What did we learn today

6 hours ago, shyndy said:

I’m going to make a comment that will likely be unpopular here, but playing to win and playing not to lose are exactly the same thing.

He played to win Colorado by continuing aggressive play calling and not eating clock and it bit him in the a$$. With this particular team that currently lacks an identity and a fall back of things they can do in clutch situations, you’re kind of damned if you do and damned if you don’t. 

1 minute ago, Husker03 said:

He played to win Colorado by continuing aggressive play calling and not eating clock and it bit him in the a$$. With this particular team that currently lacks an identity and a fall back of things they can do in clutch situations, you’re kind of damned if you do and damned if you don’t. 

I was thinking the same thing after the game. Against CU, Frost stayed aggressive, NU lost and Frost was criticized. Against NW, he was more conservative, put the game in the hands of his defense, and NU still lost. Frost is struggling to figure out what he has in this team. Some people think that it’s him being in over his head, but if a player makes a play or two in a few games, NU could be 2-4 or 3-3. Is that great, no, but it’s better than the current situation.  I think Frost is trying to get the kids a few wins this season, and it’s just not happening. 

• Plus1 4
18 hours ago, TheSker said:

TBD.  Ohio State might punt against us this year.

I know you keep lowering the bar for Scott Frost, but it's quite a stretch that a slightly stiffer defense against Ohio State will prove this isn't the worst season in 129 years of Nebraska football. Frost's team is 0 - 6, literally the most penalized team in the country, with the near-worst turnover margin, scoring efficiency and scoring defense.

I don't regret the Frost hire a bit and think things will get fun again in the next couple years but honestly:

Did you believe Scott Frost wouldn't coach up the talent at Nebraska better than Mike Riley this season?

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Mo Barry said in his postgame interview that he was on the bench on the last NW drive. 

I haven’t gone back and watched all of the last drive, but I did see a couple plays in highlights, and yes Barry is not in. It looked like NU was in a 3-3-5 nickel scheme, where a ILB would be removed.  I don’t know how great Barry’s coverage skills are, and I have seen Young struggle in coverage. Young was in during the last drive, but he actually had a good game against NW, with a number of good tackles. But, yes, that is something that the coaches should be asked about. 

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I know you keep lowering the bar for Scott Frost, but it's quite a stretch that a slightly stiffer defense against Ohio State will prove this isn't the worst season in 129 years of Nebraska football. Frost's team is 0 - 6, literally the most penalized team in the country, with the near-worst turnover margin, scoring efficiency and scoring defense.

I don't regret the Frost hire a bit and think things will get fun again in the next couple years but honestly:

Did you believe Scott Frost wouldn't coach up the talent at Nebraska better than Mike Riley this season?

Frost doesn't coach the defense. We were fooled by the Colorado game and Stoltenberg getting injured was a huge loss. Last year's defense was the worst I've ever seen at Nebraska. It's a year later now. We can just quit nitpicking the offense right now even though there's room for improvement there too.

I agree with you that I expected a Frost staff to coach better in all areas than that miserable Riley prevent staff. I also think we'll see improvement in every area and I think we already have in most areas, but you can only work with the guys you have.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

This is the worst team record-wise after 6 games in the history of Nebraska football.

Mike Riley was perfectly capable of losing every game last season.  He wasn't far from that.  Frost is not far from having won 2 or 3 of the games this season.

We have players with individual stats that are better than this point last season.  So I'd say there is evidence of improved coaching.

I still hope we make Ohio State punt this year......

• Plus1 3

Hopefully, he gets better since he is just a freshman, but Adrian reminds me too much of Tommie Armstrong and Taylor Martinez.   Tommie and Taylor never got that much better.  Adrian does not have great pocket awareness, is not accurate on a lot of easy passes, and turns the ball over too much.  He might will the team to a few victories almost on his own, but he might cost us just as many.  

