Your 2020 Nebraska Cornhuskers

BIG ERN

1 hour ago, Undone said:

I can't remember. Hopefully somebody else will.

I was mistaken, it was the regular starters.

Rewatching the game quick it was probably 60/40 the O line and Mills. He had some great lanes to run through, then got a lot of YAC when he got to the second level. Martinez even had some nice holes, and decent pass pro most of the game. Seems like Wiscy spied Martinez and had a lot of 3 man rushes (one got a sack in the 1st quarter), but even when they had 4 down upfront we were still getting positive yards.

3 plays are all that killed us. A kick return for TD, tip pick, and not scoring on our very last possession.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Rewatching the game quick it was probably 60/40 the O line and Mills. He had some great lanes to run through, then got a lot of YAC when he got to the second level. Martinez even had some nice holes, and decent pass pro most of the game. Seems like Wiscy spied Martinez and had a lot of 3 man rushes (one got a sack in the 1st quarter), but even when they had 4 down upfront we were still getting positive yards.

3 plays are all that killed us. A kick return for TD, tip pick, and not scoring on our very last possession.

There were a couple 4th downs we didn't convert as well (one might have been that last possession), but yeah - a couple plays really turned that game. And not having a kicker didn't help.

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That sums up that game to a tee.  We beat them the rest of the game.  

Honestly, we need to prove we can beat Wisconsin.  I'm not down playing that at all.  They have owned us since we joined the conference. However, I totally believe we can turn the tables on them (and Iowa).  If we keep improving, we will win our share of games against them and that will then build confidence in the program when we play them and help recruiting.

We just need to get over that hump.

One of the worst things that happened to us was the win in 2012 only to then turn around and play them again in the CFG and get our a$$ kicked.  That win could have built up some type of confidence over the off season....only to have it crushed in the CFG.

We will get there.  I'm confident.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Good stuff.

That game inspired some extra confidence in Greg Austin & Ryan Held for me. It seemed like quite a few of the guys had been taking to their coaching down that stretch of the season and a lot of offensive execution came together in that game.

My gut instincts on this season to be honest is that we're still kind of in this no man's land where we're in between some players that are serviceable but not quite up to snuff and then having a slew of young guys that (on paper at least) are extremely talented but maybe not quite physically ready yet.

Trying to stay positive about the young bucks coming up as well as what Duvall seems to be doing in the weight room.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

There were a couple 4th downs we didn't convert as well (one might have been that last possession), but yeah - a couple plays really turned that game. And not having a kicker didn't help.

The offense played well against Wisconsin. Moved the ball very well, and Frost called a good game from a play-calling standpoint. There were a number of 3rd and 6 or 7’s where he ran outside zone with Mills to get first downs. That game came down to a missed FG in the 3rd quarter which had the offense chasing TD’s in the 4th and NU’s inability to stop the run. Wisconsin did what they wanted to running the ball. 

• Plus1 3