Talented, Strong, Fast, Clean, Well-Coached

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes....

People are melting down over being beat bad by a very very good team. 

Before this game, very few gave us a chance to win this game. Every expert in the Expert Picks thread picked OSU. Vegas had us losing by a long ways. 

Im not sure why everyone now is acting like the result was some major shock to the system. 

I think everyone figured we'd lose.  I do not think many thought that it would be as humiliating as it was.....That was an embarrassing melt down on national tv.  It's one thing to lose, but we looked like some FCS team out there last night.  

It's not the loss, it was the fashion.  As I said in the game thread, I was more upset withe the loss to CU than last night.  Couldn't get angry as I was prepared for the loss.  Truly thought it'd be closer....

I think, IMHO, last night left more questions than answers.  At least for me.  How does one close the gap when we were out performed at every level, position, coaching, phase and scheme...

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think everyone figured we'd lose.  I do not think many thought that it would be as humiliating as it was.....That was an embarrassing melt down on national tv.  It's one thing to lose, but we looked like some FCS team out there last night.  

It's not the loss, it was the fashion.  As I said in the game thread, I was more upset withe the loss to CU than last night.  Couldn't get angry as I was prepared for the loss.  Truly thought it'd be closer....

I think, IMHO, last night left more questions than answers.  At least for me.  How does one close the gap when we were out performed at every level, position, coaching, phase and scheme...

A lot of people were expecting a blow out. Not sure what they expected it to look like. 

I thought it could be a close game....but also could be a blowout. 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A lot of people were expecting a blow out. Not sure what they expected it to look like. 

I thought it could be a close game....but also could be a blowout. 

Yeah, at my work hundreds of fans said the same things. "We're going to lose but I hope they play hard and go down swinging. I hope they don't get blown out." The general consensus is we all didn't think we could beat them but maybe we didn't think it would look as bad as it did. My Kool aid said 38-35 Huskers but my brain said 45-21 type game. Knew going in turnovers were going to be our Achilles heel and now we're the worst or is it the best team in the country at it? Who cares. It has to end.

If we continue to do this and give teams short fields we won't beat Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, etc. It's really mind boggling that we are so careless with the football. I'm worried this won't be the last blowout loss of the year.

37 minutes ago, lo country said:

The Colorado loss IMO is something they could learn from. The OSU loss knocked them down to reality and showed how far off we really are. There wasn't even a measuring stick to compare us to them. They're in an entirely different world than us. They exposed our weaknesses on both the offensive and defensive lines. You close the gap with talent, period. Recruit, recruit, recruit. Frost inherited decent talent and speed at UCF. He didn't and doesn't yet have that here. He needs 2 more classes I think to get this thing moving in the right direction.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, FTW said:

The Colorado loss IMO is something they could learn from. The OSU loss knocked them down to reality and showed how far off we really are. There wasn't even a measuring stick to compare us to them. They're in an entirely different world than us. They exposed our weaknesses on both the offensive and defensive lines. You close the gap with talent, period. Recruit, recruit, recruit. Frost inherited decent talent and speed at UCF. He didn't and doesn't yet have that here. He needs 2 more classes I think to get this thing moving in the right direction.

This is exactly right.

Anyone who expected last night's game to be close must've watched the first four games with rose colored glasses. We don't have the depth and we don't have the skill to play with Ohio State. That's just the reality of where we are. 

It's going to take time. The sky is not falling. 

6 hours ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

"Now that's a Big Ten team."  Etc.. those are all the words heard around our section last night about OSU. 

There was a guy in his 60s from Ohio right next to me on my left.  As the game plodded on and the stadium grew less and less loud with the "Go Big Red" and "Husker Power" cheers, he pointed out a few things about our team upon being asked for his opinion:  "No O-line to speak of."  "Martinez needs a big hole to run through, collapses in small creases, can't see down field very well for open receivers, panics, poise comes and goes."  He was not nasty about it;  we were all having conversation and his views were welcome, and of course spot on. 

"Your co-ordinators over there call in bad plays.. they defeat the offense's momentum."  

"Untrained Special Teams all around."

This is stuff we talk about in here and put our Red spin on because we want more wins.  We're not going to get very many wins with a team and coaching staff like this.  We need recruits who are like those guys who pummeled us at will yesterday.  Can we get them? 

Could not agree more with those comments.  The comments on the coordinators play calling is spot on, something I have felt in each game so far. I know it’s common now but I really don’t like passing out to the flats along the line for little gain.  When our opponents do it, their receivers are usually 4-5 yards down field.  

2 hours ago, Whs from cb said:

Coach of the year and a former Nebraska player and you are down on him?  The reason we are in this situtation is because of the turnover of the staff every 3-5 years.  If you think you are going to get a better coach to come to Nebraska, I think you are kidding yourself.  Nebraska won in the last decade because of consistency and doing things the Nebraska way.  Nebraska has gotten away from that and the past twenty years are proof!!!  It's going to take consistency and time to change this program into a top ten program. 

I think some of the criticisms on Frost are appropriate but he does not need to be replaced- just requests for changes and improvements.  Rapid changeovers in staff don’t usually get good results.  We fired Bohl and went on to be a great head coach at North Dakota State and is doing great at Wyoming.  Solich has done good things at Ohio also.  

I hope the coaches are learning and improving each year and pray recruiting won’t suffer.  

I can remember when people wanted Osborne replaced because he played a lot weak teams but could not win the big ones.  He made changes to win- mostly be recruiting speed.

