Fair catching the kickoff

4 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

With the hang time their kicker had on his kicks and the speed of which their cover team had it was smart.  He wouldn’t make it to the 15.  

Crazy what a solid kicker and having insane depth that allows you to put studs on cover teams can do for your coverage team stats and starting field position.

Totally agree. Starting on the 25 was definitely the best possible outcome last night. It's actually the smartest thing we could do. It isn't being afraid to make a play, it's recognizing that you aren't going to do any better. Spielman, Wan'dale, Mowa etc. may be men among boys on our team but they don't really move the needle compared to tOSUs two deep.

All these new rules, blocking, tackling and kick returning , are aimed at eliminating the most dangerous injury causing aspects of the game. If some fat old beer guzzling geezer thinks we need to get back to good old-fashioned smashmouth football, I'm okay with putting him in for a series just as a reminder of the former players living with lifelong injuries.

5 hours ago, Hayseed said:

All these new rules, blocking, tackling and kick returning , are aimed at eliminating the most dangerous injury causing aspects of the game. If some fat old beer guzzling geezer thinks we need to get back to good old-fashioned smashmouth football, I'm okay with putting him in for a series just as a reminder of the former players living with lifelong injuries.

Ask Wan'dale if he'd rather return a kick with complete control of the ball and full field vision, or go high for a pass on a crossing pattern. 

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

Husker Volleyball

Yes, I like watching winners!  Also now I have Nebrasketball to watch!  There's not enough time to stay up on all these sports so I think the smart move is to let the football program marinate and check back in a couple of years from now.  Nebrasketball rebuild might be more interesting.  I haven't followed college basketball in forever.  Hopefully this adidas scandal brings some cheater programs down and cleans up the sport a bit.

Edit.  Not really a BB "rebuild".  Can't think of the right word though

9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Ask Wan'dale if he'd rather return a kick with complete control of the ball and full field vision, or go high for a pass on a crossing pattern. 

That’ll be next.

I used to be strongly on the other side, but hearing about all the casualties I can sympathize with what they’re trying to do.

On 9/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, huskerdude171 said:

After that first botched kickoff return out of our own end zone by Robinson, he started fair catching each kickoff in the first half even if it was in the field of play.  While that may have been smart because our blocking on kickoff returns was terrible last night, doesn't that just show that this team is afraid to make plays?  Every big game it's just a total deer in the headlights look.  That was a very small part of the game, but I felt it symbolized what was going on as a whole.  A team that just doesn't have the want or desire to make plays.  And if that's the mentality we have, then no wonder we get stomped out by each decent team we play, and that's why we have these late game collapses in close games such as NW last year and Colorado this year.

It was our best offensive play the entire night man

It has nothing to do with NU's kick return sucks.  Do you think OSU's Kick return sucks?  With superior talent on their special teams they returned 2 kicks and neither got past the 25.  If it wasn't for one of our guys being a split second offsides they would have started once inside the 25 and once inside the 15.  As stated above, the rules are totally in favor of the kicking team so that teams don't run the ball back.