Sign in to follow this  
unl123

Erstad gone

Had he done enough to keep his job? Absolutely. Am I excited to see where this goes? Absolutely. 

• Plus1 1

I hope it isn't health-related. He's changed a TON in just the past couple of years.

rLsr2fz.jpg

4jNgJpY.jpg

I'm really glad Darin was our coach. I really hope he enjoys his retirement.

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 2

Hopefully Moos can pull of a hat trick

Honestly I like Erstad as a person and a player but he just wasn’t a very good coach. Career wise Erstad was no different than Miles

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Honestly I like Erstad as a person and a player but he just wasn’t a very good coach. Career wise Erstad was no different than Miles

Thats an apt comparison...though I would suggest the competition isn’t as tough in the B1G and we actually won a game in the tourney.

Look—I’m someone that’s called for Erstad to either get a new position coach or step aside. Erstad is a class act, and I’m sure he knew he wasn’t getting it done. 

Now let’s see if Moos can get Boldt. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

If Miles was consistently at the top of the conference and won a conference title, you'd be correct.

• Plus1 8

I would imagine a new topic will get spun off this but this is as good of a place to start as any.  

I imagine early candidates will be Will Bolt, Justin Seely for obvious reasons.  A&M fans are really down on Bolt and seem to be fed up with Childress too.

I think Rick Heller is a damn fine coach but I'm not sure he'd leave Iowa for Nebraska for optics reasons.  Brink truck/dream hire would be Childress, he's making $350k at A&M.

Other interesting names...

Jim Penders UConn

Andrew Checketts--UC Santa Barbara Coach

Eric Newman--UC San Diego Coach

I also really like Steve Holm but he just took the Illinois State job last year so I imagine there is zero chance he leaves.

1 hour ago, Dewiz said:

I don't understand these Miles/Erstad comparisons in the least. They're lazy at best.

One of those won a conference title during his tenure and finished in the top half of the conference six out of eight seasons, including five top three finishes. The other did not.

• Plus1 7

Wow.  Crazy news.  I instantly thought he was stepping down in light of some recruiting infraction as this was definitely unexpected.  From what he and Moos said I definitely respect his decision.

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't understand these Miles/Erstad comparisons in the least. They're lazy at best.

One of those won a conference title during his tenure and finished in the top half of the conference six out of eight seasons, including five top three finishes. The other did not.

I think it’s a lazy comparison, as well. My only thought is those with that opinion think that Erstad and Miles are “good guys”, but not good coaches. Erstad performed better than Miles, but with a program with more history and less competition in conference. 

-- Worse winning percentage than Anderson

-- We missed the Big 10 tourney last year

-- Big 10 was supposed to be an "easy" conference filled with northern teams that didn't take baseball seriously

-- We missed the postseason (Regionals) 4 times... equal to number of times we made it

-- Never hosted a Regional.

-- 2-8 in Regional play

-- Never made it to Super Regional

-- No CWS

-- Most important... Was unlikely to ever change our circumstances

That about covers it for me

• Plus1 4

43 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If Miles was consistently at the top of the conference and won a conference title, you'd be correct.

And if the Big Ten was the 2nd ranked conference in RPI in baseball like they were in basketball (as opposed to 7th), you'd be more correct. 

• Thanks 1

BUT DOES HE HAVE A SALTWATER AQUARIUM?!?!?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

-- Worse winning percentage than Anderson

-- We missed the Big 10 tourney last year

-- Big 10 was supposed to be an "easy" conference filled with northern teams that didn't take baseball seriously

-- We missed the postseason (Regionals) 4 times... equal to number of times we made it

-- Never hosted a Regional.

-- 3-8 in Regional play

-- Never made it to Super Regional

-- No CWS

-- Most important... Was unlikely to ever change our circumstances

That about covers it for me

Please share your thoughts on the expectations of the baseball program in the thread I created. I’m interested in reading them. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I hope it isn't health-related. He's changed a TON in just the past couple of years.

rLsr2fz.jpg

4jNgJpY.jpg

I'm really glad Darin was our coach. I really hope he enjoys his retirement.

