understand X's and O's. There concepts of "why" between Jim Harbaugh and Scott Frost for inside runs are the same thing. Harbuah uses fullbacks, tight ends, and extra OL to run the ball down their throat. Coach Frost spreads the defense out with multiple wide receivers (not in all formations) so he can do the same thing. 

The inside zone is what the entire offense is designed around. The difference between Coach Frost and Chip Kelly is that Coach Frost pulls more and and gets more hat on hat. The triple option and a whole bunch of other stuff is designed off of the inside zone. Because Coach Frost spreads the defense out and has wider splits, the ability to hit a home run on a run play is greatly magnified than a Harbaugh because there are more bodies in a tighter space. 

Image result for chip kelly offense oregon inside zone

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Coach Frost's offense has a misconception of it being pass happy and finesse by people who don't understand X's and O's. There concepts of "why" between Jim Harbaugh and Scott Frost for inside runs are the same thing. Harbuah uses fullbacks, tight ends, and extra OL to run the ball down their throat. Coach Frost spreads the defense out with multiple wide receivers (not in all formations) so he can do the same thing. 

The inside zone is what the entire offense is designed around. The difference between Coach Frost and Chip Kelly is that Coach Frost pulls more and and gets more hat on hat. The triple option and a whole bunch of other stuff is designed off of the inside zone. Because Coach Frost spreads the defense out and has wider splits, the ability to hit a home run on a run play is greatly magnified than a Harbaugh because there are more bodies in a tighter space. 

Image result for chip kelly offense oregon inside zone

Thanks for the image and explanation, but that doesn't address what I'm talking about. There's a concept that Frost is running a "power spread", but I'm only seeing spread. I'm totally fine with us running a spread offense, but let's call it what it is (or better yet explain why it is "power spread" and what I'm missing).

2 hours ago, Otterpop said:

Can someone tell me one good team UCF has beaten this year. I'm not saying Frost isn't a good coach but some you act like he's the next Bear Bryant. It's whole different animal facing big 10 teams. 

You know what's cool about the B1G is that if you coach a program in that conference, you get access to B1G level facilities, money, resources, exposure, recruiting pools, and even B1G schedules.

Can someone tell me why it's NOT UCF's fault that they're dominating the teams on their schedule, and why they aren't playing Alabama? Phonies!

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

You know what's cool about the B1G is that if you coach a program in that conference, you get access to B1G level facilities, money, resources, exposure, recruiting pools, and even B1G schedules.

Can someone tell me why it's NOT UCF's fault that they're dominating the teams on their schedule, and why they aren't playing Alabama? Phonies!

People who are using that argument are the people who would have passed on Urban Meyer for the same talking points. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm totally fine with us running a spread offense, but let's call it what it is (or better yet explain why it is "power spread" and what I'm missing).

Lets call it what it is, indeed, by not calling it a spread offense, or pro style, or even "power". These are just dumb descriptors that have no place in an actual football conversation, and because they are poor descriptors, when people try to debate them it just gets messy like this because nobody bothered to properly define them in the first place.

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Lets call it what it is, indeed, by not calling it a spread offense, or pro style, or even "power". These are just dumb descriptors that have no place in an actual football conversation, and because they are poor descriptors, when people try to debate them it just gets messy like this because nobody bothered to properly define them in the first place.

I like the discussions you bring to the board, but if you're going to say "don't use these descriptors", you have to propose an alternative. How can we talk about offenses and offensive philosophies if we can't even categorize them?