Which coaching style is best- keep playing and encouraging players who make mistakes repeatedly or at some benching them?  

If a player continues to fumble, throw bad passes, draws flags, or misses blocks, why not bench them for a time?  Reinforce the idea that if can’t get it done right, we will find someone who can!

is there a real difference between first stringer not getting it done right and a second or third stringer’s inexperience?

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FTW said:

Yeah, at my work hundreds of fans said the same things. "We're going to lose but I hope they play hard and go down swinging. I hope they don't get blown out." The general consensus is we all didn't think we could beat them but maybe we didn't think it would look as bad as it did. My Kool aid said 38-35 Huskers but my brain said 45-21 type game. Knew going in turnovers were going to be our Achilles heel and now we're the worst or is it the best team in the country at it? Who cares. It has to end.

If we continue to do this and give teams short fields we won't beat Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland, etc. It's really mind boggling that we are so careless with the football. I'm worried this won't be the last blowout loss of the year.

Martinez was a liability last night. Three bad passes = three picks. We wouldn’t have won that game anyway, but That can’t continue or we won’t win another game. That’s unfortunate, because I believe the rest of our regular season games are winnable. 

I don’t know if he has the yips or what the heck’s going on, but Coach may have a difficult decision to make soon. 

Dudes!  I am not kidding you when I say we all and I mean every swingin chain in Nebraska, pony up 1000 right now and Brinks truck that ship straight to the tarmac where Nick SABAN gets off the plane.  The only shame will be Alabama for not coming up with as much money as us.  

THEN we immediately Send The BIG 12 notice that we want OU on turkey day 2021.   And we send Ken Shamrock and both of TLC's "Little Couple" to negotiate that.   And Tom Osborne.

Next all of the posh viewing suites at the stadium are immediately turned into one big open hot tub party with free beer.  We deserve this, after the last 18 years, they will have names like "Callahan suite" And Riley suite.  They will have to haul my a&$ out of there with a CRANE.

• Haha 1
On 9/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Yes....

People are melting down over being beat bad by a very very good team. 

Before this game, very few gave us a chance to win this game. Every expert in the Expert Picks thread picked OSU. Vegas had us losing by a long ways. 

Im not sure why everyone now is acting like the result was some major shock to the system. 

Because we expected to lose, but not be down 39-0 at halftime.  

• Plus1 1

Dewitt needs to figure it out. I get the health issues, but this is big boy football. The program needs to help or fill in where needed there, because everyone agrees that our special teams are an absolute joke. 

Not sure about Austin. We have a young, patchwork o-line with a true guard trying to play tackle. He gets a pass until these new studs we've recruited either show results or not.

Chinander may need looking at. Good guy, and I hope he succeeds, but a lax 3-4 ain't gonna slow down the Wisconsins or Iowas of the world. When we play Wisconsin, if we're playing 2 deep/Diaco soft, I'm gonna lose my crap. Get 9 in the box and MAKE them beat us with the pass. They don't want to pass. They want to give the ball to their Heisman back and get 408 yards in 3 quarters. DON'T LET THEM. Key every play on Taylor and wear that man like a suit. If they beat us with the pass, so be it, but I guarantee it'll be close if that's the case. 

Even Cosgrove threw 6 and 7 man blitzes at Texas when we were huge dogs and we almost pulled it out. I love these kids, but God bless them, they ain't gonna win hat for hat against the mobile mountain range otherwise known as the Wisconsin offensive line.  They've absolutely pushed us around like little girls the last 2 times we've played them, and it's getting old. 

• Plus1 1

I really like all the honesty Cornhusker fans have in this thread. It’s refreshing. 

My honest take is:

Turnovers and penalties. Sometimes really great teams like tOSU force them (but did they?) and sometimes we just give them away. First play of the game (kickoff): penalty, drive ends in with an INT. Rinse repeat. 

Until we clean up turnovers and penalties we’ll constantly be playing from behind or be in a dog fight.  Every. Single. Big. Game. For. 20. Years we’ve been plagued by them. Clean it up. 

Then let’s get  the Trenches solid. Those 3 issues are our Plague. Young, and not as talented players give penalties. And they give turnovers. 

Cant wait for our guys to mature THIS SEASON and moving forward into yr 3 of Frost. But if the first 2 don’t clean up, it doesn’t matter. 

• Plus1 1

You all need to quit knocking the O-line.  Nebraska recruited them so unless You want to admit that the Huskers recruit crap players with no talent put the blame where it belongs...coaching and development.

If this O-line was at Iowa or Wisconsin do you think they would be out looking clueless?  No...because these schools have coaching staffs that concentrate on technique and development.  Nebraska...through coaching turnover or ineptitude or whatever...hasn't been doing this for years.  Bo hired Barney for gods sake.  That should tell you how much importance has been put on the O-line over the past years.

The lunacy continues...and Farinok is a great example.  Younger brother of an All Big 12 and NFL center, he played center in high school, was recruited as a center, gets to Nebraska and some genius decides he's a tackle?  The hell???  

Don't think it will get better any time soon.  Most decent linemen in the immediate recruiting area are getting snapped up by Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma...even Iowa State is picking off a stray lineman or two.  

What's the answer?  Who knows...hire Barney back maybe.  Poach a line coach from somewhere like K-state where line play is always decent.  Ultimately though, everyone needs to quit hating on the linemen, replacing them with younger guys who are just as ineptly coached as they are is just going to give you a new crop of linemen to hate on next year.

• Plus1 2