I doubt it, I understand what he means by wanting to be with his family. I went down to Lubbock 2 weekends ago to see my cousin graduate and it just so happens one of his classmates is the daughter of the Texas Tech head baseball coach. He had to miss her hs graduation to be in OKC for the B12 tournament 

• Plus1 2

Here's the last 42 years of Husker Baseball for your viewing pleasure.

Only four coaches in that span.

K7YOTUg.png

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

I get the impression Darin thought this job would be a good way to come back to a town he loves and spend some time with his family.

I think the realization of all that goes into coaching, all the time it takes from you, was a pretty rude awakening a few years ago.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

I would imagine a new topic will get spun off this but this is as good of a place to start as any.  

I imagine early candidates will be Will Bolt, Justin Seely for obvious reasons.  A&M fans are really down on Bolt and seem to be fed up with Childress too.

I think Rick Heller is a damn fine coach but I'm not sure he'd leave Iowa for Nebraska for optics reasons.  Brink truck/dream hire would be Childress, he's making $350k at A&M.

Other interesting names...

Jim Penders UConn

Andrew Checketts--UC Santa Barbara Coach

Eric Newman--UC San Diego Coach

I also really like Steve Holm but he just took the Illinois State job last year so I imagine there is zero chance he leaves.

Bolt is my lead candidate, but if they could pull Childress away from A&M...

• Plus1 4

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Bolt is my lead candidate, but if they could pull Childress away from A&M...

That would be pretty doggone rad if it happened.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Erstad won 1 Conference Championship due to both Minnesota and Michigan losing and Nebraska beating a very bad Penn State team. It’s not like Nebraska caked walked through the conference to win it they needed a lot of help to win the Conference. 

In 8 years at Nebraska resume in such a “tough” baseball conference 

1 Conference Championship

2-8 in Regionals

0-3 in B1G Tourney Championships

12-13 in B1G Tournament 

Missed the B1G Tourney in 18’ 

Never made it to a Super Regional 

Team batting average has went down every year after Bolt left I believe (2015-Present)

The ONLY reason people are upset about Erstad resigning is because he played Football and Baseball at Nebraska. Had he been some Joe Schmoe that had no connection with Nebraska, Husker baseball fans would be calling for him to be fired with his career resume at Nebraska

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Erstad won 1 Conference Championship due to both Minnesota and Michigan losing and Nebraska beating a very bad Penn State team. It’s not like Nebraska caked walked through the conference to win it they needed a lot of help to win the Conference. 

2-8 in Regionals

12-13 in B1G Tournament 

Team batting average has went down every year after Bolt left I believe (2015-Present)

The ONLY reason people are upset about Erstad resigning is because he played Football and Baseball at Nebraska. Had he been some Joe Schmoe that had no connection with Nebraska, Husker baseball fans would be calling for him to be fired with his career resume at Nebraska

I never understood the complaint about Erstad’s conference championship of him “backing into the title on the last weekend”. The conference championship was won due to NU’s record over the entire conference season.  The games in the first weekend mean as much as they do in the last weekend.  This argument seems to be brought up by Erstad detractors all the time, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

BTW, I wasn’t an Erstad apologist or a detractor, I just look at his record, the program he inherited, and the in-state talent at the time to make my opinions. Erstad wasn’t great, but he wasn’t terrible either. 

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 2

I totally get the wanting to retire thing but sometimes these guys make it sound like no one else has to work full time and that they are the only ones that "don't get to see their kids grow up"

I would venture (who remembers that store?) to guess that DE had way more downtime and the resources to spend way more time with his family/kids than probably 90% of the working population.  

Also, how much time can you spend with your family?  Shoot, if I was DE I would keep my coaching job and get a part time gig to spend even less time at home...hahahaha

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I totally get the wanting to retire thing but sometimes these guys make it sound like no one else has to work full time and that they are the only ones that "don't get to see their kids grow up"

I would venture (who remembers that store?) to guess that DE had way more downtime and the resources to spend way more time with his family/kids than probably 90% of the working population.  

Also, how much time can you spend with your family?  Shoot, if I was DE I would keep my coaching job and get a part time gig to spend even less time at home...hahahaha

I’m sure Erstad wants to be able to do what most of his former MLB teammates are able to do. They have a great life after baseball. They can live off their MLB money. Now Erstad can be a guest instructor or speaker at Spring Training.  He can go to Angels-fest and talk about his World Series victory. I’m sure Erstad was still looking for that competition after retiring from playing, but that desire for competition is hard to keep when he doesn’t “need to do it”. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Here's the last 42 years of Husker Baseball for your viewing pleasure.

