A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

49 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It's not really about that. I just think, it's already over, why drag this out. Give the last two games some real meaning.

I certainly will not be angry. I just think circumstances have come to the point where a midseason firing is not only justified, but typical. We could avoid going that route, but I'm not sure what that accomplishes either. *Unless* keeping Riley is actually in the equation, which I'd be on board with but seems really, really unlikely right now.

We know. A full Rile isn't supposed to last that long. 

Shatel wrote after the game that he felt it may be time to fire Riley just to show that you care. It's an argument, but, not one I don't wholly agree with.

Firing Riley at this point serves as little more than ceremony. The interim likely becomes Diaco or Langsdorf, both of whom have been failures this year. I just don't see much value in totally disorganizing everything just to make some in the fan base feel well.

Most of us know and realize Riley is gone in about two weeks. I don't need a ceremonial firing to make me feel better about that.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Will firing Mike Riley after this game give the players purpose? Or will it piss them off that the coach who recruited them has been let go?

How did that work out when we fired the last staff?

Not sure. I think it could go either way and probably would depending on the individual player. But, for all of Pelini’s faults, I don’t think we can say he didn’t inspire the players to perform for him and everyone else in that bunker. I haven’t seen evidence of that with Riley. What I’ve seen is players that don’t know what they are supposed to do or how to do it, and trying to function in an aimless system with no help and, in some cases, being blamed by the coaches. I’ve seen no emotion from this team or these coaches so I’m not real sure we’d see much over them being let go at this point. Does anybody think these players don’t know it is foregone conclusion now? I guess I really don’t know how they would react but I do know the current situation is not good. Guess maybe it’s just a sh#t sandwich either way at this point.

18 minutes ago, Redux said:

Let me settle this once and for all.  If we fire Riley tomorrow, Diaco coaches remaining two games.  Why chance a fluke win against Penn State or Iowa that could see Dicrappo end up getting the damn job???

Let Riley sink with the ship.

I see what you’re saying but the townspeople marching with torches and pitchforks would surely cause Moos to correct that faulty thought process. Pretty hard for the AD to function if his office is in the building being burnt to the ground. Diaco glomming on to the HC position is even less likely than Riley being retained. If Moos, Bounds and Green are that stupid then Husker nation is f#cked anyway.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Shatel wrote after the game that he felt it may be time to fire Riley just to show that you care. It's an argument, but, not one I don't wholly agree with.

Firing Riley at this point serves as little more than ceremony. The interim likely becomes Diaco or Langsdorf, both of whom have been failures this year. I just don't see much value in totally disorganizing everything just to make some in the fan base feel well.

Most of us know and realize Riley is gone in about two weeks. I don't need a ceremonial firing to make me feel better about that.

It doesn't have to be a coordinator who is named coach.  When Andersen walked away from Oregon  State earlier this season, they named the defensive backs coach as head coach.  I wouldn't name Diaco or Langsdorf and their units have been crap all season.  

Just now, Comfortably Numb said:

I see what you’re saying but the townspeople marching with torches and pitchforks would surely cause Moos to correct that faulty thought process. Pretty hard for the AD to function if his office is in the building being burnt to the ground. Diaco glomming on to the HC position is even less likely than Riley being retained. If Moos, Bounds and Green are that stupid then Husker nation is f#cked anyway.

Why let Diaco audition, there's more risk doing that than there is letting Riley cement his record.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I agree with this. And I sure don’t want it to happen if either of the coordinators would take over. IMO, they should be shown the door before Riley. And, since we know that’s not how it will go and that it would be pretty darned hard to go about business without the top 3 guys, we’ll likely have to wait a couple more weeks. I just really wish these players had something to be excited about and a reason to put in the work they do. Guess that’s what happens when you hire a .500 Mr. Rogers for your coach. Everyone loses interest.

8 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

if anything, Moos will likely stand his ground,  bending to fan pressure makes him look weak.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Redux said:

Why let Diaco audition, there's more risk doing that than there is letting Riley cement his record.

Oh don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t give Diaco the chance. I would move up a position coach to interim...or just wait until the final gun of the Iowa game.

When a team quits on its coaching staff, which happened today, you find some reason for these players to play hard.  Either they can play for there coaching staff now, (they have not done) or play hard because they get let go.  This limbo effect is really the reason why we lost the last two weeks.  Its time to correct this ship (players) and get some good for the last two weeks.  Maybe pull an upset.  Maybe just compete.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t give Diaco the chance. I would move up a position coach to interim...or just wait until the final gun of the Iowa game.

What if after the game instead of Riley's post game comments, Moos beats him to the podium and fires him?

That's what I'm going to dream about for the next two weeks.

23 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

It doesn't have to be a coordinator who is named coach.  When Andersen walked away from Oregon  State earlier this season, they named the defensive backs coach as head coach.  I wouldn't name Diaco or Langsdorf and their units have been crap all season.  

Name one of the GAs

17 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's already a foregone conclusion Diaco is the fill in.

Who has made that conclusion? Did I miss something? I mean nobody in their right mind could look at what Diaco has done with this defense and think, yeah, he’ll do nicely. 

Im really holding out hope that Moos is much sharper than that. If I thought he wasn’t, I’d be wrought with fear over the impending hire. Getting it wrong again simply is not an option.