We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

8 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Besides bunch lack of talent compared to Martinez my biggest concern is how much of the offense he knows. I Dont think they have a lot of the offense installed even when Martinez is in there because after being unstoppable in the first half the offense didn't do much in the second half after Colorado made adjustments. 

If you combine a walk on qb with a stripped down offense that was already vanilla it will get bad on offense. Martinez needs to heal up quickly.

Said the same last night.  CU adjusted defensively and we did nothing to counter it.  It is as if we had no answer (or as you said).  I didn't see a lot of the O that UCF ran.  Granted last year was year 2 in that system.  But I didnt see many wrinkles that you saw form UCF that I thought I would.  Until Bunch came in, no TE play at all.....

If the book was pared down for AM, I can only imagine how it looks for Bunch.

Art Briles is a terrible and awful person, but was a really good coach at Baylor. A few years ago, I think 2013 or 2014, Baylor lost all their QBs to injury before a bowl game against North Carolina.

Baylor shifted their offense to more of a single-wing veer offense and put a really good athlete at QB. They then ran it almost every play against UNC and destroyed them.

Obviously this isn't the same scenario. Nebraska doesn't have a month before its next game and the Huskers don't have top-10 talent. If Martinez is out for a while though and Bunch goes down with an injury, then they may have to try something like this.

We had a previous coaching staff and administration who completely messed up the program by bringing in a system that hasn't worked in nebraska ever. Coupled with a QB who leaves 1 week before the season on his own accord. Followed by the starting freshman QB getting hurt in the first game of action. 

I get it... It sucks. Hopefully Nebraska can get some good things to finally go there way. I feel good about where this team can go from where they were. They could lose every game this year given these circumstances and then some and I'd still feel better than any time under Riley.

The thing about Frost though. He doesnt make any excuses. I might make excuses. You might make excuses. Frost expects to win and keeps working. That's not how Riley did or ever will operate. 

We good. Team just has to keep working.

19 minutes ago, lo country said:

Said the same last night.  CU adjusted defensively and we did nothing to counter it.  It is as if we had no answer (or as you said).  I didn't see a lot of the O that UCF ran.  Granted last year was year 2 in that system.  But I didnt see many wrinkles that you saw form UCF that I thought I would.  Until Bunch came in, no TE play at all.....

If the book was pared down for AM, I can only imagine how it looks for Bunch.

This team might be a lot like frost's first year at ucf where the defense had to carry them to 6 wins. Also would have like to see them target the TEs more. Maybe they weren't open but outside of rafdals diving catch i dont remember them even throwing to one.

24 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

This team might be a lot like frost's first year at ucf where the defense had to carry them to 6 wins. Also would have like to see them target the TEs more. Maybe they weren't open but outside of rafdals diving catch i dont remember them even throwing to one.

That's the only one I remember as well.  Definitely think we will be more year one than year 2 at UCF.  Like you, just wondering how much of the O has been installed.  Im guessing regardless of the amount, Bunch probably has/had less than Martinez.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Short term for the coaches should have figured out how not to go from 4 scholarship QB’s in December to only 1

There is no evidence that Vedral will be good.

Long term, our next scholarship QB may not even play QB in college

The next one is still 2 years away from getting to campus

Its a problem

There is nothing they could do to keep tanner lee and most recently, Gebbia. The only way we would have held onto gebbia was to red shirt Martinez and make gebbia the starter. So not ideal either considering martinez won the job out right.

There is no evidence Vedral will be bad either. And right now, we just need somone who makes good decisions and holds onto the ball.

Mcaffery may play WR, but given our current situation at QB, i think he gets a real look. 

Yes it is a problem, i said as much in my last post. 

• Plus1 1