Our complete Weight Lifting and strength Approach/ results is abject failure

Looks are one thing, but how they play is telling. They were getting blown off the ball by smaller defensive linemen, and our backs had very little room to run. They lack the quickness and agility to get upfield and block middle and outside linebackers. Managing only 48 yards rushing is pathetic and the onus is mostly on that group 

• Plus1 1

Not enough players from naturally strong families obviously.

I think the NCAA limitations on hitting during practice/practice time have gummed up the works.  It isn't just a Nebraska thing, I watch quite a bit college football and poor conditioning/guys tapping out after a couple plays/etc seems to be growing in common place.

I have noted several times over the past years that our teams are just not in good shape, although I believe we are in general better shape than a couple years ago.   But we clearly are not physically fit to the level needed to compete with the better programs.   We had guys getting cramps and tired in the Sept. games when the temp was only 80 degrees or less and at night.  This should almost never happen.  I think they talked of atleast one cramp in last night's game.  By this time in the season when the air is chlly and at night, there should never be a conditioning issue nor tired players after only a few plays.   Players should be able to play 8 or ten shaps full bore without any issue at all.   My goodness, plays only last for 10 or 15 seconds and then you have 30 second breaks of standing, etc.   These are young men in their prime age and physical shape, presumably.   I don't know what they are eating and how they work out but it is NOT what it should be.   Freshmen may need some serious shaping up but by time they are sophs and junior, they ought to be in GREAT condition.   No excuses.  This is a work ethic thing I would suggest.  It's been this way for a decade but I really thought Epley could turn things around but maybe the players are just not ambitious enough and rather like sitting around playing video games instead of pumping iron and running stadium steps.   

6 hours ago, Depressed Husker said:

...about 8 minuets into game last night I saw a event that encapsulates the whole thing, number 76 I believe, right tackle pancaked by D tackle right into the handoff area where Lee handed ball to RB..I reminded about 10 times and watched..this d tackle exploded straight into  number 76 chest and he went straight back and onto his back

..It was probably the most embarrassing thing to witness of the night..

..and what ensued is example of poor, weak, timid leadership..that player should have immediately been pulled and told to ride the pine until he decides to play football..but of course he remained in game.

Not defending Riley here, that right tackle is either a freshman or red-shirt freshman (and a backup to the hurt starter).  But to your point, when would we ever have seen OL, gassed and being whipped at the line in TO, FS, or even BP? Heck, when would we have ever seen an underclassman starting on the o-line?

the announcer noted on TV that the O-line didn't have one senior on it, that by itself is preplexing, Not used to seeing the O-line like that.  Also, I think there was only one Senior on the D line.  Very young team but lots of growth potential for next season, Bring back Boyd Eply (sp?) to run the S&C?

Edited by San Diego Husker
7 hours ago, Depressed Husker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

..the problems in Husker football program are complex, deep and multifaceted. A strong case could be made the whole entire football system is absolutely broken and current approach, methodologies etc have and are a failure..

...want to discuss a major issue, and it’s a sad one indeed, because it’s an area that absolutely be controlled in contrast to athletic ability etc..im talking about the players physical strength. More specifically the offensive line, however all players are part of same system so all players are in view with this, however it’s most glaring with O-line..

...a strong case could me made this is the physically weakest team in modern husker history (1980-present) ...we all know in general athletic ability, they are probably last in the big 10, however I’m talking about what can be controlled, and that’s the physical strength of the players..

this offensive line is and the whole team in general reflect a failed weight lifting and strength approach. I first just observe the players overall body composition, the linemen has no arms, chests, shoulder mass..I see tackles with fat flappy arms, can’t even see the triceps muscle..they all carrying about 35 pounds of bad, very bad weight (fat) ..I can’t understand what’s going on..I understand this isn’t a bodybuilder sport, I get it, however I allot can be discerned just by the composition of these men’s body composition...I see the whole o-line carries about 30 pounds of absolute horrible weight (fat)..I can’t understand the why behind this..

i watched he’s the huskers peers closey this season, in particular the penn state/ Ohio state game yesterday and observed both teams linemen profile..the contrast to what husker are is mind numbing, they reflect a successful powerlifting and nutrition program, they have huge cores (butt, thighs) and chest and shoulders, which having these 4 areas are a must for a offensive linemen.

the husker o line are pathetic in strength..again I don’t get this, how strong these players get can be changed, I understand coaches can’t make them more “athletic” so to speak but they can build there bodies..

...is any one else seeing this..? The local reporters are historically very insightful, detailed and accurate in their articles and I haven’t seen any of them write about this glaring, easy to see problem.. 

B133DE4B-3E46-45AE-89B0-6A7C5C9EC41A.jpeg

52C895A2-0778-424F-BDA5-C27C154F13C7.jpeg

I have said this for a while.  While some will say we have bigger issues, I think it is a glaring issue. Our linemen are fat, slow and weak and we want to be a running team.  

2 hours ago, San Diego Husker said:

the announcer noted on TV that the O-line didn't have one senior on it, that by itself is preplexing, Not used to seeing the O-line like that.  Also, I think there was only one Senior on the D line.  Very young team but lots of growth potential for next season, Bring back Boyd Eply (sp?) to run the S&C?

If I'm not mistaken Boyd Eppley was brought back into the program 3 years ago when Riley was hired to oversee S & C.  He doesn't do the day to day lifting but he is the architect of the program.  I think what we might be seeing is the lack of steroids that were pretty common in the mid 80's into the 90's.  Perhaps it wasn't Boyd Eppleys lifting that turned our linemen into mountains as much as the pharmaceuticals doing their job.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

If I'm not mistaken Boyd Eppley was brought back into the program 3 years ago when Riley was hired to oversee S & C.  He doesn't do the day to day lifting but he is the architect of the program.  I think what we might be seeing is the lack of steroids that were pretty common in the mid 80's into the 90's.  Perhaps it wasn't Boyd Eppleys lifting that turned our linemen into mountains as much as the pharmaceuticals doing their job.

As much as I hate to admit it, this is probably the most likely answer