Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mavric

Martinez for Heisman

Recommended Posts

Quote

7. Nebraska QB Adrian Martinez
Here's a name to watch coming out of the Big Ten, as the latest Scott Frost quarterbacking pupil to put up crooked numbers and set school records at the helm of a high-powered offense. As a true freshman in 2018, Martinez threw for 2,617 yards with 17 touchdowns with another 629 rushing yards despite missing all of one game and being physically limited in several others with a knee injury. As seen during his coaching career, Frost's quarterbacks explode as second-year starters. Martinez will be no exception.

 

USA Today - Ahead of Martinez: Tua, Haskins, Trevor Lawrence, Jonathan Taylor, Travis Etienne & "Georgia's starting QB"

 

 

Quote

8. Adrian Martinez, QB, Nebraska
Speaking of players who could thrive in a system, Nebraska coach Scott Frost has the ideal weapon for his offense in California signal-caller Adrian Martinez.

 

The longtime Tennessee commitment flipped to the Cornhuskers in the 11th hour and signed last December. Though he didn't get the kind of headlines JT Daniels, Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields did, he arguably had the best season of the bunch.

 

Nebraska didn't have the year it would have liked as the roster adjusts to Frost, going 4-8, but when the coach gets more of his players in there during his second year, things will get better. We've already seen what can happen during his time at UCF.

 

Martinez will be the centerpiece of it all.

 

The 6'2", 220-pound quarterback from Fresno finished the year having completed 64.6 percent of his passes for 2,617 yards, 17 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He added 629 rushing yards and eight more scores on the ground, proving to the nation he is worth the price of a ticket.

 

He's only going to get better as he grows and matures and gets more star athletes around him. Martinez ran the ball nearly 13 times a game, and that probably needs to decrease if he's going to stay healthy. But it will once the offense gets in a groove. When that happens, the sky is the limit.

 

"They’re gonna win a ton of games here," NU senior linebacker Luke Gifford told the Omaha World-Herald's Chris Heady. "They’re good kids. They work hard, Coach (Scott) Frost is awesome, and I can’t wait to come back and watch them."

 

Added senior running back Devine Ozigbo about Martinez: "He’s gonna be a lot better next year. There’s just no doubt about it."

 

He may be one of the best.  

 

Bleacher Report - Ahead of Martinez: Darrell Henderson, Etienne, Justin Herbert, Lawrence, Taylor, Ehlinger, Tua

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been 10 years since I've been THIS excited for a season.  Like yeah 2018 was exciting for the change and debut and all that jazz.  But this team is about to be good again.  Like scary good again.  Sure there will be flaws and frustrating games.  But we are going to will a lot of games, and look good doing it.  It's so damn nice to feel that way again and not have to say it with a s#!tload of doubt I  the back of my mind.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"As seen during his coaching career, Frost's quarterbacks explode as second-year starters."

 

Isn't McKenzie Milton the only other data point for this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I am thinking...

 

3,300 passing yards

550 rushing yards

30 passing TD's and 10 Rushing TD's

 

I like those numbers. How many picks? He had 8 in 2018. I'm gonna say 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I am thinking...

 

3,300 passing yards

550 rushing yards

30 passing TD's and 10 Rushing TD's

 

At least 3,700 passing imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I am thinking...

 

3,300 passing yards

550 rushing yards

30 passing TD's and 10 Rushing TD's

 

Those are great numbers but I doubt he wins the Heisman next year. The media will be all over Tua and Lawrence. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

Those are great numbers but I doubt he wins the Heisman next year. The media will be all over Tua and Lawrence. 

Maybe it is just me but I feel like the media is sort of "over" Tua...I think we sort of saw that a bit this year.  Almost like he seems to make things look too easy?  

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

I like those numbers. How many picks? He had 8 in 2018. I'm gonna say 5

Hmmm I would say around 8 again.  He had a few that were dropped this year that could have been picks.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Landlord said:

"As seen during his coaching career, Frost's quarterbacks explode as second-year starters."

 

Isn't McKenzie Milton the only other data point for this?

Heard of a guy that goes by the name "Marcus Marriotta"?

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heisman his sophomore year and to the NFL after his junior year as a first round pick.  The way the NFL is drooling over the Mahomes type of talent, hard to project him playing a whole career if he progresses the way we all hope he does.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Redux said:

It's been 10 years since I've been THIS excited for a season.  Like yeah 2018 was exciting for the change and debut and all that jazz.  But this team is about to be good again.  Like scary good again.  Sure there will be flaws and frustrating games.  But we are going to will a lot of games, and look good doing it.  It's so damn nice to feel that way again and not have to say it with a s#!tload of doubt I  the back of my mind.

I think we are another year away.  I predicted 6 6 last year (even though i was being called an hater for it) and I'm predicting an 8 4 year this year.  I think losing Morgan and ozigbo will hurt us more than people think.  I also expect our defense to improve but we're still lacking in talent in that department.  I fully expect us to win 10 or 11 games when Martinez is a senior and he should win the heisman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe it is just me but I feel like the media is sort of "over" Tua...I think we sort of saw that a bit this year.  Almost like he seems to make things look too easy?  