Only four coaches in that span.

K7YOTUg.png

This shows how important the coach is to a northern team in baseball - AD will go three for three on this hire.

The Erstad/Miles comparison works because both had a very generous amount of time to meet pretty fair expectations and didn't. Erstad had more success than Miles on paper, but there's a good argument that how much ability it took to achieve it was comparable because the competition in baseball (in conference) is dramatically lower than it is in basketball. Also, both seem to be good guys who love Lincoln and ran programs that were easy to respect and follow.

This was certainly unexpected and I wasn't at all at the point of thinking Erstad needed to go quite yet, but I'm also not too sad for the program. Glad for him that he knows what's important in his life and kudos for making that decisions (coaching as a profession naturally attracts a certain personality that is insatiably driven to compete and succeed and climb and that can really cost you a lot), feel for the players surprised and affected by the news and optimistic about the timing of the whole thing with Moos at the helm. 

3 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

And if the Big Ten was the 2nd ranked conference in RPI in baseball like they were in basketball (as opposed to 7th), you'd be more correct. 

2 hours ago, Dewiz said:

2-8 in Regionals

12-13 in B1G Tournament 

Erstad was not losing at historic rates for a historically mediocre program.

So no.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Dewiz said:

2-8 in Regionals 

12-13 in B1G Tournament  

People seem to think success just... happens at Nebraska. Like it's just generated out of thin air. It's not.

Much of our expectations are shaped by the move to the Big 10. People expected it to be such a weak baseball conference that we'd just waltz in and immediately be the big dog on the block. It turns out that doesn't just happen by default because of the big red N.

The Big 10 put 5 teams in the postseason this year. It's not a bad baseball league. We don't get to walk in and be the best team because it's a crappy conference. Nor because we're Nebraska.

The expectations of a lot of Nebraska fans have been wildly unrealistic for a while now. We got spoiled by TO in football and a few great years from Van Horn in baseball. Some people think that's the status we return to just by dint of being Nebraska. It's pretty silly and kind of smug in a way to look down on B10 baseball or football for that matter and just think we're better than them when we haven't earned it.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

The expectations of a lot of Nebraska fans have been wildly unrealistic for a while now. 

But is that because of Erstad or because of Nebraska baseball's ceiling?

I agree that the expectations have been unrealistic, not just in baseball but in a lot of areas. But I'd argue Moos is showing us that the only reason those expectations have been unrealistic has because we've had B or C level coaches and commitment while expecting A level results. Moos is now giving A level commitment and resources. As far as I know this is really the first time our University has ever really done that.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Erstad was not losing at historic rates for a historically mediocre program.

So no.

Erstad had a worse record that the three coaches that preceded him. So while he was not "losing at historic rates", he was not better than the coaches that led the "mediocre program" before him. 

• Plus1 1

Let’s hope Moos has an envelope with 3 names in his desk drawer that he’s been keeping updated for head baseball coaches. “In Moos We Trust”?

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Erstad had a worse record that the three coaches that preceded him. So no, he was not "losing at historic rates". He, however, was not better than the coaches that led the "mediocre program" before him. 

I wasn't arguing that he was.

Although it's kind of a tough judgement to make about Anderson.  Overall he did much better.  But he took over on the heels of the greatest Husker teams in history.  He did well for several years but kind of ran the program into the ground his last three.  Erstad had to start at the bottom and build up while Anderson did the opposite.  So it's kind of the Frank Solich argument all over again - was he a good coach or did he ride the coattails of the great coach that came before him.

And Erstad was much, much closer to achieving your own personal benchmarks for the program than Sanders ever was.  So did he have better teams or an easier schedule to rack up wins?

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Erstad had a worse record that the three coaches that preceded him. So while he was not "losing at historic rates", he was not better than the coaches that led the "mediocre program" before him. 

He also scheduled better competition in the non conference.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I wasn't arguing that he was.

Although it's kind of a tough judgement to make about Anderson.  Overall he did much better.  But he took over on the heels of the greatest Husker teams in history.  He did well for several years but kind of ran the program into the ground his last three.  Erstad had to start at the bottom and build up while Anderson did the opposite.  So it's kind of the Frank Solich argument all over again - was he a good coach or did he ride the coattails of the great coach that came before him.

