The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 minutes ago, nic said:

What is US at? 73% fully vaccinated? Plus all those folks that won't get vaccinated because they had it already. Below is an article from CNN discussing this topic. I am gonna be optimistic and say omicron will usher in the end of the pandemic and we can put this thread out to pasture. :horns2

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/omicron-variant-coronavirus-news-12-22-21-intl/h_1f5455659b28ab31299cd991544d8e32

Currently the US is at 62% fully vaccinated. Herd immunity estimated at 70-85%, which given current trends we will cross 70% in March and 85% in September. Obviously that's a really rough prediction as it doesn't count the people who will never get vaccinated but it also doesn't count natural immunity.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state

OK, I hadn't looked at Worldometer for a long time.  But, I went to look at it for this reason.  

Look at the daily cases graph.  Starting in November, the number of cases clearly started to go back up at a pretty normal rate for another spike.

Now, look at the daily deaths graph.  It bumps up a little in November, but stays much flatter than the daily cases.

To me, being the expert that I am, this tells me that people shouldn't be freaking out about the daily cases going up due to Omicron.  I just don't get why I keep seeing some people all concerned and that we need to start shutting down cities again....bla bla bla....

You have Chicago and other cities cranking down again right before the holidays.  I prefer the path Lincoln went and think it's more logical and based on fact.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, I hadn't looked at Worldometer for a long time.  But, I went to look at it for this reason.  

Look at the daily cases graph.  Starting in November, the number of cases clearly started to go back up at a pretty normal rate for another spike.

Now, look at the daily deaths graph.  It bumps up a little in November, but stays much flatter than the daily cases.

To me, being the expert that I am, this tells me that people shouldn't be freaking out about the daily cases going up due to Omicron.  I just don't get why I keep seeing some people all concerned and that we need to start shutting down cities again....bla bla bla....

You have Chicago and other cities cranking down again right before the holidays.  I prefer the path Lincoln went and think it's more logical and based on fact.

We had it right early on.  The metric should be hospitalizations so that we can limit pressure on the medical infrastructure.  That doesn't mean we wait until hospitalizations explode, but I think we should be looking at 1st and 2nd order extrapolations of hospital admissions and react to that.  I think locally we'll figure that out, but yes case numbers appear to be a bit outdated as a primary metric, given our circumstances.

7 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I get the fatigue. I've read numerous articles about omicron. The one thing they know is it spreads like wildfire. One expert even went as far as to say "We all have a date with Omicron". Talked it over with my wife. We have two littles that can't be vaxxed, they still go to daycare because we still have to go to work. So what the hell are we suppose to do, skip Christmas with family we haven't seen in 2 years? Skip having a beer with buddies I haven't seen in two years? For what? Just to get Omicron one week later from daycare or the hospital we work at? I understood the mitigation tactics early on, but the cat is out of the bag now. 

Same here.  I teach in a crowded middle school and my wife is a nurse.

I’m probably more likely to pick it up at work than at the quiet bar with 5 of my friends who’ve all had boosters.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, teachercd said:

I did not know that about NZ but I do remember people pointing out how amazing of a job they were doing and how it was the model for everyone to follow.

If people want to stay inside and hide, that is fine with me.  

I’m all about staying inside and hiding with my wife.  That is,  until I want to hide “from” my wife.

Too many walks around the block…

• Haha 2
38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In past spikes, hopitalizations trailed cases by 2-3 weeks and deaths trailed 1-2 weeks after hospitalizations. The current spike started around Nov 16, so the hospitalizations should have started rising around beginning of Dec and the deaths around last week.

I don't see hosptialization numbers on that site, but deaths have recently started to trend upward. Doesn't look like much rise but there isn't really enough data to say yet. And that uncertainty is probably why you're seeing cities starting to take action. And most of those cities have been hit hard and early by past covid spikes, so it makes sense they're more likely to react sooner than a place like Omaha that tend to see covid spikes get there later. And the holidays last year were particularly bad for some of those cities. I'm not sure if their reactions are appropriate or too much but it's understandable given the last 2 years.

• Plus1 2