Keyshawn Jr. Gone if Riley is Fired?

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

You mean a recruiting movement that got us a ton of national buzz and publicity, that produced a handful of highly ranked recruits who have the potential to be great productive players to us as they develop, and who (at least some of them) are sticking around after the coach they loved and committed to got fired?

I think the "national buzz" was a little overblown by NU fans, and the dorks who made the Calibraska t-shirts.  Besides Gebbia and KJJ who came from Calabassas, there was only one other signee in the 2017 class from California.  That was Elijah Blades who never made it to NU.  I guess Tyjon Lindsey was persuaded into joining Gebbia and KJJ, as well, and maybe Lamar Jackson in the 2016 class.  So, that's 5 total signees and 3 guys that are still on the team.  Yet, there are certain fans that want to act like KJJ was the most important recruit of the past 10 years, and there were posts that "KJJ has done more for NU than most players who spent their 4-5 years".  Those statements are RIDICULOUS.

EDIT:  I see that Marquel Dismuke also went to Calabassas High School.  So, that's 4 guys still on the team.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 4

8 hours ago, teachercd said:

Riley brought in, roughly, the same ranked classes as Bo...sadly that will not get "it" done.

Agree, Riley did not bring in any better ranked classes than Bo. As far as KJJ in my opinion- I dont think that vision ever materialized into getting more talent here. If we are being real the main reason Tyjon is here is because he knew Bookie was a silent commit and thought he would be playing with his cousin. So I dont give Tyjon much credit to KJJ. 

As far as recruiting rankings go, I think they are 2 fold. Get a good class- but how good are your coaches to coach up that talent. If you look at the recruiting rankings for Clemson. They won their national title and are in their 3rd straight playoff off the back of the 13th and 14th ranked recruiting class per rivals. On a 5 year average they are 11th. That is something Nebraska can attain I think we all agree? 

Penn State 5 year average 21st best class, stanford 24th, Washington 29th, Wisconsin 40th. I just mention this for the sake of we do not need to recruit at a top 5 level to compete and win championships. We need the right blend of recruiting and elite coaching. I think we finally have the elite coaching part in place. Now lets get the kids that fit our system. 

Just look at FSU and LSU they are 4th and 5th in 5 year recruiting and I dont think anyone is impressed with their results. Outside of FSU when they had Jameis. So it takes both pieces- but when you have a great coach you can succeed without the best of the best classes.

17 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I wanted to see what KJJ would have done here ... including Sr. coming on board.  I  would have liked to see that Calabraska connection get solidified.  I really wanted that and thought it would be good for the program.  Californian's have always been a big part of our program.

What surprises me is that KJJ, and obviously his Dad, felt that Scott Frost was and his system was somehow not going to be good for his son.  That really, really surprises me.  There is absolutely nothing at Oregon St. or Fresno St. that is gonna be better that what Nebraska is putting together ... at least if you go off what was accomplished by Frost & Co. in two years.  They seem to believe that .500 football coaches are worth following where ever they go.  But hey ... they made their decision.  I don't even "disagree" with it ... I just don't see Frost & Co as a bad place to leave my son.

Movin' on ... KJJ will be fine.  I won't be dead to him ... but I am moving on.  I hope we can stay connected to Calabraska and build an even better recruiting base out there ... in addition to Florida.  We need both FL and CA kids in our program.

Go Big Red!

My guess is he heard Frost say things are going to change and your going to work harder than ever before and he decided thats not for him :) He was too lazy to do Riley's pud workouts- why would he want to show up and have to earn his keep? Plus i doubt he is fast enough to get on the field. IMHO

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

My guess is he heard Frost say things are going to change and your going to work harder than ever before and he decided thats not for him :) He was too lazy to do Riley's pud workouts- why would he want to show up and have to earn his keep? Plus i doubt he is fast enough to get on the field. IMHO

why are we still talking about this?  its really no big deal.

• Plus1 2

12: Catches and/or interceptions by the eight California skill position players recruited in former Riley’s 2015, 2016 and 2017 classes. All 12 of those catches belong to Tyjon Lindsey. The other three California receivers — Keyshawn Johnson Jr., Lavan Alston and Derrion Grim — left the program. Defensive back Elijah Blades never showed up, defensive backs Marquel Dismuke and Lamar Jackson have yet to notch interceptions and tight end Matt Snyder doesn’t have a catch.

Unless quarterbacks Gebbia or O’Brien make hay — and they just might — the Calibraska era of Husker recruiting was more of a waste of time than a success.

And it’s too bad. Riley tried hard. He was close to making a jackpot out there. But he didn’t.

Sam's thoughts echo some of what's being said here, with a bit more context.

McKewon: Scott Frost got a quarterback fast — he must get it right, too

• Plus1 4
14 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Legitimate Husker fans? i don't think so. There's troll accounts out there (like that obsessed KSU guy) that post dumb stuff, but I really, really doubt legit fans are doing this.

I agree,  I  think that to associate any group of people with what what you find swimming around in the middle of the Twitter Outhouse is a bit of a stretch.   Full disclosure,  I tend to follow a few journalists and coaches in the hope of catching some news a bit quicker, so I stand accused as one who seems to enjoy the benefits of the outhouse.  Although I try not to look at whats under the lid.  

21 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I was thinking this too. Why else would you want to play for a losing coach, when you could play for the coach of the year?

• 4 weeks later...