Erik Chinander

32 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Would be unfair to judge him before he coaches a down here.... I ultimately don't know if he's any good or not, BUT....

Are we setting ourselves up for the same problems down the road that we had before with coordinators and loyalty? How can we be sure we aren't getting another Cosgrove or Banker situation here?

What if Frost completely makes the offense awesome, but we're still garbage on the other side of the ball? People will turn on Frost quickly if Chinander isn't good and we find ourselves plateauing again after 3-4 years. Do we wanna go through the whole thing again where Moos and Frost may begin to fragment over coordinator loyalty?

This is a cycle that absolutely can't repeat itself if we are to be successful. Anymore, when you hire a coach these days, it seems like you get the whole set of assistants attached at the hip.... are head coaches only as good as the weakest links on staff? 

Again, all pure theoretical nonsense....... just expressing needless worry as I am often prone to do.

Yes this has been my concern as well.  I think offensively Frost will get a handle on what needs to be done, but defensively, both in his time at Oregon and at UCF, I would say he has never been involved in a dominant defense.  To me defense wins championships and separates the elite tier (top 5 teams) from the really good ones (6 to 15).  I am also a data guy and do not see anything overly significant in 2 seasons at UCF that suggest Chinander will make the blackshirts dominant again.  And if he and Frost have been close for years, it could be difficult for Frost to let him go in a couple of years if the defense is just average.  Now would be the time to start a clean slate for any assistants who have not demonstrated consistent excellence.

4 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

Of course, the defense has been so terrible, that I think most of us would probably take an "adequate" defense with a pretty good offense, at least for a little while :)

If they can recreate what they are doing, a great O and a more than average turnover creating decent defense. That will be a very good start.

I'm hoping he's a little adaptable in a game situation.  Or at least open to suggestions, so in a game like Minnesota, Frost could get on the headset and say something like, "Hey you see that QB running for 50 yards a carry?  He only completes 28% of his passes, so maybe try to get him to throw the ball.".

• Plus1 2

If he comes, I think he would do OK at Nebraska. I mean the ceiling is high really on all defensive assistants. No where to go but up. I just think a 4-3 defense will be preferred over 3-4 which is what they mostly ran at UCF this year. It will be interesting to see if they'll decide to switch schemes again or not change much. 

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... I realize I said this one year ago.  And it proved to be incorrect.  But I'm going to say it again....

Pretty sure it can't get worse than was this past year.  Almost anything will be an improvement.  Hopefully it's a relatively quick building process.

This past year was rough.  NU has not had a dominant defense since 2009, and that year's team is the standard they should be pursuing.  

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... I realize I said this one year ago.  And it proved to be incorrect.  But I'm going to say it again....

Pretty sure it can't get worse than was this past year.  Almost anything will be an improvement.  Hopefully it's a relatively quick building process.

I don't know, I thought it was impossible to do worse than Cosgrove, then we got Diaco :)

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

Would one think Lubick would coach WR’s as well or just hold the OC title?  Makes a difference if we keep K. Williams or not.

Since Walters is currently the OC/WR, that would make sense.

But there would still be a place for a fifth offensive assistant - OC/WR, QB, RB, OL, ???.  Currently UCF has a TE/Recruiting Coordinator.  So it may be possible to fit Williams in under something like that.  Not sure it's that likely at this point, but possible.

This is from an older article from when Chinander was announced to be going to UCF.

Q: Where you've been in the past you've run a 3-4 defensive front. Is that what you envision for the UCF defense going forward?

A: "Is there going to three down linemen? Yeah, maybe. Sometimes, sometimes not. The thing I don’t understand – you guys know more about it than I do now – you know, there's a three-technique, a five-technique and a one-technique. This guy's got his hand on the ground and now it's a 4-3. Now he's standing up and it's a 3-4. It's going to be a multiple defense. Sometimes it'll be four guys with their hands down, sometimes three."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-ucf-erik-chinander-football-post.html

• Plus1 2