Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

On 12/19/2017 at 9:57 AM, BlitzFirst said:

So, Mike Riley was hired on Dec 5 of his respective year and got our recruiting class up to 21 members and it was ranked 30th.

Where do you think we end up at with this class and how do you rate it versus Mike Riley's job in 2014 when he was hired?  Is everyone still going to be extremely impressed with recruiting in the new staff when you compare it accordingly?

Just curious what people's takes are on this.

Will be interesting to see.  Riley got two four-star commits in two months.  One was on campus less than a year and the other seems headed toward being a non-contributor.

Frost got two four-star commits in two weeks.  Has another month to finish out.  Obviously too early to see how any of them turn out.

On 12/19/2017 at 1:49 PM, BlitzFirst said:

His recruiting always impressed me because he ABSOLUTELY disproved Pelini's claim that you can't get higher star ranked kids to visit Nebraska. 

Let's not act like he (Riley) was the worst at it and give credit where credit is due...as well as not giving too much credit where it isn't due (yet).

That's not what Pelini said but OK.

Riley did a very good job getting kids to come visit.  He did an average (or below-average, depending on how you look at it) job of signing kids.  So relative to who he got to visit, the results were not great.

• Plus1 2
19 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I realize what the class is currently ranked (45th per 247) but I like some of these pick ups.  Martinez, Bell, CJ Smith, Williams, Mapieu among others.  I believe in these coaches.

If we get to 20-22 with average 3 starsthe class will be what Riley got last year, so the fact they were able to salvage this and potentially improve on last year is quite a statement.

Edited by theknife

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Will that be resolved soon or do we hold a spot and pray? 

And what is a preferred walk on? 

I heard that Mapry is taking 4 online courses this semester to get caught up on academic issues he had earlier in his high school career.  I think we are still holding a spot to him, and will know more about his academic situation before the February signing date.  Of course, academic issues can drag all the way into the Spring, as well.

3 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Will that be resolved soon or do we hold a spot and pray? 

And what is a preferred walk on? 

PWOs are formally invited to attend fall camp as one of the 105 players that will be there before classes start. The difference is that if you aren’t formally invited like this, then you have to wait and hope for walk-on tryouts. PWOs are allowed to sign with any other team and aren’t obligated to show up.

• 11 months later...