Parkland, FL High School Shooting

1 minute ago, ZRod said:

I don't understand why introducing more of the object creating the problem into the environment seems like a good idea...

Cop happens on the school as the shooter is active... Cuz hypotheticals all around.

It's pretty simple math

Bad guy with gun vs students with no guns equals dead students.  Bad guy with gun vs students protected by guard with gun equals fighting chance.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's pretty simple math

Bad guy with gun vs students with no guns equals dead students.  Bad guy with gun vs students protected by guard with gun equals fighting chance.

Bad guy not allowed to get a gun, no need to fight....

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

Bad guy not allowed to get a gun, no need to fight....

Here we go again...

See, this is what drives me nuts about this debate.  As soon as I suggest making guns impossible to get will cause the evil s#!ts to get more creative in obtaining weapons I'm met with we should still try.  But offering innocent students protection is met with hypotheticals and criticism.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Redux said:

Here we go again...

Kind of how I feel Everytime someone says we need more guns to be safe...

I hope you know I'm being half hearted in my replies, but if we need guards, so be it. It's just disgusting that it's come to that. It's a bandaid that likely will cause more problems than it solves. I'm not a fan of bandaids, they nickle and dime you and only mask the true problem.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Why not allow teachers to carry guns? Why not hire unemployed veterans and arm them to guard schools?

To the first question, maybe part of an answer is that tons of teachers and police officers are pleading, "please, no, do not do that." Do you know any teachers? I know several. Not only are they already criminally underpaid and overworked, they're also not at all qualified to also act as trained and armed security guards ready to take lethal action if necessary. The solution to America's insane gun problem and gun culture is not more guns. That's obvious to everyone in the entire world except for a small minority of Americans.

To the second question, most of us would honestly be fine with that, assuming they have proper training/vetting. But it's also a tiny, tiny, tiny part of the solution. The school in Florida had an armed guard. It didn't help any. That's not to say it couldn't help in some scenarios, but if we want to do that we also have to do several other things. Fun fact - worldwide most mass shootings happen on military bases. The places that are filled with trained soldiers with weapons. 13 people died at Fort Hood in 2009. How many armed military were there? How much good did it do?

• Plus1 7
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

To the first question, maybe part of an answer is that tons of teachers and police officers are pleading, "please, no, do not do that." Do you know any teachers? I know several. Not only are they already criminally underpaid and overworked, they're also not at all qualified to also act as trained and armed security guards ready to take lethal action if necessary. The solution to America's insane gun problem and gun culture is not more guns. That's obvious to everyone in the entire world except for a small minority of Americans.

To the second question, most of us would honestly be fine with that, assuming they have proper training/vetting. But it's also a tiny, tiny, tiny part of the solution. The school in Florida had an armed guard. It didn't help any. That's not to say it couldn't help in some scenarios, but if we want to do that we also have to do several other things. Fun fact - worldwide most mass shootings happen on military bases. The places that are filled with trained soldiers with weapons. 13 people died at Fort Hood in 2009. How many armed military were there? How much good did it do?

I’m not convinced that teachers as a group are underpaid. Some are, while others are drastically overpaid. They also work about 8 months a year. Moreover, we spend a ridiculous amount on public education. Most districts spend around $13,000-15,000 per student per year. That’s a crazy amount of money. OPS has an annual budget of more than half a billion dollars a year. Unfortunately, they waste most of it on busing, paying hordes of do-nothing fat cat administrators, teaching grade schoolers the finer points of masturbation and anal sex, and all kinds of other worthless liberal nonsense. But the money to pay the teachers a decent salary is there. So is the money to pay them to protect their classrooms.

This was a big school, set up as a campus with multiple buildings. If there are armed guards and it’s well known there are armed guards, it not only protects the school from an attack, but discourages one in the first place. That’s the whole logic behind making soft targets into hard targets. 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m not convinced that teachers as a group are underpaid. Some are, while others are drastically overpaid. They also work about 8 months a year. Moreover, we spend a ridiculous amount on public education. Most districts spend around $13,000-15,000 per student per year. That’s a crazy amount of money. OPS has an annual budget of more than half a billion dollars a year. Unfortunately, they waste most of it on busing, paying hordes of do-nothing fat cat administrators, teaching grade schoolers the finer points of masturbation and anal sex, and all kinds of other worthless liberal nonsense. But the money to pay the teachers a decent salary is there. So is the money to pay them to protect their classrooms.

This was a big school, set up as a campus with multiple buildings. If there are armed guards and it’s well known there are armed guards, it not only protects the school from an attack, but discourages one in the first place. That’s the whole logic behind making soft targets into hard targets. 

ummm....yeah.   you have gone off the deep end.   let me guess...you listen to KFAB all day and watch fox news only.   

• Plus1 6

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I just read and watch the news. Which part of the highlighted statement is incorrect?

your  listed curriculum is rather...ok...it's way off base and something  a far right nutjob would say

Edited by commando
  • Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I just read and watch the news. Which part of the highlighted statement is incorrect?

You can't post something contentious and then put the onus on your fellow posters to prove or explain why you're wrong, particularly when you're saying things like busing being a 'waste' of money and schools are teaching students the finer points of anal sex. The former is an odd claim and the latter is pure foolishness.

That's not how debate works and that's not how this board works.

• Plus1 3