The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Maybe now my prayers about winning the lottery will come true!

If God has a sense of humor he'd answer the prayers of all Powerball players.  They'd win the jackpot, but have to split it with millions of people!!!

7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If God has a sense of humor he'd answer the prayers of all Powerball players.  They'd win the jackpot, but have to split it with millions of people!!!

f#&% YOU!  Ha

I never thought of it that way!  Hahaha

Please know I am just joking about the FU!  

15 hours ago, mrandyk said:

This whole pandemic seems way overblown to me. The virus has permeated the population much more than we suspect and the precautions in place are doing little to protect the vulnerable that they couldn't just do on their own. Just look at how every public space is crowded, the number of asymptomatic rich people who tested positive, and all the states that seem to be just fine despite taking little action. I feel like we could start opening back up now and not see any drastic results.

Too bad we can't prove my thoughts without widespread testing. Even if test kits were available I'm sure a multitude of idiotic reasons would keep them away from those who need them, because America.

Now someone please give me reason to question these beliefs. I'm struggling to get on board with everything at the moment.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox5ny.com/news/trucks-for-bodies-line-brooklyn-pier-as-funeral-homes-remain-overwhelmed.amp 

If a situation requires a city to use 27 refrigerator trucks to hold dead bodies... things probably aren’t overblown. 

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, mrandyk said:

The virus has permeated the population much more than we suspect and the precautions in place are doing little to protect the vulnerable that they couldn't just do on their own.

While your first point may be true, although we still don't know this because we can't test, the second part is very much false.  Why do you think we've been able to "flatten" the curve thus far?  Answer:  The precautions in place.

• Plus1 4

16 hours ago, mrandyk said:

This whole pandemic seems way overblown to me. The virus has permeated the population much more than we suspect and the precautions in place are doing little to protect the vulnerable that they couldn't just do on their own. Just look at how every public space is crowded, the number of asymptomatic rich people who tested positive, and all the states that seem to be just fine despite taking little action. I feel like we could start opening back up now and not see any drastic results.

Too bad we can't prove my thoughts without widespread testing. Even if test kits were available I'm sure a multitude of idiotic reasons would keep them away from those who need them, because America.

Now someone please give me reason to question these beliefs. I'm struggling to get on board with everything at the moment.

Just fine?  It's possible that the strain of the virus in NY and NJ is more deadly or more contagious than the strain in the rest of the country.  That has been thrown out there as a possible reason for what you say here.

Now....should we just have allowed all those people from NY and NJ to travel all over the country at free will contaminating the rest of the country with that strain before they could get it under control?

And...if this is the case, how would the experts know that 6 weeks ago?

Knowing what you know now about how NY and NJ have ended up, what would have you done differently if you were mayor or governor of those areas?

Trump's a really simple guy. He understands numbers. His reelection strategy is built on good economic numbers. The coronavirus has hurt those economic numbers. Trump just wants to get the numbers back.

So you reopen the economy and readjust the death numbers. 135,000 deaths by August is now the acceptable number, and you can't blame Trump because he already warned you. And if you need to blame someone: China. 

There is tons of nuance to the coronavirus, and we are a country that hates nuance.

Apparently a lot of things can be done pretty safely -- shopping, small group and short-term socializing, outdoor exercise and recreation. But some things are proven spreaders. Big indoor events, obviously. Restaurants remain really problematic. Public restrooms. Any populated office space with recirculating air. The absolute worst is a meatpacking plant, where lots of people work shoulder to shoulder and have to yell at each other because the place is so loud. 

There has to be some reopening. If the virus is ultimately unavoidable, it makes sense to move forward in waves that flatten the curve and won't overwhelm health care or the economy. But the jump to business-as-usual suggests we haven't learned a f#&%ing thing.

And because we hate nuance and have become zero sum partisans, we're now politicizing the facemask itself. 

Facemask = cowardly Trump-hater.  No Facemask = freedom loving patriot. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Trump's a really simple guy. He understands numbers. His reelection strategy is built on good economic numbers. The coronavirus has hurt those economic numbers. Trump just wants to get the numbers back.

So you reopen the economy and readjust the death numbers. 135,000 deaths by August is now the acceptable number, and you can't blame Trump because he already warned you. And if you need to blame someone: China. 

There is tons of nuance to the coronavirus, and we are a country that hates nuance.

Apparently a lot of things can be done pretty safely -- shopping, small group and short-term socializing, outdoor exercise and recreation. But some things are proven spreaders. Big indoor events, obviously. Restaurants remain really problematic. Public restrooms. Any populated office space with recirculating air. The absolute worst is a meatpacking plant, where lots of people work shoulder to shoulder and have to yell at each other because the place is so loud. 

There has to be some reopening. If the virus is ultimately unavoidable, it makes sense to move forward in waves that flatten the curve and won't overwhelm health care or the economy. But the jump to business-as-usual suggests we haven't learned a f#&%ing thing.

And because we hate nuance and have become zero sum partisans, we're now politicizing the facemask itself. 

Facemask = cowardly Trump-hater.  No Facemask = freedom loving patriot. 

great summation...well said :clap