Should $ be spent to recover the body of idiot US missionary

who went to a remote island which was illegal to go to and where he had already been shot at with arrows? I’m asking because they are trying to do it.

Not only is $ an issue, it would require more people to go to that island. Those people had every right to kill him, imo, because strangers decimated their population with disease.

IMO no one should go there to get his body.

I had the same questions but for different reasons when the world was spending millions and millions of $ searching for the plane that wrecked in the ocean. I know it wasn’t only about the bodies; finding out what went wrong with the plane was important too, but it still seemed insane to me. IMO once someone is dead they aren’t in the vessel anymore. It shouldn’t be up to nations to find the bodies because of someone’s religion or relatives’ obsession with seeing the person’s body.

I agree with finding the airplane, if for no other reason than to find out what went wrong & try to prevent it from happening in the future.

That missionary should be left to rot, and his bones should stand as a warning to anyone else dumb enough to try to contact tribes like that. Leave them alone.

Just found this.

WaNF0ZR.jpg

i am sure the natives can handle the body.  leave him there.   he violated international treaties that are in place to protect those people so he can stay there.  he has already potentially exposed them to viruses they have no antibodies for....no sense sending more people there that can possibly expose more viruses at this point

It was a terribly poor decision on that man's part, and I guess he has reaped what he sowed, but I stop short at insulting or condemning him. Might have been a piece of s#!t who knew better and broke the law with delusions of grandeur. Or he might not have known any better and was just an ignorant dumbass who made a terrible and tragic mistake.

But no. Do not go get his body. That puts other people in danger and wastes unnecessary money. 

I'm not sure of the guy's motive- perhaps he dreamed of being a new Jim Elliot  by trying to reach one of  the hardest to reach people groups.  If I were his family or friend, yes, I'd want his body back. However, reality might slap me in the face that in the process of securing his body, others would be placed in danger and the tribe might be in greater danger both to disease or force.  Therefore it isn't worth the risk - esp towards those that he wanted to 'save'.  If he was doing this as a misguided 'lone ranger' as it appears, he was wrong in doing so from a legal & moral perspective and deceived (self) into thinking he was doing the right thing.

If you aren't familiar with Jim Elliot, here is a wiki link.  He and 4 others were killed in a similar fashion but after doing extensive contact work previously and after they thought they had gained the trust of the tribe.  However, after their deaths, Jim's wife and others stayed and made contact, built relationships, and many if not all of the tribe was converted to Christianity.

Jim's famous quote about being a missionary has inspired many:

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

The movie, The Tip of the Spear, retells the story as does the book written by Jim's wife Elizabeth, Through the Gates of Splendor, and the documentary based on the book - Beyond The Gates of Splendor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Elliot

His journal entry for October 28, 1949, expresses his belief that work dedicated to Jesus was more important than his life (see Luke 9:24. "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.") He wrote, "he is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." He follows the journal entry with a citation from Luke 16:9 ("that when it shall fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations".) It is close to a saying of the English nonconformist preacher Philip Henry (1631–1696) who said "He is no fool who parts with that which he cannot keep, when he is sure to be recompensed with that which he cannot lose".[12][13]

Elliot and four other missionaries – Ed McCully, Roger Youderian, Pete Fleming, and their pilot, Nate Saint – made contact from their Piper PA-14 airplane with the Huaorani using a loudspeaker and a basket to pass down gifts. After several months, the men decided to build a base a short distance from the Indian village, along the Curaray River. There they were approached one time by a small group of Huaorani and even gave an airplane ride to one curious Huaorani whom they called "George" (his real name was Naenkiwi). Encouraged by these friendly encounters, they began plans to visit the Huaorani, without knowing that Naenkiwi had lied to the others about the missionaries' intentions.[1] Their plans were preempted by the arrival of a larger group of about 10 Huaorani warriors, who killed Elliot and his four companions on January 8, 1956. Jim Elliot was the first of the five missionaries killed when he and Peter Fleming were greeting two of those attackers that showed themselves pretending they were interested in taking plane rides with them. Elliot's body was found downstream, along with those of the other men, except that of Ed McCully which was found even farther downstream.