Options for Game #12

Red Five

If we "officially" schedule anything at this point, it about has to be during our bye week.

There are several teams that share the same bye week as us, and would likely be willing to take a pay check. Marshall, Louisiana Monroe, UTSA, ect.

If we want to keep or our regular bye week, but also don't want to lock ourselves into a deal during the CCG weekend, then the smart thing to do would be to go find a team for that weekend, and essentially come to an option-agreement, and just not make it an official game at this point. We should still get everything scheduled and lined up within the next 2 weeks, so we don't have to do it short notice, but still leave an option in the contract that lets us cancel if we do happen to sneak into the ccg.

4 minutes ago, Oade said:

If we "officially" schedule anything at this point, it about has to be during our bye week.

There are several teams that share the same bye week as us, and would likely be willing to take a pay check. Marshall, Louisiana Monroe, UTSA, ect.

If we want to keep or our regular bye week, but also don't want to lock ourselves into a deal during the CCG weekend, then the smart thing to do would be to go find a team for that weekend, and essentially come to an option-agreement, and just not make it an official game at this point. We should still get everything scheduled and lined up within the next 2 weeks, so we don't have to do it short notice, but still leave an option in the contract that lets us cancel if we do happen to sneak into the ccg.

Ya. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to put a conditional on it. "We'll play you if we don't win the West division, if we do win the West everything is void."

4 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

No, I don’t think you understand.

Fans WANT more football. Period.

Oh trust me.  I was pi$$ed, depressed you name it last night.  Especially after Fox saying the game would be played and then finding out it wasn't. I want a 12 game season.   I'm looking at it from a bowl game/championship perspective.  In the grand scheme the addition of a game won't accomplish whatever goals the team has set.  Winning will.

What I hate, is it's one less came for Stan to play to get the yrds for 1000 season or JD....One less game for the seniors.  No "test" drive before Colorado.  I loathe the Buffs.

9 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We all knew severe weather was going to be around for some time Saturday night...why not move the game to 2:30 and announcr Friday night instead of now trying to come up with unrealistic options.

Honestly, they should have been looking into that. Yes, it would have screwed with FOX, but the game itself is more important than the TV partners. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, they should have been looking into that. Yes, it would have screwed with FOX, but the game itself is more important than the TV partners. 

They could have done a delayed broadcast.     IMO, the issue was that they would have had to finalize it on Friday morning so people traveling could adjust their schedule,  but historically speaking this has a 1 in 400 chance of happening.  Not worth the trouble, especially if the weather had ended up cooperating.  

2 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

They could have done a delayed broadcast.     IMO, the issue was that they would have had to finalize it on Friday morning so people traveling could adjust their schedule,  but historically speaking this has a 1 in 400 chance of happening.  Not worth the trouble, especially if the weather had ended up cooperating.  

Agreed. The decision would have needed to be done well in advance. It’s a tough decision, and we are looking at it with hindsight. 

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I'd hate to play an FCS team. It's a lose lose for us IMHO.  We win big, we should have. We lose and the ceiling crashes in and floor falls out...I just don't like playing the FCS schools.  That's just me.

The SEC does it every single year. It is an easy game for the starters and helps the depth of the team as the young kids get PT, especially with the new 4 game rule. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

The SEC does it every single year. It is an easy game for the starters and helps the depth of the team as the young kids get PT, especially with the new 4 game rule. 

Jut like Clemson with Furman.  Bama gets The Citadel (who beat South Carolina a few years ago)....I know most major conferences do it, I just don't like it.

Yes it gets guys experience, but it also gets guys hurt.  When a FCS team plays a FBS team it's their NC game.  David vs Goliath.  They go all out and at times the FBS school slow rolls the game and guys get hurt or dinged up.  

Again, not aimed at you.  I just don't like it.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

From Corn Nation, best write-up I have seen so far with out options

The good news for Nebraska is that there is a way for the Huskers to get back to 12 games. It might require Bill Moos to pay up more money, but it is in the best interest of Nebraska.

The first option is to find an eligible opponent during the Huskers bye week. There is an option that comes to mind for the Huskers here. It is facing the East Carolina Pirates.

Here is how this would work. Nebraska would buy out East Carolina playing a non-conference game against the Old Dominion Monarch’s. Old Dominion and Akron would then play a non-conference game instead on September 29th. ECU would have their buy on September 29th, and would schedule the non-conference game against the Huskers on October 27th.

While the Huskers could pull that off, I would rate it as unlikely. Nebraska will probably want a bye week during the year. The Huskers have to go to Ohio State after their bye week as well.

The other option for Nebraska is that they could schedule a game for the weekend of December 1st. Nebraska has about six teams that they could pick from to play this weekend as well.

Teams that have not played a full 12 games are eligible, as well as teams that have made a trip to Hawaii and have not played 13 games. Current teams that would fit for this weekend are the Iowa State Cyclones, South Dakota State Jackrabbits, Akron Zips under the first rule. Under the Hawaii exemption, teams that would fit include Wyoming, Nevada, Utah State, and the University of Nevada-Las Vegas.

More here - > https://www.cornnation.com/2018/9/2/17811566/how-nebraska-huskers-can-play-12-games-with-cancellation-wyoming-iowa-state-possibly

Why wouldn't we reschedule Akron for Dec. 1 then?