What did we Learn? (The NIU Huskies Edition)

Probably everyone else figured this out already but:

In 11 quarters this year (excluding the fourth quarter at Colorado) our defense has given up a total of 34 points - would be less than 12 points per game if that was the full third game.  And we greatly aided South Alabama in getting 14 of their points (bad punt and late hit on their first TD, muffed punt on their second).  

Now ... granted ... we haven't exactly played the top offenses in the country.  But that's pretty solid save for one quarter this year.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Probably everyone else figured this out already but:

In 11 quarters this year (excluding the fourth quarter at Colorado) our defense has given up a total of 34 points - would be less than 12 points per game if that was the full third game.  And we greatly aided South Alabama in getting 14 of their points (bad punt and late hit on their first TD, muffed punt on their second).  

Now ... granted ... we haven't exactly played the top offenses in the country.  But that's pretty solid save for one quarter this year.

To remind, that was the 4th quarter at over a mile above sea level. 

Im really curious to see how this type of data translates in the next two weeks. 

Next week needs to be dominate. And the following should be loose, fast, and no fear of failure. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, WyoHusker56 said:

Not sure this applies exactly to a football player, but it's kind of an interesting article: https://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/education/edlife/getting-over-the-sophomore-slump.html

It was either Mitch Sherman or Sam McKewon who commented that sophomore QB's do struggle often.  This is due to, during their freshman year, the coaches keep things simple, and tailor the offense to easy reads and fewer plays.  Then in their 2nd year of the offense, the coaches will add more of the playbook and complexity to the offense, and the sophomore can struggle with the additional complexities to the offense.  If this is happening with Martinez (I don't think he's "struggling" as many think he is), I would expect his play to improve with more reps.  Plus, defenses have a year of film on Martinez, so they are trying to take away what he does best.

• Plus1 2

34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was either Mitch Sherman or Sam McKewon who commented that sophomore QB's do struggle often.  This is due to, during their freshman year, the coaches keep things simple, and tailor the offense to easy reads and fewer plays.  Then in their 2nd year of the offense, the coaches will add more of the playbook and complexity to the offense, and the sophomore can struggle with the additional complexities to the offense.  If this is happening with Martinez (I don't think he's "struggling" as many think he is), I would expect his play to improve with more reps.  Plus, defenses have a year of film on Martinez, so they are trying to take away what he does best.

Ya I think this totally makes sense. Outside of the USA game I don't think he has struggled as much as some think. I think your point about more reps is important too. NIU was his best game this year and I think it'll only continue to improve as he gels with his offensive players and gets more confident in dealing with defensive changes and added scheme complexities.

32 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Trevor Lawrence hasn't played at a stellar level this year so far either. He just has a better team around him right now to get through it.

Yup, this too.

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, FTW said:

What don't you understand? The offense "looked" smoother, more faster, and more efficient to YOU, however you're not taking into effect that the game was already over with anyway. Did you not see the 80+ yard TD drive in 5 plays and 39 seconds before half time by the first team offense? Was that not "fast" enough for you? :dunno

They were moving fast before halftime, because they didn't have a choice. There wasn't much time left. That drive was great though. Look how great the offense looks when they move fast.

Like I said, I believe this offense, specifically Martinez, would benefit going fast. Call the play, line up fast, run the play, repeat. Stop looking at the sidelines all the time for changes. It messes up the timing of the offense.

• Plus1 1