Frost's Blueprint for success

lo country

Good article IMHO about Frost's vision to return NU to prominence.  A definite nod to the past with an eye to the future.  Talks about the culture, developing the talent and outworking teams....

“The formula at a lot of places is to recruit five stars and throw them on the field and hope you out-recruited everybody. The formula at Nebraska is going to be hard work and developing players better than everybody else,” he said. “Over and over I see three-star kids that end up being better players in college than kids that were hyped up and five-star recruits. We’re going to get our share of players, and our mission is to do better with them once they hit campus.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/12/21/scott-frosts-blueprint-nebraska-recruit-smart-develop-players-no-short-cuts/974244001/

I think we are in good hands.....  

• Plus1 6

14 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have bought in but I wonder how many fans will really understand the patience necessary?  We need to refer to this during the hard times we endure over the next few years.  It's a long road that will have bumps...  we as fans need to stay the course.

I get that but it doesn't take "time and patience" to beat NW, IL, Minny, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Iowa...It doesn't take time and patience to win your crappy non-conference games.

The 9 wins (our patience) are there...the rest of it...beating Wisconsin or Michigan or OSU or PSU or MSU (I don't think much of them actually) that is where there might need to be some time.

• Plus1 4
21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I have bought in but I wonder how many fans will really understand the patience necessary?  We need to refer to this during the hard times we endure over the next few years.  It's a long road that will have bumps...  we as fans need to stay the course.

I think this team isn't nearly as bad, or deficient in "talent" as some believe.  I am assuming that starting now the players buy-in and effort will be much improved.  For one, I sincerely doubt that Frost and these new coaches will be as soft as on the players as the previous staff was.  Second, if it is true that "the best player plays" then you'll see much better participation in practice.  And better participation and effort in practice will by default yield to better outcomes in games.

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

The same people fall into the fallacy everytime.  There will not need to be this mysterious "time" that those fans feel the need to talk about.  Same garbage with Bill and Mike, coming off successful coaches, for some reason they need this "time".  No Scott doesn't need time, he will change the the way we play immediately.   You can keep waiting for this "time".  I will continue to expect football excellence every single year, from every single coach, from every single player.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The same people fall into the fallacy everytime.  There will not need to be this mysterious "time" that those fans feel the need to talk about.  Same garbage with Bill and Mike, coming off successful coaches, for some reason they need this "time".  No Scott doesn't need time, he will change the the way we play immediately.   You can keep waiting for this "time".  I will continue to expect football excellence every single year, from every single coach, from every single player.

Well, technically Scott is coming off an unsuccessful coach that allowed a losing attitude. 

In year one I honestly just expect improvement in overall play and no losses to horrible teams. 

We will get blown out by at least one team in 2018, most likely OSU again. If you honestly expect anything more than 7 or 8 wins this year, you will be vastly disappointed. You did not say that, but I am just wondering what your definition of "football excellence" is? A number of wins or is it a play your heart out every game and let the rest take care of itself? 

• Plus1 1

Hopefully, the upcoming season will finally put to rest the never ending "talent' debate.   It seems fairly well accepted that Frost is an excellent coach and therefore, if the talent is really there, we will see immediatel improvement in the team (atleast 9 wins and competitive in the losses we do suffer) and if the wins don't come, we'll know the talent is NOT there.   

I think it is highly likely we will see a much better conditioned, football 'fit' team that takes the field in 9 months.   This alone should translate into a much better performance against the weakest opponents.   We should be able to produce some 3 or 4 TD wins against those just by being in much better physical and mental condition.  It seems hardly debatable that we have more talent than the bottom third of the schedule.  The top third will be tough.  The middle third should be competitive but if Frost and Company instill their schemes and the players are truly capable (i.e. talented enough), then those games should be wins (by a 7 to 14 pts) although they may be competitive going into the fourth quarter.   Our conditioning should be a big factor late in games as well.   No more watching our team 'wear down' and run out of gas when the crunch time hits.     

• Plus1 2
58 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hopefully, the upcoming season will finally put to rest the never ending "talent' debate.   It seems fairly well accepted that Frost is an excellent coach and therefore, if the talent is really there, we will see immediatel improvement in the team (atleast 9 wins and competitive in the losses we do suffer) and if the wins don't come, we'll know the talent is NOT there.   

I think it is highly likely we will see a much better conditioned, football 'fit' team that takes the field in 9 months.   This alone should translate into a much better performance against the weakest opponents.   We should be able to produce some 3 or 4 TD wins against those just by being in much better physical and mental condition.  It seems hardly debatable that we have more talent than the bottom third of the schedule.  The top third will be tough.  The middle third should be competitive but if Frost and Company instill their schemes and the players are truly capable (i.e. talented enough), then those games should be wins (by a 7 to 14 pts) although they may be competitive going into the fourth quarter.   Our conditioning should be a big factor late in games as well.   No more watching our team 'wear down' and run out of gas when the crunch time hits.     

Have you seen our schedule next year? 9 wins would be a freaking miracle, even for Saban.

On 12/22/2017 at 1:15 AM, Toe said:

Somebody say blueprint?

uonf.jpg

Or if you prefer, a redprint:

UNIVERSITY-OF-NEBRASKA-FINAL-COLOR-ZOOM.

These are awesome.

If Frost can keep the program on an upward trajectory, I think he’ll keep even the most impatient fans off his back. 

Most fans understand when things just don’t look right and start losing hope and confidence with the staff. From Callahan to Pelini to Riley, it happened.

Frost will win the games that we’re supposed to, and eventually the games that matter.  He’ll get a longer leash than any of the previous coaches.  

We are Minnesota or Northwestern  at this point and it’s going to take some seasons to get up to Ohio St level.  Any fans that don’t realize that truly don’t understand how far the program has sunken.  

I do believe Frost will get it going here again.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I couldn't agree more. I think competency, to go along with buy-in, will make Nebraska a very dangerous team year one. I will not be disappointed if they fall short but I do expect 8-9 wins from this team next year. This program lends itself to that. 

• Plus1 2