The Murphinator

OLB Eugene Asante [North Carolina - Signed LOI]

HUSKERBOARD PREDICTOR  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Eugene Asante

Hometown: Chantilly, Virginia

School: Westfield

Position: Linebacker

Height: 6-1

Weight: 216

40 Time

Power 5 Offers: Maryland, Virginia Tech, Colorado State, Miami, North Carolina, TCU, UCLA, Nebraska

Visits

Twitter

247 Composite: #283 Overall; #17 OLB; .9031; :star:star:star:star

Rivals: #27 OLB; :star:star:star
247: #178 Overall; #12 OLB; :star:star:star:star
ESPN: 

Hudl

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, ADS said:

Jesus Christ.  Those poor kids.

If they would have got more likes on Facebook, he would have saved them.

• Plus1 2

I don't watch many recruiting videos, but I glanced at this one, so help me out... He looks really, really good in this video, so why does he have a relatively short offer list this late in recruiting season, and why is he not rated higher? Is it just selective editing on the tape? A lower level of competition? His HS coach not giving him the PR he deserves?

He looks great, and I really liked Larry Asante when he was here, so just wondering...

2 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

If they would have got more likes on Facebook, he would have saved them.

10 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't watch many recruiting videos, but I glanced at this one, so help me out... He looks really, really good in this video, so why does he have a relatively short offer list this late in recruiting season, and why is he not rated higher? Is it just selective editing on the tape? A lower level of competition? His HS coach not giving him the PR he deserves?

He looks great, and I really liked Larry Asante when he was here, so just wondering...

Yeah- sometimes you just watch some film and you dont have to be a recruiting expert. They just "look" like a 4 star caliber kid. He looks like a stud. Being rated .84 is just silly.

2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Some of these kids do not go to camps, so they get less exposure.

Maybe this or academic issues? Just speculating.  Also he is shorter than the other OLB's we have been after. 

1 minute ago, kozzman555 said:

Jesus. He hits people like he had a bad childhood and he’s trying to share his pain with him. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

Maybe this or academic issues? Just speculating.  Also he is shorter than the other OLB's we have been after. 

The second option

2 hours ago, kozzman555 said:

Jesus. He hits people like he had a bad childhood and he’s trying to share his pain with him. 

His brother could bring it too.

• Plus1 3

44 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

His brother could bring it too.

He was one of my low key favorite Huskers on a defense riddled with talent. Wish he was healthier to sustain an NFL career. 

• Plus1 1

This is what we need, an all out attacking Blackshirt legacy.  :throwdabones1:

What competition is he playing against?  The other teams don't block him as it seems they want no part of him.  How many punts can you block with barely being touched? :funnyhahah

Holy cow! He seems to be fast and uber violent. Me likely. I just have to wonder about the competition in those clips. It seemed he was never blocked....once. But I can also understand the other team’s players just wanting to get the hell out of his way. Looks to be well worth trying to find a spot for him.

6 hours ago, melscott62 said:

According to his brothers Twitter he got a ucla offer 3 days ago

And Miami just offered yesterday.  North Carolina offered last week, as did Maryland and TCU.

If he had academic issues, he seems to have gotten them straightened out enough for a lot of Power 5 schools to come calling recently.

I did some research as I am unfamiliar with Virginia high school football. They play in class 6 which is the biggest class in the state of Virginia. I would assume the competition he is going against is no easy pushover because of this. Would definitely take him as the connections are there and he definitely fits the bill in terms of making plays. He also runs through the tackler which is something the staff really likes. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

He must take strength training fairly serious if his 345 lb bench is accurate.

Seems pretty accurate, he has a video of himself pushing 225 16 times post workout. I'll give him a solid 13-14 reps if we are going combine style. that equates to right around 345, and especially if this video really was post-workout.

As a legacy kid that looks pretty impressive on film, I wonder why we are just now offering?  Seemed like we knew we Summerall wasn't happening put didn't really have any other OLB targets we were pursuing?

• Eyeroll 1

OK....I typically don't watch high light videos because I think they usually don't really represent how a player plays every down.

But, I've seen enough comments on the video of this kid, I decided to watch.  Impressive.  At first, I had the thought that....well....he's not being blocked.  But, then I noticed, many times they are trying to block him but his speed and quickness, makes them totally whiff.  That, with his size, would be a nice addition.

11 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

i assume he is 6'0 which is probably why he has been looked over at LB....Griffin was also 6'0 and I think he did okay at OLB for UCF

Doing pretty well for the seattle seahawks too. 

David does pretty well for the buccaneers too

For what it's worth, here are the comparisons of Larry and Eugene Asante coming out of high school (per 247sports)

https://247sports.com/Player/Larry-Asante-53025/junior-college-90651/

6-1, 205

4 star: .9111

https://247sports.com/Player/Eugene-Asante-46057042/

6-1, 212

Currently 3 star: .8405

Eugene was named Northern Virginia Player of the Year.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

For what it's worth, here are the comparisons of Larry and Eugene Asante coming out of high school (per 247sports)

6-1, 205

6-1, 212

Just seems likely a weirdly low rating

9 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

6-1, 205

6-1, 212

That's JUCO Larry, he doesn't even have an entry on 247 out of high school and was unrated (but has a profile) on rivals. Seems like he blossomed at the JUCO, but was even more under the radar than Eugene out of high school.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2005/larry-asante-127085

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1