JUCO RB Dedrick Mills [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

so he was taken into custody in Georgia, he lived in Kansas....soooooo lots of reasons why he may not have paid the ticket or known that he had a warrant out for his arrest...

I had a warrant in New Mexico for the same issue.  I mailed the payment in via money order, they cashed it and then said I never paid.  I only found out when Nevada DMV mailed me about my license being suspended, 8 months later.  I found my receipt for the money order, had an attorney contact the authorities in NM and eventually they owned up to their mistake after I paid 80 bucks again and then another 20 to get my license reinstated in NV.  In total paid 180 for a 80 dollar ticket for going 80 in a 70 through Clovis, NM.  It sucked but was easier to pay again and get screwed by their F up and crooked a$$ Indian cops.

19 hours ago, SECHusker said:

Agreed. If he isn't fully qualified and is missing court dates, that points to a character flaw. And as we are establishing our culture, do we need to take this risk?

Siri, search "1990s Nebraska Cornhusker Football criminal incidents", please. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
57 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Siri, search "1990s Nebraska Cornhusker Football criminal incidents", please. 

Does this have to be a standard for how we run our program now????  Different times in the internet age bub.  Things are held to a higher standard with the wealth of information at our fingertips. 

• Fire 2

I think we should definitely take Mills. However, with all this stuff surfacing up right before he signs, it does concern me. Because of this, we should probably take both Mills and Bivens. If Mills does something that would get him kicked off the team, breaking team rules, or doing something dumb, we will have Bivens on the team to take charge while he sits or doesn't play. I think Frost and co and clean him up a bit, but you just never know with players like this one. That is why if Frost wants to be committed to players such as Mills, and tell him the next guy up takes your spot if you want to mess around or not follow the rules.  

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I think we should definitely take Mills. However, with all this stuff surfacing up right before he signs, it does concern me. Because of this, we should probably take both Mills and Bivens. If Mills does something that would get him kicked off the team, breaking team rules, or doing something dumb, we will have Bivens on the team to take charge while he sits or doesn't play. I think Frost and co and clean him up a bit, but you just never know with players like this one. That is why if Frost wants to be committed to players such as Mills, and tell him the next guy up takes your spot if you want to mess around or not follow the rules.  

all the stuff surfacing? He didnt pay a speeding ticket....it isnt like he was dealing drugs or beating women....my lord folks come on now 

• Plus1 6
5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

all the stuff surfacing? He didnt pay a speeding ticket....it isnt like he was dealing drugs or beating women....my lord folks come on now 

All I am saying is we should take both him and Bivens because he has a history of problems. This guy is obviously not responsible enough to get to court on time. How can we know he will show up to class or team meetings? Anyway, I'm not freaking out but he did break the law and the law is written. So while this may not be that big of a deal, it just adds to the many things he has done where he shows he is not responsible at age 22. I want him on this team, but I really want Bivens as well and it just makes sense to take both. 

32 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The article at the bottom is what the other person is referring to I think for "stuff surfacing".

The facts are it wasn't just not paying a speeding ticket, it was also failing to appear in court after. He also has an arrest it appears a year ago for also failing to appear for a different offense. This is on top of being kicked off the team at Georgia Tech. I would call that a pattern of behavior forming.  I agree it isn't a serious offense like assault, but it is a bit concerning none the less.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-commit-mills-receives-probation-in-georgia-for-missing-court/article_d887e419-a680-54af-bbd4-6a40ad3d4eff.amp.html

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
21 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

All I am saying is we should take both him and Bivens because he has a history of problems. This guy is obviously not responsible enough to get to court on time. How can we know he will show up to class or team meetings? Anyway, I'm not freaking out but he did break the law and the law is written. So while this may not be that big of a deal, it just adds to the many things he has done where he shows he is not responsible at age 22. I want him on this team, but I really want Bivens as well and it just makes sense to take both. 

Do you know his background or history as it pertains to money? Maybe the tickets etc were sent to his parents house and they had moved or they never told him about it? Also please tell me the "many" things he has done? He was kicked off GTech for breaking team rules and now he didnt pay a speeding ticket? Show me the many? He did nothing that was violent and has had zero issue like Randy Gregory had with pot. Maybe he didnt have the money to pay the ticket? Maybe he didnt know he could get a warrant out for his arrest if he didnt pay it? None of us can attempt to judge his character when we have heard that he is a good kid from Coach Sims. 

Just now, runningblind said:

The article at the bottom is what the other person is referring to I think for "stuff surfacing".

The facts are it wasn't just not paying a speeding ticket, it was also failing to appear in court after. He also has an arrest it appears a year ago for also failing to appear for a different offense. This is on top of being kicked off the team at Georgia Tech. I would call that a pattern of behavior forming.  I agree it isn't a serious offense like assault, but it is a bit concerning none the less.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/husker-commit-mills-receives-probation-in-georgia-for-missing-court/article_d887e419-a680-54af-bbd4-6a40ad3d4eff.amp.html

they are both for speeding tickets and the suspended license magically appears if you dont give the government your money. 

7 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

so he was taken into custody in Georgia, he lived in Kansas....soooooo lots of reasons why he may not have paid the ticket or known that he had a warrant out for his arrest...

two failures to appear in GA and one in Kansas.  while he isn't a woman beater it does show some immaturity and potential character issues (not being responsible for actions, repeating the same mistakes over and over).  I want to see this kid excel, but he needs to get his house in order.  While these charges are mostly minor, they can/do show a trend of poor decision making with the student athlete.  Now, do I think we should give up on him??  the jury is out for me, I will respect HCSF decision on the matter.  the coaching staff knows way more then I/we do. 

• Mavric changed the title to JUCO RB Dedrick Mills [Nebraska - Signed LOI]