Game Ball

I am I

20 hours ago, I am I said:

Pickering with no real clutch kicks all year. Even this game we went for it in 4th down a couple times in our territory. To come up so huge and  nail all three...

Reed was just lights out all game. Forced fumble, TFL, open field plays, hype...

it looked like on TV the players in general and the fans were just having fun, except for the absent student section.  So good to fill the win column and just play for fun. 

I know people will some how find a way to stick up for the student section, but i sit in the north and have had to look at a wayyyy to empty student section too many times over the last 15 years. I get it, we've sucked some over the years and a few games i can understand, but its getting to a point of being embarrassing. They call for a black out and cant even get their sections filled. Sorry, but its time to cut back student tix and start selling seats to the public. There are 80-90 year olds i saw in the stands for the whole game yesterday.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, C N Red said:

I know people will some how find a way to stick up for the student section, but i sit in the north and have had to look at a wayyyy to empty student section too many times over the last 15 years. I get it, we've sucked some over the years and a few games i can understand, but its getting to a point of being embarrassing. They call for a black out and cant even get their sections filled. Sorry, but its time to cut back student tix and start selling seats to the public. There are 80-90 year olds i saw in the stands for the whole game yesterday.

I understand what you are saying, however, the only way my son was able to stay all game was that we were able to bring him extra winter clothes from home. The typical college student is not going to have the winter clothing in Lincoln that I saw older people wearing. 

I saw kids walking to the game in clothing that I knew there was little chance they were going to last the entire game.  

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand what you are saying, however, the only way my son was able to stay all game was that we were able to bring him extra winter clothes from home. The typical college student is not going to have the winter clothing in Lincoln that I saw older people wearing. 

I saw kids walking to the game in clothing that I knew there was little chance they were going to last the entire game.  

Really? I went to school in Lincoln and had all my heavy clothing. That sounds like you making excuses for a child. My parents would have looked at me sideways, and i will do the same to mine.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The typical college student is not going to have the winter clothing in Lincoln that I saw older people wearing. 

Well, why not?

I'm not that far removed from college and I don't remember a culture of students not having proper clothing for the seasons.

20 hours ago, C N Red said:

You also have the rich seats half full and the 600 level half full during that game in the second half.   Do they lose the right for their tickets as well?  

• Plus1 1

21 hours ago, C N Red said:

I think there are a couple of other contributing factors to this. With the student section being general admission instead of assigned seating, there is a tendency for everyone to bunch closely together at the bottom, which results in empty seats at the top of the section.

The athletic department has also relegated the students to the corner of the stadium instead of giving them a better position closer to the field the way most schools do, which has been talked about for years. This does not necessarily mean fewer students at the games, but if the students are not going to be prioritized, it may impact their engagement in the game. Other factors would include the students not being quite as rabid as they were back in my day (the 90s!), because the current students have not seen a championship level football team in their lifetimes.

Add poor weather and early start times on top of all that, and it is totally reasonable to see some gaps in the bleachers. Sure, it looks bad, but if the athletic dept really cared about that, they could move the student section and change the seating policy, and as we get better, students will show up earlier and stay later.

Attendance at any sporting event is completely voluntary and I refuse to shame or talk down to anyone who decided they didn't want to sit outside in the freezing cold and snow on Saturday to watch a 9-6 football game. Especially a 19 year old kid who pays 20k+ to go to school at UNL and didn't want to sit at the top of the stadium dead sober freezing their nuts off with the wind whipping them in the face.

• Plus1 1

Good seeing the development of Reed.  Beginning of the year, he was one I was frustrated with.   now - he has an amazing game.  We've seen that across the board with this staff - as the players bought in to the program, we saw how they developed into much better players.  Ziggy, the OL and others and now it is seen in how Reed played. 

Day by day, we get better and better. Until we can't be beat, won't be beat.