Nebraska Football Staff

BIG ERN

Lets look at the positives... Mills didnt fumble, he averaged 6+ per carry and he also made a tackle on kickoff coverage and thats agaisnt the best team they will see all year.  People were writing him off last week.  The defense minus two linebackers played pretty well considering...  i think they are really one pass rusher away from being a very good defense.  They sacked fields what 3 timess?? Thats pretty good.  Silver lining people come on 

• Haha 1

There were a couple plays on the first (or second) Ohio State drive, where all the DB’s cleared out on our left side and gave fields a free run to the outside.

Another time Bootle was motioning in to the middle shadowing someone and the receiver pointed at him knowing he had him beat.

That screams a problem with our scheme and there has to be adjustments to this defense. Ohio State studied the crap out of our defense and came ready to exploit faults.

It’s not all on the coaches, but dang it. Adapt or next man the next couple of years for us to continue to grow. Maybe adopt what OSU is doing?

2 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

There were a couple plays on the first (or second) Ohio State drive, where all the DB’s cleared out on our left side and gave fields a free run to the outside.

Another time Bootle was motioning in to the middle shadowing someone and the receiver pointed at him knowing he had him beat.

That screams a problem with our scheme and there has to be adjustments to this defense. Ohio State studied the crap out of our defense and came ready to exploit faults.

It’s not all on the coaches, but dang it. Adapt or next man the next couple of years for us to continue to grow. Maybe adopt what OSU is doing?

Is Chinander a good enough D coordinator adjust all game with elite coaches on the opposite sideline who are adjusting? 

58 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Is Chinander a good enough D coordinator adjust all game with elite coaches on the opposite sideline who are adjusting? 

You know, I really want to say a year from now when the chips fall and we have other conditions of our team fixed that he will.

The talent gap (should) be fixed, the fundamentals (should) be better, the game experience will be better, but the game adjustments are the one thing we should not be worried about right now and (some) coaches are flat out in over their head with schemes. Tough to compete when their coaches are coordinating attacks on our teams weaknesses.

14 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

I think he's almost too loyal to bench or fire people

Game 5 of year 2 and we're calling for firings already? Jesus f#&%ing christ, what fantasy world do you live in?

We cant fire our way out of this and doing so would set us back. We need continuity, maturation and a few more recruiting classes. Above all, we need patience from fans and media. This thing was never going to be built overnight. We have glaring depth issues that were very seriously exposed last night.

• Plus1 6

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

It's definitely too early to be calling for anyone's head, but I'll say this: I'm still not sold on the 3-4 defense. I'm hoping that once we get better LBs that it will be successful for us, but right now with that as one of the weakest parts of our team, I'd kill to see 4-3.

I think we are better suited for that as our base with the talent we have on the DL.  Next year will be interesting on DL as we lose a lot of starts....

One of the biggest concerns right now with this staff is Player Development.  Year over year you should see most if not all players performing better than they were the prior year.  As it stands now, it does not feel like some of the following have shown improvement, whether in their skill level or their strength level:

• Adrian Martinez-Definitely looks worse than a year ago
  • Washington-He is hit and miss but I was hoping to see more
  • Most tight ends-They are either not getting open or are being overlooked by AM.  I thought they would have a much greater role on the team
  • O-line-This has been a problem at Nebraska for many years and still is despite being told how much stronger these guys have gotten in the off season
  • Isaac Armstrong-He was booming many punts last year when he took over, and this year he seems to struggle to punt it 40 yards
  • Defensively its been up and down this season, and with how bad the offense has looked at times, our defense has been put into some tough situations.  I honestly thought the D-line would be more powerful though with Darrion Daniels and the Davis twins all upper classmen with experience
  • I also thought we would have more takeaways.  We did a nice job in the opener and against NIU but have struggled otherwise

If Frost wants to take this program to the next level, it starts with each player making and showing improvements on the field, and that should then raise the level of performance for the entire team.