The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, Archy1221 said:

I haven’t see anyone dispute any of that.  The question posed was do we continue with this social distancing/mask wearing every fall and winter since it clearly affects flu season and saving anywhere from 30,000-60,000 US lives every year.  How many lives saved is the threshold to implement these procedures?  
Just mask wearing? Just social distancing? Go back to normal?  

It will go back to normal, if you see someone wearing a mask, say 5 years from now, when it is flu season, you will look at them like they are nuts.  It will just be like it was 2 years ago.  I think we all know that.

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I haven’t see anyone dispute any of that.  The question posed was do we continue with this social distancing/mask wearing every fall and winter since it clearly affects flu season and saving anywhere from 30,000-60,000 US lives every year.  How many lives saved is the threshold to implement these procedures?  
Just mask wearing? Just social distancing? Go back to normal?  

Oh God yes, get things back to normal. I'm not putting up with this sh#t for a measly 30k deaths. That is not a number that overloads our healthcare system. Unfortunately 500k is. If I get sick or need anything done at a hospital, I want to be able to receive treatment. And that's it. I could give a FF about the number of people that die. But keeping our hospitals functional is important.

Just now, JJ Husker said:

Oh God yes, get things back to normal. I'm not putting up with this sh#t for a measly 30k deaths. That is not a number that overloads our healthcare system. Unfortunately 500k is. If I get sick or need anything done at a hospital, I want to be able to receive treatment. And that's it. I could give a FF about the number of people that die. But keeping our hospitals functional is important.

My god, we are literally the same person!  Totally my thoughts.

One thing I would keep is my desk and podium shield...I just sort of like them!  I feel safe!

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think another reason they are down, is that no one is running to their doctor if they have the flu right now, so it is not being recorded.  I bet doc/hospital visits for anything other than Covid are at an all time low right now.  

This is also a good point. Sadly a lot of people are not getting the medical care they need. I saw a deal on the news just last night that women are avoiding getting mammograms because of Covid and it is causing much worse numbers and outcomes with breast cancer.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

This is also a good point. Sadly a lot of people are not getting the medical care they need. I saw a deal on the news just last night that women are avoiding getting mammograms because of Covid and it is causing much worse numbers and outcomes with breast cancer.

Okay, so on a related a note...a few years ago I had a Halloween party and I was a mammogram machine.

This is not me (I look a bit more like Denzel Washington) but this is what it looked like

image.png.bc95cdac4d835800daf5e6e8211536b9.png

• Haha 4

Betting if you asked anyone in America 12 months ago how many people died yearly of the flu, the vast majority would have guessed way under the real number. 

Here's the 2019 breakdown. Throw COVID into the mix and it's a strong #3, just a few ticks behind cancer. Nearly 3x the number of deaths from accidents, including car accidents, and exponentially more than the combination of influenza and pneumonia fatalities.

Only two causes of death are communicable, and in 2020, COVD will be the only cause on that list didn't exist the year before.  

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 6.52.18 PM.png

• Plus1 1

My wife and I got the 2nd Pfizer shot on Tuesday.  Weds we were both sore throughout our body (she has fibromyalgia  so that tends to make the pain feel worse).  I was a bit

'flushed' in the afternoon.   Today, Thursday, all is good- shot arm still a bit sore.   We are just glad to have these small steps towards normalcy behind us. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would have guessed that less than 100 people died from the flu each year.  I really would have. 

You wouldn't be alone.  I was shocked to see the 30,000 - 70,000 numbers. Nobody I know seriously fretted about getting the flu.

Just guessing here, but I think when already compromised people -- especially the elderly -- get what should be a simple case of the flu, it often turns into pneumonia and that's when the most vulnerable die.  That must be why they attach pneumonia to the influenza stats, and I think it's the same with COVID. There were a lot of deaths in March/April attributed to pneumonia, but they wouldn't have happened without COVID. Same with the flu. 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Okay, so on a related a note...a few years ago I had a Halloween party and I was a mammogram machine.

This is not me (I look a bit more like Denzel Washington) but this is what it looked like

image.png.bc95cdac4d835800daf5e6e8211536b9.png

I think that's my eye doctor.  He literally got busted a few years ago for offering free mammograms with an eye exam.

Choices.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You wouldn't be alone.  I was shocked to see the 30,000 - 70,000 numbers. Nobody I know seriously fretted about getting the flu.

Just guessing here, but I think when already compromised people -- especially the elderly -- get what should be a simple case of the flu, it often turns into pneumonia and that's when the most vulnerable die.  That must be why they attach pneumonia to the influenza stats, and I think it's the same with COVID. There were a lot of deaths in March/April attributed to pneumonia, but they wouldn't have happened without COVID. Same with the flu. 

I did not know they attached pneumonia to those stats!

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

No way...

This makes me think that masks need to be face shields and not masks.  

I actually have a pretty badass shield one at school, it is set on glasses.  

The first two days I was like "Man, this f#&%ing thing is FOGGY" and my boss goes "Did you take off the plastic cover on the front and the back"

I said "I did not, I am a moron". 

Boss replied "Yeah, took me a day to figure it out too"

• Haha 1