Read THIS and tell me Wisconsin should not be our main Rival

6 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

You pointed out that Iowa has beaten Nebraska recently several times.  So I guess that makes them our chosen rival?  

To most NU fans I know, Iowa is not our real rival.  They are another tough team on the schedule, and the schedule is full of them.  

To me the rival is Wisconsin.  They're calling us the little brother in the west and saying they're the Real Big Red.  There's the rubber match Big10 championship where they embarassed us.  There are multiple reasons to have special animus for Wisconsin.  

What has Iowa done to us other than win some close games while we were down?  

My point is we don't deserve a rival...yet.  You think Wisconsin is our rival because they kicked our tails all over the midwest?  Using your same logic, what have we done to deserve being Wisconsin's rival?

LMAO that thinking is ridiculous.  Wait until we prove something before spouting off about rivalries.  Puffing your chest out at Iowa with nothing to back it up.

Edited by runningblind
We're all Husker fans here. My best man is an Iowa grad, I tend to defend them, but my points remain.
  • Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

To most NU fans I know, Iowa is not our real rival.  They are another tough team on the schedule, and the schedule is full of them.  

To me the rival is Wisconsin.  They're calling us the little brother in the west and saying they're the Real Big Red. 

We are Wisconsin's Colorado and it's frankly embarrassing to have Nebraska fans try so hard to call them our rival when they kick the s#!t out of us every year.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Our conference rival would really be Minnesota or Northwestern. We've at least been competitive against them during some of these crap seasons. 

So our rival is the toilet or lack of?

Edit: so Purdue? But they beat Ohio state I don't think we can punch up. lol /s

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Landlord said:

We are Wisconsin's Colorado and it's frankly embarrassing to have Nebraska fans try so hard to call them our rival when they kick the s#!t out of us every year.

Or Wisconsin is our new Texas. 

And to clarify my comment, they should be our rival but aren’t. It’s what we should aim for. 

In my opinion we have sucked for 20 years and have since we joined the big 10. That’s why we have no rival- true meaningful rivalries are forged by duking it out in meaningful games. We havnt been good enough to compete in meaningful games. 

I think under Frost we will see some true and meaningful rivalries pop up that everyone will agree and it won’t be forced. 

No one debated if Oklahoma was our rival- it was obvious. If people have to argue who our rival is that is the best evidence we don’t actually have one 

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, runningblind said:

My point is we don't deserve a rival...yet.  You think Wisconsin is our rival because they kicked our tails all over the midwest?  Using your same logic, what have we done to deserve being Wisconsin's rival?

LMAO that thinking is ridiculous.  Wait until we prove something before spouting off about rivalries.  Puffing your chest out at Iowa with nothing to back it up.

I think soon it will be Nebraska and Wisconsin in the West and then everyone else.  

Scott Frost has won a title at NU.  He will have the opportunity to do so again.

31 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

I think soon it will be Nebraska and Wisconsin in the West and then everyone else.  

Scott Frost has won a title at NU.  He will have the opportunity to do so again.

We are in agreement there for the future.   I honestly wonder if Wisconsin doesn't continue to regress on defense with the coordinator revolving door finally catching up to them.   I expect Mertz to do well however so they will have a different look on offense. 

21 hours ago, Landlord said:

No clue how old you are, but perhaps you don’t know about or remember how long it too T.O. to get over the hump against Oklahoma. Were they not Nebraska’s main rival, even while they were beating us every year???

2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

No clue how old you are, but perhaps you don’t know about or remember how long it too T.O. to get over the hump against Oklahoma. Were they not Nebraska’s main rival, even while they were beating us every year???

Well first, they were already well established as our rival because for the decade+ before T.O. we had great back and forth battles usually when both teams were in the top 10. 

Then, yes, Osborne didn't beat them his first five times. Then lost another two after he got his first. But it's still not that close to the same.

'73 - #10 NU v #3 OU - 0-27

'74 - #6 NU v #1 OU - 14-28

'75 - #2 NU v #7 OU - 10-35

'76 - #10 NU v #8 OU - 17-20

'77 - #11 NU v #3 OU - 7-38

'78 - #4 NU v #1 OU - 17-14

'78 - #6 NU v #4 OU - 24-31

'79 - #3 NU v #8 OU - 14-17

'80 - #4 NU v #9 OU - 17-21

'11 - #8 NU v #7 Wisc - 17-48

'12 - #22 NU v NR Wisc - 30-27

'12 - #14 NU v NR Wisc - 31-70

'14 - #11 NU v #22 Wisc - 24-59

'15 - NR NU v NR Wisc - 21-23

'16 - #7 NU v #11 Wisc - 17-23

'17 - NR NU v #9 Wisc - 17-38

'18 - NR NU v #16 Wisc - 24-41

Now. A few things I'll say. Osborne got a lot of deserved heat for not being able to take care of OU. He did a bad job with that and he got rightfully criticized and had some job jeopardy because of it. I'd also bet a decent amount of money if you asked OU fans during that stretch if Nebraska was their main rival, or on equal par, a much higher percentage would have said no than would have before or after. On top of that, those OU teams were much better than most all the Wisconsin teams we've faced. Our NU teams were also better than they've been since 2011. And the margins of victory were better. Osborne's worst were 31, 27 and 25 point losses. The modern Wisconsin worst are 39, 35, and 31.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

No clue how old you are, but we had a long a$$ history with Oklahoma pre-dating Osborne.

We played Wisconsin 5 times before 2011.

Our goal should be that they're our rival, since they're the best team in the division, until the time when/if we are dominating the series. But they aren't our rival now.

• Plus1 2