Hmmm I would say around 8 again.  He had a few that were dropped this year that could have been picks.

Hmm you are right, I am going to go with 5 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe it is just me but I feel like the media is sort of "over" Tua...I think we sort of saw that a bit this year.  Almost like he seems to make things look too easy?  

Hmmm I would say around 8 again.  He had a few that were dropped this year that could have been picks.

As has been the case with every QB since the forward pass was invented.

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Maybe it is just me but I feel like the media is sort of "over" Tua...I think we sort of saw that a bit this year.  Almost like he seems to make things look too easy?  

IMO it’s because his efficiency dropped when they played good defenses and the fact they could lean on their run game or Hurts to still score. He’s a great QB but he’s replaceable at Bama.

 

Also Waddle is insanely fast and you almost need to bracket him or he’ll be 2 steps ahead of the guy covering him out of the break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Heard of a guy that goes by the name "Marcus Marriotta"?

 

 

I thought Scott had little to no input/influence on Mariota until late in his career but I was somewhat mistaken. Frost was receivers coach Marcus' freshman year, then OC/quarterbacks coach his sophomore/junior years. Mariota took a big jump between those years so I rescind my statement.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I'm wrong but Martinez seems like the kind of kid who will stay 4 years. There's certainly a good chance he's first round pick worthy after his junior year and he may leave. Just seems like a loyal kid who would want to to play out his career. So, I'd guess he wins it after his junior or senior year. Heck maybe both :thumbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but Martinez seems like the kind of kid who will stay 4 years. There's certainly a good chance he's first round pick worthy after his junior year and he may leave. Just seems like a loyal kid who would want to to play out his career. So, I'd guess he wins it after his junior or senior year. Heck maybe both :thumbs

Is Martinez going to be the first starting NFL QB from Nebraska since Farragamo?

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Is Martinez going to be the first starting NFL QB from Nebraska since Farragamo?

I think that's a given unless he gets hurt.  He is exactly what the NFL wants right now.  There isn't a team in the country that doesn't want Mahomes on their roster- they have many of the same attributes currently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martinez’s arm strength isn’t even in the same conversation as Mahomes. I don’t think he has the arm strength to play in the nfl. Maybe 3 years down the road but right now no way. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Bleacher Report - Ahead of Martinez: Darrell Henderson, Etienne, Justin Herbert, Lawrence, Taylor, Ehlinger, Tua

 

Not that I'm putting much stock in a B/R list but Henderson just declared for the draft and Herbert seems like a strong possibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jaws said:

 

Those are great numbers but I doubt he wins the Heisman next year. The media will be all over Tua and Lawrence. 

 

He'll be hard to ignore after we're undefeated.  (And no, i did not type that with a straight face... i can dream, no?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jcsmhammel said:

Martinez’s arm strength isn’t even in the same conversation as Mahomes. I don’t think he has the arm strength to play in the nfl. Maybe 3 years down the road but right now no way. 

 

Yeah this.  Martinez is amazing but the Mahomes comparison is nuts. I'm not sure i can remember even 5 QBs I've ever seen with an arm like Mahomes. Maybe his injury has limited him in this regard and I'm sure it will get better as he gets time in the weight room, but Martinez's arm strength is gonna be a knock for him going into the pros. I think a better comparison is Watson who is doing pretty well, but mostly because he is probably the 2nd or 3rd best scrambler in the league currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the kid some space.  No one needs this kind of added pressure, especially coming off a 4-8 season.  I think he'll be phenomenal, but let's get through this next season first, OK?

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Give the kid some space.  No one needs this kind of added pressure, especially coming off a 4-8 season.  I think he'll be phenomenal, but let's get through this next season first, OK?

 

 

I'm guessing he's numb to internet wackos already.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jcsmhammel said:

Martinez’s arm strength isn’t even in the same conversation as Mahomes. I don’t think he has the arm strength to play in the nfl. Maybe 3 years down the road but right now no way. 

There’s what, 4-5 years difference between the two?

 

i expect Martinez to get stronger. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just stoked to see him next season with one full season under his belt.  I hope he keeps the turnovers low and doesn't get worse in that area.

 

  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jaws said:

 

Those are great numbers but I doubt he wins the Heisman next year. The media will be all over Tua and Lawrence. 

You're probably right, but if he isn't a finalist at a minimum before he leaves NU then something went horribly wrong. A True Frosh putting up the numbers he did without playing his senior year in high school is pretty amazing to me.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Heisman his sophomore year and to the NFL after his junior year as a first round pick.  The way the NFL is drooling over the Mahomes type of talent, hard to project him playing a whole career if he progresses the way we all hope he does.   

 

SF offenses are going to make skilled players turnover like its the NBA - especially QB's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×