Defense Struggles

4 hours ago, TheSker said:

Your conversation with yourself might have been.

But the real question is why doesn't Frost bring a Venables to Nebraska?

The actual answer is a Venables will say no way!

IMO this is a false-dichotomy. Our choices would hardly be down to Venables(or some other elite DC already making six figures) or Chin. Of course the former wouldn't take the job here but that doesn't mean there aren't other quality candidates. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2019 at 11:33 PM, HUSKER 37 said:

It seemed to permeate through the Pac12...and then somewhat in the Big12...I remember worrying about Frost still believing in this while at UCF, especially when he brought Chin with him here...Maybe Chin is one of the few ''patsies'' that would go along with this doomed to fail experiment..

I sometimes even wondered if Callihan had a similar belief the way he seemed to hog most of the higher rated recruits for Offense and kept Cosgrove around.

21 hours ago, SFW said:

You mean like

Suh

Bowman

Gomes

Compton

Denard

Amukamara

Crick

Dillard

Got it.

That's even fewer Defensive recruits than I remembered..  :lol:

4 hours ago, Danimal said:

IMO this is a false-dichotomy. Our choices would hardly be down to Venables(or some other elite DC already making six figures) or Chin. Of course the former wouldn't take the job here but that doesn't mean there aren't other quality candidates. 

This "false dichotomy" is what the discussion is about.  Now you're taking it from "top tier" or "elite" to "quality".

5 hours ago, Danimal said:

Coach Beckton said Florida didn't want to bring the whole staff over,.I remember cringing that he would make such a thing public since it makes us look look more desperate. No he didn't go into detail as to who Florida didn't want but I would be shocked if Chin wasn't one of the guys Florida thought they could upgrade on.  After perusing Florida's defensive staff I can't say their stance was wrong. They have proven P5 coaches, we are hoping the coaches of an OK G5 defense. develop a lot. 

We are hoping a lot improves a lot.

We've had Riley.

I thought this was on Mo yesterday.

But from this look, Sam may be right.  Mo probably has QB (goint outside) and Miller is supposed to be on the RB (going inside).  Not sure if Miller thought the play was going to his left instead of straight ahead but you can't have your ILBs leave that much gap.

One of the things that frustrates me about this defense is it doesn't match up with the personnel the offense has on the field. When the other teams offense subs in receivers to spread us out Nebraska which I'm pretty sure by rule has the opportunity to sub if the other team does never subs in guys to match up with either a nickle or dime defense. When you can't generate pressure with four rushers and you then ask linebackers and safties to cover an offense with 4 receivers on the field for 4-5 seconds thats just not smart.

10 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

One of the things that frustrates me about this defense is it doesn't match up with the personnel the offense has on the field. When the other teams offense subs in receivers to spread us out Nebraska which I'm pretty sure by rule has the opportunity to sub if the other team does never subs in guys to match up with either a nickle or dime defense. When you can't generate pressure with four rushers and you then ask linebackers and safties to cover an offense with 4 receivers on the field for 4-5 seconds thats just not smart.

I think Chin stays in his base more often than not.  Even when it leaves LB's on receivers....No idea why. Just an observation.  We apparently have no concept of what "setting the edge" means either.

10 hours ago, Mavric said:

Hard to fault Domann's effort here.  But he's GOT to have outside contain.  Kind of like Nelson last week. Go 100 MPH to try to make a play but when it's not your responsibility you leave something like this wide open.

That was a good play but shouldn't have ever been there. Did the network tell Chin to call all the wrong plays to make it exciting? Why did we forget how to play on the final drive? That's fine if that's how they want to play it but the result is that the coach gets fired. Enough pro wrestling. Lay back and do nothing is not a P5 defense.

• Plus1 1
On 11/3/2019 at 12:41 PM, Mavric said:

Hard to fault Domann's effort here.  But he's GOT to have outside contain.  Kind of like Nelson last week. Go 100 MPH to try to make a play but when it's not your responsibility you leave something like this wide open.

I'm glad someone brought up this clip.  This exact same thing has happened a number of times in the last few games.  Like you said, Nelson last week did the same thing.  I think I Tanner do it too.  So, it's clearly not the player's fault.  It's how he is being told to play the play.  

BUT....can someone please tell me why you have an OLB on the right side of the line have responsibility to take the RB that is clearly going to attack the LEFT side of the line?  

Blake Lawrence's explanation doesn't make sense.  Where is the safety that he claims is supposed to cover the QB?

There is absolutely nobody in the left side of the defense left to do any type of contain.  This is the easiest 6 points Purdue has ever scored.  Stuff like this absolutely baffles me.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Darn shame our defensive philosophy is easily broken down on a napkin, hahahahahaha

You can draw up any play on a napkin? I mean just because someone can draw up a simplistic version of what we are doing on defense on a specific play doesn't really say anything except we have an answer for what Purdue did but the player on the field didn't play it like they were supposed to.

• Plus1 1