What Did We Learn - Maryland

Mavric

Just now, DefenderAO said:

Coach Verdu coaching a grad transfer Milton, wearing N, would be nice to evaluate. 

Meh, I don't think that's a good decision.  I know Milton was great at UCF, but NU shouldn't be bringing a guy for one year.  All that is going to do is stunt the growth of the young QB's on the roster.  Plus, Milton hasn't played in over a year, and would be trying to overcome a major injury.

• Plus1 6

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Meh, I don't think that's a good decision.  I know Milton was great at UCF, but NU shouldn't be bringing a guy for one year.  All that is going to do is stunt the growth of the young QB's on the roster.  Plus, Milton hasn't played in over a year, and would be trying to overcome a major injury.

How is that different than continuing to ride Adrian when there is competency behind him?  You mean stunt Adrian’s growth? If Milton comes in and is better, why not? It gives Luke another year and Adrian can study more. Then those two duke it out the following year. The best QB should play.  

• Haha 1
Just now, DefenderAO said:

How is that different than continuing to ride Adrian when there is competency behind him?  You mean stunt Adrian’s growth? If Milton comes in and is better, why not? It gives Luke another year and Adrian can study more. Then those two duke it out the following year. The best QB should play.  

We have very good talent right in the QB room and more coming.  I'm not in favor of bringing in Milton and possibly ruining that.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Why not let Adrian, Luke, and Logan Smothers duke it out for the QB job next year, and work on growing the program for the long-run.

• Plus1 2

One thing that is never brought up in Adrian's role this year, is a lack of a Stanley Morgan to throw to.  You don't lose a 1000 yard receiver, and not have anyone to replace him, and expect the QB to put up similar numbers.

Morgan covered up a lot of deficiencies in the offense last year, with his ability to get open, and block on the perimeter.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Why not let Adrian, Luke, and Logan Smothers duke it out for the QB job next year, and work on growing the program for the long-run.

Many are concerned there isn’t a competition. Scott clearly has his favorite. I’d like to bring in another favorite in Milton ; at least shake the thought to lock in on any particular player and play the best player. There have been so many moments this year the offense has looked bad and zero change to QB to try and spark something. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DefenderAO said:

Many are concerned there isn’t a competition. Scott clearly has his favorite. I’d like to bring in another favorite in Milton ; at least shake the thought to lock in on any particular player and play the best player. There have been so many moments this year the offense has looked bad and zero change to QB to try and spark something. 

If there wasn't a competition, there would've been rumblings of that from Spring and Fall camp. There are always fans who want the backup, but people close to the team hear about it if players feel like it should be the backup.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Husker in WI said:

If there wasn't a competition, there would've been rumblings of that from Spring and Fall camp. There are always fans who want the backup, but people close to the team hear about it if players feel like it should be the backup.

Sure; then is Adrian is the best we have, full circle - let’s bring in another who has shown competency in this system. If Jr Adrian emerges at the top, then he was hopefully pushed by the best group of kids possible. 

Adrian’s regression in decisiveness should be a concern. Trend? Anomaly? The folks bought in to ride him out (not necessarily all in this discussion) is perplexing. 

7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

You are right, there is not a competition, anymore.  AM is so clearly the best QB on the team.  Now, who knows with another off season but right now it is not even close.

Also, a lot of people like to say "they quit"...well Maryland quit.  After a few bad breaks in that game and some QB's getting hurt, that team wanted no part of that game.  I felt bad for them at times.

• Fire 1
10 minutes ago, roadrat said:

What did we learn? That a game like this frustrates the hell out of me. Had the Huskers played for each other all season long the way they did Saturday we would have 7 or 8 wins. 

I don't disagree, and the progression has been slower than we like.  NU has had opportunities to bust games open against CU, Indiana, and Purdue, and they didn't do that.  NU did that on Saturday.  Getting to the point that NU has 6, 7, or 8 "big" wins and then having a fewer number of close games is where NU wants to be.  That's where Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Penn State are.