And Erstad was much, much closer to achieving your own personal benchmarks for the program than Sanders ever was.  So did he have better teams or an easier schedule to rack up wins?

I won't disagree with much of this; Anderson certainly took a downturn, particularly when DVH's recruits tapered off, and the momentum from the CWS trips had wained. And I think had Erstad stayed, his next two teams would have been his best two teams, in no small part to his recruiting efforts the past couple of years (I have heard that he didn't have the best relationships with HS coaches in the area in the early years of his tenure; it would seem his past couple of recruiting classes would point to those fences having been mended). 

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Landlord said:

But is that because of Erstad or because of Nebraska baseball's ceiling?

I agree that the expectations have been unrealistic, not just in baseball but in a lot of areas. But I'd argue Moos is showing us that the only reason those expectations have been unrealistic has because we've had B or C level coaches and commitment while expecting A level results. Moos is now giving A level commitment and resources. As far as I know this is really the first time our University has ever really done that.

Probably a little of both.

Moos has done a fantastic job but he's also gotten somewhat lucky in terms of timing on his two previous hires. Our two consensus favorite candidates for each position just happened to have worked their way up the coaching ladder in their respective sports AND in Hoiberg's case, been available (imagine if the Bulls run had worked out?) when we had openings to fill.

For example, before we hired Riley, I heard talk of just throwing whatever money it took to lure a top tier coach - i.e., a Saban or luring Jim Tressel out of retirement. Even our ideas about the right coach to fill an opening can get unrealistic.

It sucks because memories of the past and a couple decades of mostly irrelevance warps Husker fan's perception of where we are now and what's actually possible here.

7 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Probably a little of both.

Moos has done a fantastic job but he's also gotten somewhat lucky in terms of timing on his two previous hires. Our two consensus favorite candidates for each position just happened to have worked their way up the coaching ladder in their respective sports AND in Hoiberg's case, been available (imagine if the Bulls run had worked out?) when we had openings to fill.

For example, before we hired Riley, I heard talk of just throwing whatever money it took to lure a top tier coach - i.e., a Saban or luring Jim Tressel out of retirement. Even our ideas about the right coach to fill an opening can get unrealistic.

It sucks because memories of the past and a couple decades of mostly irrelevance warps Husker fan's perception of where we are now and what's actually possible here.

BuT wHo wOuld We EveR gEt to Coach HeRe, No oNe wAnts To CoMe to NebrAskA.  

That's all I have heard before Riley, before Fred, before this now, before the other moves in other sports.  You know what makes coaches want to come here, clear cut expectations, support, and big fat checks.  Also knowing the risk of what they are doing.  I don't care if we fire a coach after 3 years of terrible performance, what are you going to do, be worse?  

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

The Erstad/Miles comparison works because both had a very generous amount of time to meet pretty fair expectations and didn't. Erstad had more success than Miles on paper, but there's a good argument that how much ability it took to achieve it was comparable because the competition in baseball (in conference) is dramatically lower than it is in basketball. Also, both seem to be good guys who love Lincoln and ran programs that were easy to respect and follow.

Perhaps it's just semantics, and I don't mean to belabor the point, but if we're going to qualify coaches by 'did they meet expectations or not,' then we're basically saying there are only two ways to evaluate a coach. That seems incredibly unjust. I don't think it's that black and white to just put them in pools of 'did they meet expectations' or 'did they not meet expectations.' It feels myopic. I'm glad you acknowledged his greater success on paper, but the discussion is still being framed in such a way like it doesn't matter.

And maybe this is just me getting hung up on the suggestion he "wasn't a very good coach." 'Very good' is a subjective term that can mean any number of things, but saying someone with Erstad's accomplishments "wasn't a very good coach" or was "no better" than Miles feels wrong. I would position that Erstad was a very good coach, but that doesn't necessarily mean he did the best job he could have, or that he accomplished what he needed to.

It feels equally relevant to remind everyone too that Erstad was in pretty good standing with Moos, and this was discussed prior to the regionals. Miles was not. There are some fairly poignant reasons as to why this would all be the case, which again, in my opinion, makes the comparison feel lazy.