Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

I agree - he's largely a placater and was so during his time at the OWH.

The Athletic's primary strategy is to poach a top sportswriter in the market they want to enter, aiming for the highest profile possible. Mitch was not their first or even second choice. I know the first two they went after and couldn't get (one year ago, mind you). They then couldn't get anyone in time for the Husker season in 2018 so they put their plans on hold. Now, they've got Mitch, and I don't plan to read any of it. Every single other local media outlet has more resources and better overall reporters.

They initially get one main writer but usually pair them up with a few other writers to add content.

I bought a subscription about a year and a half ago for Michael Russo(Minnesota Wild/NHL writer) and I love the athletic. They have a great mixture of writers and it isnt super expensive. Way more content then a OWH. 

Initially they brought in Russo to cover the Wild but added a few other really good people around him. They have a few guys who focus on analytics as well.

I dont know much about Mitch, but I like the idea of them growing into the Husker market.

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

I agree - he's largely a placater and was so during his time at the OWH.

The Athletic's primary strategy is to poach a top sportswriter in the market they want to enter, aiming for the highest profile possible. Mitch was not their first or even second choice. I know the first two they went after and couldn't get (one year ago, mind you). They then couldn't get anyone in time for the Husker season in 2018 so they put their plans on hold. Now, they've got Mitch, and I don't plan to read any of it. Every single other local media outlet has more resources and better overall reporters.

Hoiberg was always big on the transfer market so, it's cliché, but his roster will really determine a lot. Obviously, losing Thomas Allen would hurt quite a bit, and they would probably need quite a bit of help on the transfer market regardless.

Inquiring minds would like to know...

34 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

They initially get one main writer but usually pair them up with a few other writers to add content.

I bought a subscription about a year and a half ago for Michael Russo(Minnesota Wild/NHL writer) and I love the athletic. They have a great mixture of writers and it isnt super expensive. Way more content then a OWH. 

Initially they brought in Russo to cover the Wild but added a few other really good people around him. They have a few guys who focus on analytics as well.

I dont know much about Mitch, but I like the idea of them growing into the Husker market.

I was more focusing local. The Athletic won't be able to compete as well in that regard. If someone digs their national stuff (I don't enough to pay for it) then it probably has more value.

There are probably 5-7 better connected writers locally than Mitch, and roughly the same number who I would say are better journalists/writers. So, at least locally speaking, I don't think there's anything worth paying for. Could definitely see it if you want all of the national stuff that comes with it, though.

Quick Googling of Abdelmassih: "One of the major keys to success for Fred Hoiberg at Iowa State was his use of transfers - and Abdelmassih was the main man for most of the transfers, including DeAndre Kane and Royce White. He's beginning to do the same at St. John's for Chris Mullin."

https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/st-johns-basketball-recruiting/2016/3/2/11145736/matt-abdelmassih-college-basketball-recruiter-rankings

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I saw something about that in the comments. Can you fill me in? I'm out of the loop.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I saw something about that in the comments. Can you fill me in? I'm out of the loop.

Chubick was Arop's HS coach.  Miles offered a schollie to Arop and than asked him to go to prep school for a year.   Arop did not want to go to prep school and lost his schollie.  Chubick was very out spoken against Miles.  It was either 2015 or 16.

26 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Chubick was Arop's HS coach.  Miles offered a schollie to Arop and than asked him to go to prep school for a year.   Arop did not want to go to prep school and lost his schollie.  Chubick was very out spoken against Miles.  It was either 2015 or 16.

Then he went to prep school for a year anyway because he didn't like the smaller schools that were willing to take him.  He probably wouldn't have needed prep school if he hadn't missed an entire year (junior year?) with an injury.

12 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Then he went to prep school for a year anyway because he didn't like the smaller schools that were willing to take him.  He probably wouldn't have needed prep school if he hadn't missed an entire year (junior year?) with an injury.

True, I forgot about him missing his JR. year.   To me it was Bruce being petty, but apparently not as he is still butt hurt.

• Mavric changed the title to Fred Hoiberg To Be Named Next Nebraska Coach