What did we Learn? (The NIU Huskies Edition)

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm pretty sure for a lot of the second half, the first team offense was allowing time off the clock with no real reason to be an up tempo rhythm.  

That's not the case. We were talking about this in the stands. They were snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock a lot in the 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Again, please reread what I originally posted. My post had nothing to do with "how good" they were. I was questioning why the second team's tempo was so much faster than the first team. 

The second team would line up quickly, run the play, and repeat. All with great speed. 

The first team would line up at an average pace, look over to the sidelines, make adjustments, run the play, and repeat. 

I feel like the first team, specifically Martinez, would benefit going faster.

I definitely agree with this. The tempo was a huge question mark all game long. Then the 2nd Unit comes in and ZOOM! Away they go.

It's weird. We're basically running the "Check with Beck" offense that everyone hated a few years ago.

I do kind of notice some of the things that Igetbored is pointing out. Martinez plays pretty well when he's just going hard and improvising.

My 'glass half full' take is that we've got six games to get this year's WR corps and Martinez gelling as a unit. In my opinion, there's a good chance that by that point that a lot of our drives could look more like that two minute drill at the end of the first half. That's what UCF looked like in 2017; they attacked so hard on offense for four full quarters, every game. 

As guys like Wan'Dale and Noa learn how to get open in this offense we'll be putting a lot of these conference opponents on their heels from the start of the game. I really believe that.

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

I do kind of notice some of the things that Igetbored is pointing out. Martinez plays pretty well when he's just going hard and improvising.

My 'glass half full' take is that we've got six games to get this year's WR corps and Martinez gelling as a unit. In my opinion, there's a good chance that by that point that a lot of our drives could look more like that two minute drill at the end of the first half. That's what UCF looked like in 2017; they attacked so hard on offense for four full quarters, every game. 

As guys like Wan'Dale and Noa learn how to get open in this offense we'll be putting a lot of these conference opponents on their heels from the start of the game. I really believe that.

Definitely think gelling will help. One of his new targets, Noa, missed a decent amount of camp with injuries and Wandale did too. His safety blanket from last year in Warner has been injured. It doesn't explain everything, but AM may still be getting more and more comfortable with his guys and Saturday helped a lot.

58 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

How many of those qb's have looked like they've regressed from last season?  It was mostly just a couple drives that stalled bc play calling was iffy or Martinez missed his receivers.  Running that qb draw twice on 3&11 in the first half :facepalm:

Trevor Lawrence, for one.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

Again, please reread what I originally posted. My post had nothing to do with "how good" they were. I was questioning why the second team's tempo was so much faster than the first team. 

The second team would line up quickly, run the play, and repeat. All with great speed. 

The first team would line up at an average pace, look over to the sidelines, make adjustments, run the play, and repeat. 

I feel like the first team, specifically Martinez, would benefit going faster.

What don't you understand? The offense "looked" smoother, more faster, and more efficient to YOU, however you're not taking into effect that the game was already over with anyway. Did you not see the 80+ yard TD drive in 5 plays and 39 seconds before half time by the first team offense? Was that not "fast" enough for you? :dunno

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, Ulty said:

1. WTF kind of gimmicky defense does Eckrich run where they call their DL positions "Ed" and "Di" with only 2 linebackers?

2. Do they even know what position Jojo Domann plays? 

3. Why is MSU gray and Illinois dark blue?

Pretty sure "ED" is "EDGE" and "DI" is something to the effect of "Defensive Interior" to account for the variations between a 3-4 and a 4-3 (an OLB in a 3-4 is often considered and Edge Rusher).  There would still seem to need to be a seventh guy up front but perhaps they choose to go with the "Flex" option to be able to give a higher-rated player credit regardless of position.

Domann plays a lot of Nickel and our field OLB is basically a Nickel back against spread teams so it's not out of the realm to slot him in as a Corner.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure "ED" is "EDGE" and "DI" is something to the effect of "Defensive Interior" to account for the variations between a 3-4 and a 4-3 (an OLB in a 3-4 is often considered and Edge Rusher).  There would still seem to need to be a seventh guy up front but perhaps they choose to go with the "Flex" option to be able to give a higher-rated player credit regardless of position.

Domann plays a lot of Nickel and our field OLB is basically a Nickel back against spread teams so it's not out of the realm to slot him in as a Corner.

But Lamar Jackson is actually a CB and Domann is more of a flex guy. Those ratings aren't worth the paper they weren't written on.

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

That's not the case. We were talking about this in the stands. They were snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock a lot in the 2nd half.

I definitely agree with this. The tempo was a huge question mark all game long. Then the 2nd Unit comes in and ZOOM! Away they go.

It's weird. We're basically running the "Check with Beck" offense that everyone hated a few years ago.

I saw that and wondered if it the staff trying to help Martinez/OL make the right or "better" reads/line calls...

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

Is that why the entire offense  stops and stares at the sidelines?