What if we BEAT Maryland?

On 11/20/2019 at 11:00 AM, KCBuc said:

NU lost to stinking Purdue with a 3rd string QB. Let that sink in. It’s messed up.  The defense blows dead tuna. I can see the MD Qb running around  crazy on Chinander’s no pressure D and hitting big pass plays. Iowa will beat NU unless there is a whole sale change in defensive philosophy. Attacking verse whatever it is they are doing to get pressure. Thinking about puppies, kittens, and magical red unicorns will not change what this team is. They find ways to implode.(bad play calling, bad passes, special team hell, random bad snaps, no pressure defense, bad tackling...) If you put some skin in the game (gamble), your take would change. We all want NU to win but they are what their record is. Bad. 

Id be curious what your recommendation for “whole sale change” in defensive philosophy is.

1 hour ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

Id be curious what your recommendation for “whole sale change” in defensive philosophy is.

in context I was speaking about the Iowa game. What they are doing, isn’t working. 
Coach them to wrap up and actually tackle would be a huge change. Yes, they can be coached that. 

setting the edge-Terrible all year

get a pass rush- crappy all year

cover a player in motion- been burned by that too many times. 

can NU attack? When’s it’s 3rd and forever. Put the corners in man. Force a quick throw. When I think about 3-4, I think Blitzburg. Capers. Kevin Steele. Attack, attack, attack. Blitzing the A and B gap with linebackers. If you say we don’t have the people to run it effectively, find a defense that NU can be at least mediocre. I’m sick of the 3rd and 15 type of situation being completed. No more 3rd and Chinander. NUs blitzes seem like they are measured by a sun dial. If your not going to bring heat, why play the 3-4? The guards are killing the lbs in the run game. 
i doubt Frost lets his buddy go. I hope for some analysts to be brought in to help him. On offense, I see what Frost wants to do. On defense, I am going WTF? Cosgrove part 2. 

1 hour ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

Put in a fourth D lineman and pressure the opponent’s backfield.

Make definite pass coverage assignments so our LBs aren’t getting lured out of position. 

Stunt

Cover close and go for the pick when possible.

DTs put a hand on the runner, get your hands up for passes.

DEs stay home and guard your end.

MLB shed your damn block

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Make definite pass coverage assignments so our LBs aren’t getting lured out of position. 

Stunt

MLB shed your damn block

I am totally with you on the bolded part.

1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

in context I was speaking about the Iowa game. What they are doing, isn’t working. 
Coach them to wrap up and actually tackle would be a huge change. Yes, they can be coached that. 

setting the edge-Terrible all year

get a pass rush- crappy all year

cover a player in motion- been burned by that too many times. 

can NU attack? When’s it’s 3rd and forever. Put the corners in man. Force a quick throw. When I think about 3-4, I think Blitzburg. Capers. Kevin Steele. Attack, attack, attack. Blitzing the A and B gap with linebackers. If you say we don’t have the people to run it effectively, find a defense that NU can be at least mediocre. I’m sick of the 3rd and 15 type of situation being completed. No more 3rd and Chinander. NUs blitzes seem like they are measured by a sun dial. If your not going to bring heat, why play the 3-4? The guards are killing the lbs in the run game. 
i doubt Frost lets his buddy go. I hope for some analysts to be brought in to help him. On offense, I see what Frost wants to do. On defense, I am going WTF? Cosgrove part 2. 

So you’re of the opinion they aren’t coached to wrap up and tackle? Keep in mind, if you can see it *whispers behind hand* the coaches can see it too. It’s absolutely ridiculous to believe you can see something so basic that the coaches can’t. 

“Setting the edge”

Not sure what this means, but it’s fun to listen to someone talk about it and believe (s)he knows football. I’m not recalling a game where our outside contain got hammered all game long. Could you point to instances this weekend or in previous weeks where we got hammered on the outside? Who is responsible for “the edge?” What I see is a group of linebackers who simply have zero clue what their fit is from snap to snap. 

We don’t have the people to run it at all. That we agree on. Where we disagree is that we should be running something different than what we want to run long term. 

Overall, I’m not really sure there’s much in your post. 

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

Stunt

MLB shed your damn block

What are you even talking about? This is nonsense 

• Plus1 3
12 hours ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

So you’re of the opinion they aren’t coached to wrap up and tackle? Keep in mind, if you can see it *whispers behind hand* the coaches can see it too. It’s absolutely ridiculous to believe you can see something so basic that the coaches can’t. 

“Setting the edge”

Not sure what this means, but it’s fun to listen to someone talk about it and believe (s)he knows football. I’m not recalling a game where our outside contain got hammered all game long. Could you point to instances this weekend or in previous weeks where we got hammered on the outside? Who is responsible for “the edge?” What I see is a group of linebackers who simply have zero clue what their fit is from snap to snap. 

We don’t have the people to run it at all. That we agree on. Where we disagree is that we should be running something different than what we want to run long term. 

The problem is everyone can see they cant tackle.  Its Chinander's job to fix it. Watch NW tackle compared to NU. Maybe they are teaching it, but they arent good at teaching it then. 22:51 is a perfect example of bad tackling.

Watch Wisconsin run the end around for 10 yards. Watch Indiana outflank NU.

Here is a link to NW game. 8:19 and 27:10 (great hit at the end).  Someone has to be responsible for the outside.  20:29 the edge has their ankles broken. 35:34.

As I said before, the context is for the Iowa game and not a long term solution. They cant set the edge and then have no one to fill behind it.  The NW cutback killed NU. . I haven't watched Iowa all year, but in the past, they used cutbacks and end arounds. You may believe NU will beat Iowa. I dont think it happens if NU doesn't fix this stuff. Depending on the spread, I'll  be betting Iowa. I didnt think there was much to your post either.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

Agreed.

Besides, we don't have the personnel to run anything different right now either.

15 hours ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

“Setting the edge”

You must not watch us play Wisconsin. We can't set the edge or stop the jet sweep to save our soul. However, this is an issue which goes back to Pelini.  

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Stunt

MLB shed your damn block

So basically do a whole bunch of things I’m sure the coaches have been trying to get the players to do all year. Somehow magically in game 11...?

On 11/20/2019 at 4:47 PM, Scarlet said:

I have a hunch it's the old geezerlies that actually have the guts to hang in there and keep the faith.  It's the youngin's that quit.  I see it everyday at work.  And everyday here.  Just look up. 

The “geezers” are the only reason this program was ever relevant. 

• Plus1 1

Maybe, just maybe I'm one of the geezers.  I'm 44, and I attended UNL during the glory years (93-96).  I have never been to a game in which we lost starting in the mid-80's.  The last game I attended was in 03' against Texas A&M when we throttled the Franchione led Aggies.  I will be in attendance for the Iowa game the day after Thanks Giving.  If we beat Maryland, I fully expect my streak to stay intact and for us to go bowling.  Once upon a time, I competed against Frost.  I've followed him throughout his career.  In Frost, I trust.  Everyone just needs to learn to relax.  Rome wasn't built in a day. 

• Plus1 1