The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....a big surprise happened.

I have an employee who is an extreme MAGA head.  I would not be surprised if she wasn't a believer in Qanon.  It's that bad.  When Biden was inaugurated, she was literally freaked out that day because she thought bombs were going to start falling.

Well....she also believes all the fake news about vaccines.  She was adamant that she would NEVER get vaccinated because she likes her DNA the way it is....bla bra bla.....

So....now I find out she's getting vaccinated tomorrow.  The turning point?  Her MIL was in the hospital with it and almost died.  The Drs said she would have died if she wasn't vaccinated.

But...here's the kicker.  I'm told she absolutely doesn't want anyone to know she's vaccinated because she doesn't want to hear the "backlash" she's expecting from everyone around her.

:clap:facepalm:

The only thing worse than ignorance is intentional, willful ignorance. It takes a “special” to not be willing to admit that maybe, just maybe, they were wrong. The kicker is, she’ll probably continue advocating against the vaccine and keep perpetuating all the BS about it that Magaheads are so good at spouting.

You should throw her a birthday like party at work for getting vaxxed. Make a big deal of it, cake, the whole shooting match :lol:

• Plus1 2

On a side note. My healthcare provider/insurance company, Kaiser Permanente, today sent me an email update on Omicron, Covid, getting vaxxed etc. as they have been doing regularly throughout. Only this time they basically said that the J&J vaccine is next to useless. They are encouraging anyone who had received J&J vaccine to get in there quick to receive a mRNA vac from Moderna or Pfizer. At the end they conceded that the J&J is better than nothing but for the majority of the letter they said it would barely provide any protection from omicron. So FYI…

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The only thing worse than ignorance is intentional, willful ignorance. It takes a “special” to not be willing to admit that maybe, just maybe, they were wrong. The kicker is, she’ll probably continue advocating against the vaccine and keep perpetuating all the BS about it that Magaheads are so good at spouting.

You should throw her a birthday like party at work for getting vaxxed. Make a big deal of it, cake, the whole shooting match :lol:

She’s getting vaxxed. That’s enough for me. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

On a side note. My healthcare provider/insurance company, Kaiser Permanente, today sent me an email update on Omicron, Covid, getting vaxxed etc. as they have been doing regularly throughout. Only this time they basically said that the J&J vaccine is next to useless. They are encouraging anyone who had received J&J vaccine to get in there quick to receive a mRNA vac from Moderna or Pfizer. At the end they conceded that the J&J is better than nothing but for the majority of the letter they said it would barely provide any protection from omicron. So FYI…

What about J&J along with the Pfizer booster?

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I'd count the Pfizer as the second shot, and still get a booster ... but check with your doctor, I'm not sure what protocols would allow, but I'd not feel comfortable with just the two.

Yes, they were also pushing strongly for the 3rd dose/booster.

I got my 3rd full dose of Moderna about a week ago. I’m immune compromised so I qualified for the full dose instead of the half dose booster. Good news is, it didn’t bother me at all this time. I got about half sick for a day after the first two and I had Covid before getting vaxxed. Guessing I have pretty decent immunity finally, based on this last shot not affecting me.

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

In past spikes, hopitalizations trailed cases by 2-3 weeks and deaths trailed 1-2 weeks after hospitalizations. The current spike started around Nov 16, so the hospitalizations should have started rising around beginning of Dec and the deaths around last week.

I don't see hosptialization numbers on that site, but deaths have recently started to trend upward. Doesn't look like much rise but there isn't really enough data to say yet. And that uncertainty is probably why you're seeing cities starting to take action. And most of those cities have been hit hard and early by past covid spikes, so it makes sense they're more likely to react sooner than a place like Omaha that tend to see covid spikes get there later. And the holidays last year were particularly bad for some of those cities. I'm not sure if their reactions are appropriate or too much but it's understandable given the last 2 years.

The bolded is incorrect.  If you look at the graph in the link I posted, the deaths had a very slight bump up in November, but have been fairly flat since.  In fact, if anything the peak was two weeks ago when there was one day of 2,000. Under the graph, you can click on "3-Day moving average" or "7-day moving average".  The 7-day shows it pretty well that the trend has flattened out.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The bolded is incorrect.  If you look at the graph in the link I posted, the deaths had a very slight bump up in November, but have been fairly flat since.  In fact, if anything the peak was two weeks ago when there was one day of 2,000. Under the graph, you can click on "3-Day moving average" or "7-day moving average".  The 7-day shows it pretty well that the trend has flattened out.

We can quibble about "trend upward" if you want, but what I posted was correct. Deaths recently went up but there isn't enough data to establish a long-term trend. If you look at past spikes, the deaths didn't make a smooth upward trend and even decreased before resuming upward to the peak. So while the 7-day average is encouraging, we don't know if the deaths have peaked or will continue upward yet.

7 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We can quibble about "trend upward" if you want, but what I posted was correct. Deaths recently went up but there isn't enough data to establish a long-term trend. If you look at past spikes, the deaths didn't make a smooth upward trend and even decreased before resuming upward to the peak. So while the 7-day average is encouraging, we don't know if the deaths have peaked or will continue upward yet.

You said that it's starting to trend upwards and that's what I said is incorrect.  You then say that you WERE correct, but then contradict yourself in the same post.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, I found Jen's tweet funny.  You know she's trolling MAGA heads.

On the flip side.....if Trump says this and he's always claimed his administration did such a great job helping get the vaccine developed...bla bla bla.....Why does Fox News and MAGA heads preach to NOT get it?

My only guess to your question is because it became a topic to argue about?  Like, it was the new abortion or death penalty?  

I don't know, I really don't.  I find it hard to argue with anyone who has the stance of..."Get the vax, but don't make it mandatory because people should have their freedom BUT please get vaxxed". To me that seems like people what a lot of pro-choice people would agree with,  Have the option there, but "I would never get an abortion" type thing.  

My own thoughts.  Totally fine with getting vaxxed, I would also be totally fine with being forced to get vaxxed.  I am also pro choice when it comes to what people want to do to their body.  So I suppose I am all over the place.  Which is fine because I am normal and normal people do that.

With all of that said, I don't think most American people have any f#&%ing clue what the word "freedom" really means.

But, this clip does make me think that Trump is going to run again.

I also just realized I did not answer any of your question at all but I was bored and felt like typing this out instead of working on s#!t for next semester.  

• Plus1 2