What did we learn? (The NW edition, sponsored by the MASH 4077)

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha!  I totally get what you are saying but as a really bad coach let me tell you what "sitting for a series" means.

It is not about the view or explaining things...it is about seeing it the backup all of a sudden is amazing...if he is...GOLD...if not...you toss that starter back in.

Yeah........no.

I’d just stick with the bad coach thing, maybe try gambling??

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Ha!  I totally get what you are saying but as a really bad coach let me tell you what "sitting for a series" means.

It is not about the view or explaining things...it is about seeing it the backup all of a sudden is amazing...if he is...GOLD...if not...you toss that starter back in.

I get that but it also lets the starter know a certain level of performance is expected of him. A bit of a wake up call. I know our center and OL (and receivers) are a huge part of the problem but the OL was nothing special last year and 2AM played much better then. It’s far from all his fault but he has not been the same player this year. When you can’t get the offense going, repeatedly, it’s time to sit for a series.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I feel like I don't know which is crazier sometimes.  Jurgens snapping issues or the entire kicking situation.

Dismuke with another nice game.  I feel better about Vedral should he start at Minnesota.  He handled the pressure well.  

Wan'dale Robinson is our best player and our most clutch player as a freshman.  We are so lucky to have him.

Just going to take this season for what it is and enjoy it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

We didn't learn this from this game, but Big Ten refs are utter garbage. Not even talking about the blown calls all over the field, but just basic, fundamental understanding of the rules.

Here's a great thread where this guy breaks down one of the worst calls of the game. No matter how you slice it, this was just badly, badly wrong.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

He had 5 passes and completed 2. It's not a large sample size, but he also didn't come in and go like 4 of 5 on his first drive for a TD. 

He does that, I'll listen to QB controversy. But he struggled with the bad snaps and OL just like Martinez. He hit the one good pass down the sideline to Wandale to help win the game. 

Not saying there should be a quarterback controversy, but to be fair, two of the incompletions were him wisely throwing the ball away.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 3
Just now, Dbqgolfer said:

Not saying there should be a quarterback controversy, but to be fair, two of the incompletions were him wisely throwing the ball away.

I can't believe there are malcontents on here already badmouthing our starting QB Noah Vedral. To these guys I'm sure the 3rd string QB is always better.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I get that but it also lets the starter know a certain level of performance is expected of him. A bit of a wake up call. I know our center and OL (and receivers) are a huge part of the problem but the OL was nothing special last year and 2AM played much better then. It’s far from all his fault but he has not been the same player this year. When you can’t get the offense going, repeatedly, it’s time to sit for a series.

Sure, but that is VERY different than what most posters have said/thought.

If Johnny backup comes in for his series and goes 6/6 for 90 yards and a TD...you are keeping him in.

If he goes 1-1 for minus 3 yards and a punt...you pull him and tell the starter "okay, now that you are relaxed and focused...go win us this game"