** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Just now, Dilly Dilly said:

Teams without coaches typically appoint an interim for bowl games.  It wouldn't make any sense for a new guy to come in and coach them -- they are used to what they practiced all season long, and that new person probably has other ideas on what they will do with the team.

Yes, you’re correct unless the new coach is one of the existing staff members (e.g Walters-their OC).  Regardless, this game would not be coached by Scott so it would be the start of s new era without him. 

4 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

That was my line of thinking and I'd be ok with that situation.

Yes I agree.  He worked on 3 of Alabama's championship teams which isn't a bad resume.  He also worked at Clemson as a recruiting coordinator and the 2008 class finished second in team rankings.  I believe this was before Clemson got real good too...perhaps it's why Clemson became so good.

Edited by HuskerNation1

50 minutes ago, bisonwiches said:

Weirdest hire ever.

With the whole staff staying in place, and just Graham being fired, it seems like less of an Xs and Os thing, and more of a motivation/figurehead thing.

So, I think it makes sense to hire someone who’s a known commodity as a motivator and wants to mentor young men.

High schoolers will know him from ESPN (for now), so he gets that boost in recruiting. He’s stayed around football and has studied players for draft coverage, so it’s not a completely ice cold jump back in.

For as out of left field as it seems, it’s no different than any team hiring Gruden. I applaud Arizona State for thinking outside the box; I think it’s a brilliant move.

Of course, I could be wrong. It’s happened a time or three.

Edited by Edison's Enemy
  • Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

With the whole staff staying in place, and just Graham being fired, it seems like less of an Xs and Os thing, and more of a motivation/figurehead thing.

in that sense, it makes sense to hire someone who’s a known commodity as a motivator and wants to mentor young men.

High schoolers will know him from ESPN (for now), so he gets that boost in recruiting. He’s stayed around football and has studied players for draft coverage, so it’s not a completely ice cold jump back in.

For as out of left field as it seems, it’s no different than any team hiring Gruden. I applaud Arizona State for thinking outside the box; I think it’s a brilliant move.

I think the Edwards hire is a terrible hire. He hasn’t coached in nearly 10 years, and he hasn’t been in the college game since 1989. Just a very odd fit. I heard that Arizona State’s AD used to be Edwards’ agent when he was coaching, so that’s the connection between the two. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think the Edwards hire is a terrible hire. He hasn’t coached in nearly 10 years, and he hasn’t been in the college game since 1989. Just a very odd fit. I heard that Arizona State’s AD used to be Edwards’ agent when he was coaching, so that’s the connection between the two. 

So how does this work? The rest of the staff stayed except the HC. So will Herm just be a figurehead?  That has to be a difficult situation to walk into!

12 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

So, I think it makes sense to hire someone who’s a known commodity as a motivator and wants to mentor young men.

I can see your line of thinking, but, he was never a college head coach, so hopefully he'll adapt.  I guess I have a thing about hiring NFL coaches in that it doesnt work more than it does.  There are a couple good ones that come to mind.  Who knows, maybe Herm will be one of the few that do.  

6 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

So how does this work? The rest of the staff stayed except the HC. So will Herm just be a figurehead?  That has to be a difficult situation to walk into!

I don’t know the details of ASU’s staff and their statuses. I just think it was stupid to hire a former NFL coach, who has been in TV for the past 10 years. 

1 hour ago, bisonwiches said:

Well on other boards they’ve been tracking flights. Same plane that took Moos from Lincoln to Penn St has made a couple trips to Scottsdale over the weekend and then to Orlando today. What they’re proposing is they went down and had Frost sign a deal similar to what Schiano had signed which is essentially a binding agreement but not the contract on Sunday and then got it officially signed today. I have no claim to this just relaying stuff I’ve read.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJM989/history/20171201/0000Z/KBNA/KOMA

Here's the flights if anyone was curious at all.