Nebraska Football Staff

BIG ERN

15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Remember: college football experts put Nebraska #24 at the start of the season, and Big10 watchers had us contending for the division. This was based on Scott Frost's coaching and the talent already on Nebraska's roster.

Nebraska fans didn't invent these expectations from wishful thinking. 

This is true.

The "experts", however, did not say we'd be undefeated or in contention for a playoff spot.

We are still "contending" for the division as.of today.

I'm sure you'll remember last season we started off 0-6.....historically bad.

We got better as the season went on last season.  We're 3-2 right now.

Let's let this play out.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Stone Cold said:

I dont think martinez is the guy this year.  We just need to do what we can this year and hope for the best next year.  Martinez has shown me zero this season on his throwing.  His running, yesterday i couldnt believe he was run down.  TMart seemed faster then AMart was yesterday or this season at all.  

Taylor was always faster than Adrian, it was Adrian’s other attributes that potentially made him elite. They appear to have gone away 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I thought we would see more and have a better differential. Besides that...other feedback on the lack of player development?

I think we are an young team taking lumps. Didn't realize how much we were really losing last year. Everyone talks about Zig and Stan, but I miss Foster and Farmer. We have little for upperclassmen due to attrition mainly.

Player development happens over the course of a career and is affected by surrounding pieces. Ultimately I think Frost told us the truth when he said the players are better than last year. We have won 3 games, last year at this point we were 0-5. We won games we would have found ways to lose a year ago at this time. So I think we are getting better.

I try not to compare the end of last season to the start of this one. I think a more apt comparison is the the beginning of last season. Things are playing out quite similarly in my mind only difference being we are better and can win a game at this point. I think we see the player development side of things unfold as the season goes along. We got better as the season went along last year, and until I see otherwise I am going to expect the same result.

21 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Not one person. Barry isn't that good either as I've been saying. Jackson and Bootle aren't good. Dismuke def isn't good. Jackson might get looks based on his size. Bootle gets thrown on ALL THE TIME. 

I know you posted this last night when emotions were the highest. Here's my take: Jackson and Bootle probably grade out as a 'B.' But Fields and their two starting wideouts are seriously all three an 'A+.' On those out routes, it's good athletes versus great athletes.

I'd say Bootle, Jackson, Domann, and Tannor are good athletes. But everybody else just isn't all that athletic. We knew this last year. We aren't that fast as a defense, and we know this only gets fixed with recruiting. 

This thing is going to take 4-5 years.

8 minutes ago, Undone said:

I know you posted this last night when emotions were the highest. Here's my take: Jackson and Bootle probably grade out as a 'B.' But Fields and their two starting wideouts are seriously all three an 'A+.' On those out routes, it's good athletes versus great athletes.

I'd say Bootle, Jackson, Domann, and Tannor are good athletes. But everybody else just isn't all that athletic. We knew this last year. We aren't that fast as a defense, and we know this only gets fixed with recruiting. 

That whole WR group at OSU can eat nearly any secondary in the country for lunch no joke. Extremely talented, even the freshman...Wilson right now could start just about anywhere.

Just now, Undone said:

I truly believe Frost knew/knows this.  He pumps up the team and the fan base. What do you expect him to say.

I also honestly thought we would be doing better at this point.  He seems frustrated and perplexed....

48 minutes ago, TheSker said:

This is true.

The "experts", however, did not say we'd be undefeated or in contention for a playoff spot.

We are still "contending" for the division as.of today.

I'm sure you'll remember last season we started off 0-6.....historically bad.

We got better as the season went on last season.  We're 3-2 right now.

Let's let this play out.

This is true.

It's just that I felt considerably better after our fourth win last year than I did our third win this year. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Explain why. Because of the 2017 UCF season?

Explain why?  Unless you were being rhetorical with the question......Year 2 in the system.  Not having to teach the system from step 1.  AM with another years experience (as well as a lot of the team).  Healthy Honas, Mo year 2,   S&C year 2, better buy in, culture, more favorable schedule, has "more of his guys"........All the preseason hype....."Most" teams make a jump from year 1 to year 2...  I figured Frost wouldn't need a time out to start a half.  Thought we'd have less penalties....

Trust me, UCF has no bearing on what or how I thought NU would do.  Different conference, talent etc....

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, lo country said:

Explain why?  Unless you were being rhetorical with the question......Year 2 in the system.  Not having to teach the system from step 1.  AM with another years experience (as well as a lot of the team).  Healthy Honas, Mo year 2,   S&C year 2, better buy in, culture, more favorable schedule, has "more of his guys"........All the preseason hype....."Most" teams make a jump from year 1 to year 2...  I figured Frost wouldn't need a time out to start a half.  Thought we'd have less penalties....

Trust me, UCF has no bearing on what or how I thought NU would do.  Different conference, talent etc....

Add on positive momentum the way they get played to close out the year.  Yes, key seniors had moved on, but the overall vibe of the team was excited for the future and what the team could become