** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm not trying to take anything away from Minnesota they're undefeated. However they haven't been steamrollers that I've seen. They've averaged 3.5 yards per carry during the easiest part of their schedule. Also, in the games I've seen I wouldn't call it steam rolling. In fact, their big tackle looked soft and slow to me. They've gotten it done and good for them, but they're are not remotely like Wisconsin who is a real steamroller. 

They have a huge line that pushes people around and that's what we do best, get pushed around. Our LB's also are not Buoniconti or Butkis, they don't shed blocks well. But I do hope you're right and I'm giving Minnesota too much credit. I guess it comes from thinking we should easily handle a team then seeing both lines get manhandled by South Alabama types.

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

They have a huge line that pushes people around and that's what we do best, get pushed around. Our LB's also are not Buoniconti or Butkis, they don't shed blocks well. But I do hope you're right and I'm giving Minnesota too much credit. I guess it comes from thinking we should easily handle a team then seeing both lines get manhandled by South Alabama types.

I must be the only one who thinks we have done pretty well against the run...except against OSU which they are going that against everyone. 

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Minnesota, on the other hand, hasn’t played anybody good and they have the lowest rated defense. Which, is good for us because we might go into the game with a number of key injuries on our offense.  

And they had to make a panicked drive at the end of the game to come back against Georgia Southern, also. 

• Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I must be the only one who thinks we have done pretty well against the run...except against OSU which they are going that against everyone. 

Ohio State and Illinois...and I guess 4th qtr Colorado when we were gassed. I guess my expectations were higher, now wondering if we match up to teams I originally thought we would beat easily.  I see every game now as a dogfight and don't expect us to dominate any line. And I also expect to hear apologists for not being able to fix the most basic things while also hearing that we should be able to handle a P5 team that is 5-0. I sure hope you're right though and Minnesota is a paper tiger.

Minnesota stats:

Scoring O - 30th (35.8)

Total O - 73rd (409.0)

Rushing O - 71st (159.0)

Passing O - 57th (250.0)

Scoring D - 68th (27.2)

Total D - 28th (314.4)

Rushing D - 33rd (113.6)

Passing D - 41st (200.8)

Sagarin rating - #46 against the #84 SOS (we are #53 against the #78 SOS) - we are all but tied in his ratings, only 0.34 points seperate us, meaning they would be about a three point favorite at home.

Their offensive numbers indicate they shouldn't be scoring as much as they are.  

Their defensive numbers indicate they shouldn't be giving up as much as they are.

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Minnesota stats:

Scoring O - 30th (35.8)

Total O - 73rd (409.0)

Rushing O - 71st (159.0)

Passing O - 57th (250.0)

Scoring D - 68th (27.2)

Total D - 28th (314.4)

Rushing D - 33rd (113.6)

Passing D - 41st (200.8)

Sagarin rating - #46 against the #84 SOS (we are #53 against the #78 SOS) - we are all but tied in his ratings, only 0.34 points seperate us, meaning they would be about a three point favorite at home.

Their offensive numbers indicate they shouldn't be scoring as much as they are.  

Their defensive numbers indicate they shouldn't be giving up as much as they are.

Then the -7 line looks like a value play 

The more I look at this matchup, the more I don't see how Minnesota has proven they are as good as their record shows.

They have played

SDSU - won by 6

Fresno State - won by 3

Georgia Southern - won by 3 (needed a come back to win)

Purdue - won by 7 (I believe this is the game Purdue's QB got knocked out in and their back up struggled)

Illinois - won by 23 (decent win)

So, they have one decent win against a team we have also beat.

Now, our offense is going to have to wake up after having two weeks of ho hum production and Minnesota still may win this game.  We need to come to play and take care of business.  But, I fail to see how Minnesota is a dominating team that should be picked to win by any large margin.....based on what they've done so far this year.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

The more I look at this matchup, the more I don't see how Minnesota has proven they are as good as their record shows.

They have played

SDSU - won by 6

Fresno State - won by 3

Georgia Southern - won by 3 (needed a come back to win)

Purdue - won by 7 (I believe this is the game Purdue's QB got knocked out in and their back up struggled)

Illinois - won by 23 (decent win)

So, they have one decent win against a team we have also beat.

Now, our offense is going to have to wake up after having two weeks of ho hum production and Minnesota still may win this game.  We need to come to play and take care of business.  But, I fail to see how Minnesota is a dominating team that should be picked to win by any large margin.....based on what they've done so far this year.

We haven't done a whole lot either, so I think the default favorite is going to be the undefeated home team. But I agree, I like our chances here. Their receivers are good, but Morgan is still not that consistent and I like our DBs overall. Their defense hasn't shown a lot IMO, outside of a pretty impressive performance last week. I don't really believe in their oline, they're sacrificing a lot of athleticism with their big dudes. It's not going to be a cake walk, but if we can limit their receivers and get Mills going we should be good to go.