What Did We Learn? - Michigan State

Mavric

We can stop the run, when we know they’re running. Couldn’t do that against Illinois last week or most of last year. 

We we will need to play much better than that offensively to beat Iowa.  Beat ourselves too much today. 

Solid special teams play can make a huge difference.  

This is team doesn’t give up.  

Just now, Decoy73 said:

We can stop the run, when we know they’re running. Couldn’t do that against Illinois last week or most of last year. 

We we will need to play much better than that offensively to beat Iowa.  Beat ourselves too much today. 

Solid special teams play can make a huge difference.  

This is team doesn’t give up.  

Iowa is up something like 35-0 over Illinois, still in the first half. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The coaches didn't think they could run the draw too much with Martinez because MSU's front 7 is so good and fundamentally sound.  They don't get out of position very often.

I thought we should've thrown long much more. It's hard to say because I don't know how the weather was affecting Martinez, but I thought we had guys open and could've done something with that. Good to see Martinez bailing on plays that aren't there instead of trying to force something.

35 minutes ago, commando said:

i would swear we beat mizzou 1 year with something like 7 FG's and no TDS.....thinking in the early 80's.  could be wrong with my faulty memory though.

I had that exact thought, and typed up a response, but double-checked before I sent it. 

We scored 21 points on seven Dale Klein field goals against Missouri in Columbia in 1985, but Doug DuBose scored a 4th-quarter TD and we won 28-20.

We had what, 3 lost fumbles and like 5 total in the 1st half? 

Cleaned that up nicely in the second half. 

Turnovers and penalties were my biggest concern coming into the season. The games we’ve won we seemed to clean those up at some point.  First game for a lot of young players in really frigid cold weather. Great learning experience.  Helps to salve the problems with a win.