Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Undone said:

 

Agreed. And the idea that the defense doesn't have to step up and stop teams unless our offense is performing significantly better doesn't make any sense.

 

An evaluation of the defense is an evaluation of the defense. Look at Iowa's team; is their defense great because their offense scores so many points or whatever tf? No, not at all.

 

It's like even the fan base itself hasn't adjusted to the style of play in the Big 10 after being in this conference for almost a decade.


Didn’t you know our 2009 defense was so great because of the offense scoring so much they short circuited the scoreboard?

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lol- muschamp?  Unless he's canned, how realistic is it to say he'd be a great DC replacement when he's already a HC in the SEC lol.  If we're playing that game I'll take Vic Fangio, I'm sure he'll totally leave an NFL HC position to be DC at a school he has zero affiliation with

 

The assumption about Muschamp is of course that he'd be canned. Nobody here thinks he comes here if South Carolina opts to give him more time. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Undone said:

 

And we're 92nd, after playing what was touted as being one of our weakest schedules in years.

Is there a metric out there that measures strength of schedule after the season? I'd definitely be interested in that. We thought Ohio State was beatable in our house, didn't think Minnesota would be who they are, and Indiana being better.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Is there a metric out there that measures strength of schedule after the season? I'd definitely be interested in that. We thought Ohio State was beatable in our house, didn't think Minnesota would be who they are, and Indiana being better.


The one I look at shows we are currently 66th in SOS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Is there a metric out there that measures strength of schedule after the season? I'd definitely be interested in that. We thought Ohio State was beatable in our house, didn't think Minnesota would be who they are, and Indiana being better.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:


The one I look at shows we are currently 66th in SOS

 

Per Sagarin, Nebraska is showing a current strength of schedule that is ranked 39th. 

 

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/2019/team/

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 2:53 PM, knapplc said:

 

This is pretty crazy, actually.

 

Chin's defense is either ON or OFF. It's the 10-or-20 defense.

 

Four times he's held teams to ten or less.

 

Every Other Game he's given up 20 or more (21 or more, technically).

 

I know it's only been 22 games so far, but it's weird that he's never held an opponent between in the 11-20 point range.

 

That's it. I'm calling it - we beat Maryland 27-17 this week.

 

Chin is due.

 

 

 

Just about pitched a shutout, but the backups gave up a TD.

 

Still - a Chinander defense hasn't finished a game giving up a score in the teens. Weird.

  • Plus1 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

Still - a Chinander defense hasn't finished a game giving up a score in the teens. Weird.

Weird?  

I believe he has held a grand total of 5 teams to 10 and under. 

 

2019 Northwestern, Maryland, No Illinois

2018 Bethune Cookman, MSU in a snowstorm

 

Looks like his defense has allowed few points to offenses that score very few points. 

 

In 23 games, no opponent has scored between 11-19 points. Doesn’t feel like an unreal statistical anomaly given the sample size. 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 12:01 PM, Boy of the Corn said:

For those who don't think Chinander is getting it done, who would you take?

 

Muschamp?

 

 

Right now I'm thinking Ryan Shamrock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where did the people go who were insisting Chins defense was going to end up as bad as last years? The argument as I recall was Wisconsin/Maryland/Iowa were going to score enough on us that there wouldn't be any measurable progress this year, and yet:

 

2017: 36.4 (Diaco)

2018: 31.3

2019: 27.8

 

Unless Iowa goes for 70, that's improvement. Unless they go for 50+, that's significant improvement. Give him another year at least, especially with the younger guys coming up.

 

  • Plus1 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

So where did the people go who were insisting Chins defense was going to end up as bad as last years? The argument as I recall was Wisconsin/Maryland/Iowa were going to score enough on us that there wouldn't be any measurable progress this year, and yet:

 

2017: 36.4 (Diaco)

2018: 31.3

2019: 27.8

 

Unless Iowa goes for 70, that's improvement. Unless they go for 50+, that's significant improvement. Give him another year at least, especially with the younger guys coming up.

 

We don't give coaches time. It's either fix it now or your fired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

We don't give coaches time. It's either fix it now or your fired.

 

And it's obviously always worked for us so let's keep doing it 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offense looks good if they can finish the drives, or get some kind points on the board. Not really worried about where they are headed. What I watched against a very good Wis D, was impressive. 

The defense is still maybe a couple years away. Maryland used everybody, but the waterboy at QB. Yeah it was nice to see the backups get playing time, but it was Maryland. 

Chin need's a couple of more recruiting classes, unless next year is as bad as this year. I hope he can turn it around. It would be nice to keep a staff around that really seems to be growing together.

 

GBR!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

The offense looks good if they can finish the drives, or get some kind points on the board. Not really worried about where they are headed. What I watched against a very good Wis D, was impressive. 

The defense is still maybe a couple years away. Maryland used everybody, but the waterboy at QB. Yeah it was nice to see the backups get playing time, but it was Maryland. 

Chin need's a couple of more recruiting classes, unless next year is as bad as this year. I hope he can turn it around. It would be nice to keep a staff around that really seems to be growing together.

 

GBR!!!

We have seen statistical improvement so far so as long as it continues next year, we should be liking where things are headed.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...