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Hopefully, he gets better since he is just a freshman, but Adrian reminds me too much of Tommie Armstrong and Taylor Martinez.   Tommie and Taylor never got that much better.  Adrian does not have great pocket awareness, is not accurate on a lot of easy passes, and turns the ball over too much.  He might will the team to a few victories almost on his own, but he might cost us just as many.  

Honestly, I have no idea what games you are watching. Is Martinez perfect, far from it. But the amount of criticism people want to put on him is getting out of hand. 

• Plus1 3

20 hours ago, Caliborn72 said:

We at least punish them by pinning them on the 1, which will guarantee a victory? Nope, even worse. Just can’t do the little things to win a game which means we are a bad team.

Hah!  Putting them back on the 1 guarantees their success.  It happens with the Cornhuskers, and it happens with my San Diego Chargers (I'll root for the Chargers when they move back to SD), nearly every time, usually with a 90+ yard play.  At least this time they had to march down the field in smaller steps.

*sigh*

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, I have no idea what games you are watching. Is Martinez perfect, far from it. But the amount of criticism people want to put on him is getting out of hand. 

He needs to improve. BUT he is a true freshman who hadn’t played football in a year.  Basically goes from a junior in HS to starting for NU.  I have no doubt he will improve tremendously.  One thing stats have shown for Frost is his ability to improve the play of the QB.  Another year in the system, S&C, and plain game experience will help.  As Frost grows as a HC, his scheme might change as well ie more designed roll outs, more RPO’s etc.  Having said that, I do feel he is much like TA in that the coaches are purposefully limiting his runs to keep him healthy. IMO, That has limited some play calling. Now that Noah can play, they might run him more.  Bunch or Verdal can come in and play and we still have a legit #2 Qb. 

I have ave a lot of questions and concerns moving forward, but QB is not one.......

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Kind of silly to heap criticism on an 18 year old kid starting as a true freshman for a fundamentally broken team. If anything I'm encouraged by Martinez - he's not fumbling like I remember from earlier this season and he's had probably a handful or two of throws he misses by just a bit that will be long gainers when he learns to clam down and connect on them.

For what he's been asked to do and what's going on around him I think he's been awesome.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Kind of silly to heap criticism on an 18 year old kid starting as a true freshman for a fundamentally broken team. If anything I'm encouraged by Martinez - he's not fumbling like I remember from earlier this season and he's had probably a handful or two of throws he misses by just a bit that will be long gainers when he learns to clam down and connect on them.

For what he's been asked to do and what's going on around him I think he's been awesome.

Spot on. Martinez hasn’t been perfect, but he’s been very good most of the time, and even great at times. No QB (especially a true frosh) is going to make every pass a perfect pass. I’m not sure what some fans are expecting out of him. Yesterday, he was 70% for 250 yards and a TD, with another 37 yards rushing. Yeah he made one bad mistake throwing into triple coverage for a bad INT, but he’s being asked to do so much for a pretty bad team. I know some freshmen have been thrown in for good teams and have done very well, but they are playing for teams who are much better than Nebraska. 

14 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

To be honest with you, I am so frustrated and dejected after today’s game that I started to question everything. Imagine, Liberty beat Troy who beat us. We are 0-6 and we don’t seem to get out of our own way. We continue to pile on the penalties on every crucial moment of the game including in OT. Our players beat themselves all the time. Our special teams are anything but special. We do not have a kicker. We just replaced our punter. We can never go after a punt or block a kick, and every time we make a positive play on special teams, it is negated by a STUPID penalty. When you see this in six games, doesn’t that make you question the decision making and the ability of these coaches to fix the mistakes! Just an honest question.

Remember these players are the same players we had on the team last year.  Bad habits are hard to break and lack of speed on both O and D turn us into what we are.  Look for faster players and more diciplined players to be recruited in the future.  You can't coach speed, it's genetic. Why do you think we get beat so often in the passing game.  Lack of speed!!!!