Russia

42 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I agree that a strong nato benefits the United States. Im just not sold that adding countries like the baltic states of Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia or maybe Ukraine some day makes nato stronger or the United States safer. Sure it putting nato's military capabilities closer to Russia has its benefits but you also have to weigh that against possibly provoking a Russian response.

I'm a moron and I'm probably wrong about most geopolitical opinions i have. But lets say nato announces it's going to hold a vote on adding ukraine or Georgia (not the state) and in response russia invades and kills thousands of people? Again I'm dumb and just like talking with you guys but to me it just seems like the possible juice isn't worth the squeeze.

All good points. It's tough to know which of the possible actions will or won't provoke Russia and even whether or not we should be provoked by one or more of their actions.

10 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I might be wrong but i couldn't care less if russia is flexing its muscles in a region that has always been in its sphere of influence. It sucks for the people of Ukraine and a lot countries that used to be part of the ussr but it shouldn't be the US's problem.

Ethically and ideologically, IMO, any problem of injustice/authoritarianism/oppression around the world is a problem for everyone in the world. Even if it's not, it ought to be, and not even from a virtue signaling holier than thou high horse, but ultimately in big and small ways, fundamental and tangential ways, we all suffer when we allow injustices anywhere.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 11:15 PM, Landlord said:

Ethically and ideologically, IMO, any problem of injustice/authoritarianism/oppression around the world is a problem for everyone in the world. Even if it's not, it ought to be, and not even from a virtue signaling holier than thou high horse, but ultimately in big and small ways, fundamental and tangential ways, we all suffer when we allow injustices anywhere.

Agreed and well stated.  This is a 'burden' the USA has carried since the beginning of WW2.  Could you imagine the world if Hitler and Japan had gone unchecked, or Chinese and Soviet expansion in SE Asia, Soviet expansion into the Western Hemisphere, etc, etc.  We haven't always done it right and there are places we could have been more diplomatic but by and large we've had to lead the charge with the support of others to confront injustice and totalitarianism where it is found.  And it doesn't have to be done by the military. The Peace Corps was founded by JFK for that purpose - of influencing minds and meeting needs in improvised areas before Soviet propaganda could take root and corrupt the people.    American generosity is our greatest 'weapon' against the spread of corrupting political doctrines.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

“Any external intervention is very dangerous,” Dmitri S. Peskov, the spokesman for President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia, told reporters in Moscow. “We consider the attempt to usurp the top power in Venezuela as going against the foundations and principles of the international law.”

This is rich coming from Putin.

I almost wonder if the game he is playing is to act as a defender of all foreign leaders just to make it look like that’s all he was doing in Ukraine when the pro-Russian president was ousted.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

@TonyStalloni is it refreshing that the President of the United States believes an ex KGB agent who spent his life spying on and working against the US and is now their dictator/President over our own intelligence agencies?

Philippe Reines is someone who likes throwing crap on the wall to see if any of it sticks and thinks he is much smarter and more important than he is..  It's possible he could even be right 5% of the time. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TonyStalloni said:

Philippe Reines is someone who likes throwing crap on the wall to see if any of it sticks and thinks he is much smarter and more important than he is..  It's possible he could even be right 5% of the time. 

Weird that you chose to comment about the guy that commented on the 60 minutes tweet as opposed to having an opinion of McCabe or the guy that interviewed him.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

So about the President not listening to his own Intel teams, but Vladimir Putin...

• Plus1 1