** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 hours ago, Taylor21 said:

Do his parents still live in Nebraska? Not that it really matters, just curious. 

Yeah. It might matter. Speculation was always that Larry and Carol Frost held some kind of grudge against Osborne and NU during Scott's recruitment, and viewed Stanford as revenge. Especially Larry, a bit of a dick according to some.

Some serious parental ass-kissing couldn't hurt. 

Edited by Guy Chamberlin

2 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

Since we're not supposed to start any new Scotty Frost threads, I'll ask the question here & hope it doesn't get lost in the shuffle...

What would contract offer would you consider fair... AND....

What contract offer would you offer Frost in order to try and get him here in Lincoln? (assuming that's the coach you want)

How many years would you offer? How much base salary per year(guaranteed cash)? How many bonuses, and for what?

Feel free to throw in other coaches, too... I just finished midterms, and I'm bored.

What a great question. I've asked before, how much is too much? 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah. It might matter. Speculation was always that Larry and Carol Frost held some kind of grudge against Osborne and NU during Scott's recruitment, and viewed Stanford as revenge. Especially Larry, a bit of a dick according to some.

I listened to the Carol Frost interview with Dirk Chatelain.  They spoke briefly about Scott's recruitment in high school.  Carol said that Scott and his dad were blown away by Bill Walsh, and that's the main reason Frost ended up at Stanford.  I'm sure Walsh sold him on being a future NFL QB.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I listened to the Carol Frost interview with Dirk Chatelain.  They spoke briefly about Scott's recruitment in high school.  Carol said that Scott and his dad were blown away by Bill Walsh, and that's the main reason Frost ended up at Stanford.  I'm sure Walsh sold him on being a future NFL QB.

Honestly, if Bill Walsh comes to your kitchen in Wood River and wants you to play at one of the finest and most expensive universities in America, you'd be kinda crazy to say no.

But some of the bad blood rumors might still be true, and I don't think Carol would discuss them on the radio. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Honestly, if Bill Walsh comes to your kitchen in Wood River and wants you to play at one of the finest and most expensive universities in America, you'd be kinda crazy to say no.

But some of the bad blood rumors might still be true, and I don't think Carol would discuss them on the radio. 

Agree with everything.  I am sure Larry thought he was hot sh*t in Wood River, and he was one of a few coaches at the time who threw the ball a ton in high school.  He probably didn't want Scott to go to NU and hand off to the RB all game and throw the ball 10-15 times a game.

7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah. It might matter. Speculation was always that Larry and Carol Frost held some kind of grudge against Osborne and NU during Scott's recruitment, and viewed Stanford  as a bit of revenge. Especially Larry, a bit of a dick according to some.

I had never heard this (bolded), but I had heard a rumor with regards to TO being the OC when Larry played RB/WR or didn't play I should say.  Plus, I'd always heard Larry was grooming Scott more for the NFL than for college ball.  I believe he still holds a passing record or two for Nebraska high school football.  No matter how one slices it, it would have been difficult/possibly stupid to turn down a full ride scholarship to Stanford to play QB for a coach who had won three Super Bowls.     

Just now, junior4949 said:

I had never heard this (bolded), but I had heard a rumor with regards to TO being the OC when Larry played RB/WR or didn't play I should say.  Plus, I'd always heard Larry was grooming Scott more for the NFL than for college ball.  I believe he still holds a passing record or two for Nebraska high school football.  No matter how one slices it, it would have been difficult/possibly stupid to turn down a full ride scholarship to Stanford to play QB for a coach who had won three Super Bowls.     

When Scott was coming out of high school, he was touted as the best pro-style QB available.  He was a high school All-American who was throwing the ball all over the place in his dad's offense.  I think it's understandable when he went to Stanford to play for one of the best NFL QB minds of all time.

14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

What a great question. I've asked before, how much is too much? 

If you're on the hook for $5+ million a year to Herman, Sumlin or Jimbo Fisher, you might already be thinking it's too much.

Franklin, Dantonio, and Swinney are sitting near $4.4 million a year, which seems about right. 

Gary Patterson, David Shaw and Mark Richt are getting $4 million a year. Gary Peterson might be a bargain at $3.6 million.

Scott Frost might be this year's hot coach, but it's hard to believe he immediately commands a bigger salary than these guys. 

But I think you can give him something in the adjacent neighborhood, back-ended with perks and incentives. 

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When Scott was coming out of high school, he was touted as the best pro-style QB available.  He was a high school All-American who was throwing the ball all over the place in his dad's offense.  I think it's understandable when he went to Stanford to play for one of the best NFL QB minds of all time.

Turns out both Bill Walsh and Tom Osborne were correct: Scott wasn't a very good passer, and the University of Nebraska was the only place he could be a starting quarterback.

1 minute ago, alwayshusking said:

The market will determine the price. Of the hot coaches last season Fleck is getting 3.3 mil at Minnesota and Herman is getting 5.25 mil at Texas.  Herman had many suitors including LSU.

Coaching salaries aren't always about what someone "deserves" it's about what it takes to get them/keep them.

Only the coach himself knows what that will take, but both his agent and the university will cite the salaries of comparative coaches to get negotiations started. 

I'm not convinced this happened with Harbaugh, though. I think Michigan just threw the biggest number they could afford at him.