Extremely impressed with the new staff on the recruiting trail

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I didn't say I'd hold it against him, but yes he is partially responsible for this recruiting class and when I said he'd be a little to blame I was responding to a poster insinuating he had no responsibility for the results of this recruiting cycle. I disagree with that.

Frost and the staff have responsibility for the results in this recruiting cycle, but I am not going to be overly critical of the results of this class.  I will care more about how Frost recruits in 2019 and 2020 when he has an entire year to work on the recruiting classes.

• Plus1 2

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost and the staff have responsibility for the results in this recruiting cycle, but I am not going to be overly critical of the results of this class.  I will care more about how Frost recruits in 2019 and 2020 when he has an entire year to work on the recruiting classes.

Neither am I and I think my comments are being blown out of proportion. Obviously a full recruiting cycle is a better indication of recruiting ability of which I think Frost has plenty. There can still be a standard for this class though, there is just an understanding the meeting or not meeting of that standard is of less importance than any other class. I have a bar which I think wouod be doable and good to get to but I won't be that concerned if that bar isn't met.

6 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

So, Mike Riley was hired on Dec 5 of his respective year and got our recruiting class up to 21 members and it was ranked 30th.

Where do you think we end up at with this class and how do you rate it versus Mike Riley's job in 2014 when he was hired?  Is everyone still going to be extremely impressed with recruiting in the new staff when you compare it accordingly?

Just curious what people's takes are on this.

I was hoping that HCSF recruiting would have gone better then it has so far given Frost's credentials but consider the headwinds he is facing. I believe that the on field results of the past 3 years has snuffed out any excitement recruits had for Nebraska.  Recruiting during the season practically died. Most of the recruits that had interest moved on. Bo's firing wasn't a sure thing like Riley's. Frost & Riley walked into two totally different situations. Frost needs to rebuild the program and that includes recruiting. I'm grateful that the Riley era ended when it did and we have new management that appears willing to right the ship. Patience is needed.

• Plus1 2

58 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

So, Mike Riley was hired on Dec 5 of his respective year and got our recruiting class up to 21 members and it was ranked 30th.

Where do you think we end up at with this class and how do you rate it versus Mike Riley's job in 2014 when he was hired?  Is everyone still going to be extremely impressed with recruiting in the new staff when you compare it accordingly?

Just curious what people's takes are on this.

Luckily, Riley didn't inherit a 4-win team where recruits were already looking to jump ship. In that class, Pelini had already secured commitments from Eric Lee, Avery Anderson, Carlos Davis, Stanley Morgan, Khalil Davis, Christian Gaylord, Aaron Williams, Daishon Neal, and Michael Decker. That's 9 of the Top 14 recruits of that class. I do give Riley credit for keeping them. He also snagged top recruits Jalin Barnett and Jordan Stevenson, which haven't really panned out. Riley also didn't have to compete against the new early signing period less than 3 weeks from hire.

• Plus1 2

I want to wait and see what everything looks like come February 4th.

There's a logical fallacy in comparing FHCMR's first recruiting class to Frost's. Riley lost his job. Does Frost finishing better, on par or worse really tell us anything? I question the relevancy of such comparisons. Frost is also having to coach a team in a major bowl game. Riley didn't have to worry about that.