Will There Be a 2020 Football Season?

Chances of a 2020 season?   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Chances of a 2020 season?

• Full 12 Game Schedule
    • Shortened Season
    • No Games Played

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2020 at 06:09 PM

11 minutes ago, nic said:

“Right now this sits only with the PAC-12 conference players and some who have shared the article on social media have already been dismissed from their teams. Theo Lawson reports that: “

Am told multiple other #WSU players who shared the "#WeAreUnited" graphics have been released from the team, as well.

9E_r6Ifw_normal.jpg
Theo Lawson

@TheoLawson_SR
I just got off the phone with John Woods, the father of #WSU WR Kassidy Woods, who says Kassidy was told to clean out his locker tomorrow. Woods is technically still on scholarship, but was "released" from the team yesterday, his father says.

I'm confused.  Are these the players that made the PAC-12 player demands?

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm confused.  Are these the players that made the PAC-12 player demands?

Yes players. They have asked players from other conferences to join them. I think this list was already posted. Sorry if it’s a repeat.

From Maizenbrew:

“The players come with some earth-shattering demands that are sure to have the NCAA and its conference concerned. Rightfully so, the top priority for these student-athletes is the “Health and Safety Protections” they wish to be put in place due to the coronavirus. PAC-12 players insist that they have the option to opt-out without losing scholarship or position on a team, and prohibit universities from forcing waivers that waive liability. Another command is that a third-party sets the standards for the COVID-19 protocols to avoid any bias towards either side. 

Next up is a biggie, and that is guaranteeing the protection of all sports enabled by universities. Cuts of athletic programs have been made by some of the most prolific institutions in the country including Stanford and the University of Cincinnati. The PAC-12 player cited Stanford’s cuts while the institution sits on “their $27.7 billion endowment (fund).” #WeAreUnited believes the school should dip into that fund to pay off the losses due to the coronavirus instead of defunding programs. They also call for “voluntary and drastically reduced excessive pay” from the coaches, administrators, and PAC-12 commissioner Larry Scott. 

Next is a call to “end racial injustice in college sports and society”. PAC-12 players request task forces to be made up of people of their choosing to “address outstanding issues such as racial injustice in college sports and in society.” They also command that 2% of conference revenue go to supporting low-income black students at these colleges and the surrounding community. 

#WeAreUnited claims that “unjust rules prevent the 98% of college football and basketball players who won’t go pro from capitalizing economically on what would otherwise be the most valuable years of our lives, including many Black players from low-income homes”

This is why the players tag on the most polarizing conversation that has been had for eons between student-athletes and the NCAA, “economic freedom and equity”. Players demand medical insurance, the right to “earn money for name, image, likeness, and reputation”, and a right to “50% of each sport’s total conference revenue (be distributed) evenly among athletes in their respective sports.” 

PAC-12 players also demand that the conference eliminate “all policies and practices restricting or deterring our freedom of speech, our ability to fully participate in charitable work, and our freedom to participate in campus activities outside of mandatory athletics participation.” 

Going further, the players urge the conference to give more power to the players and where they want to play. This follows a similar note Jim Harbaugh wrote to the NCAA that would allow one time transfers without any repercussions and additional transfer privilege in abusive situations, and allow players the opportunity to return to their university after going undrafted within seven days of their respective drafts.”

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

the players demand:

- a complete ban on parties and social gatherings from

- mandatory curfew all season long,

- the above precludes public protests, and political events at which music may be played 

- no 'personal friends' visiting athletic student housing

- surrender their tickets to encourage social distancing for fans

- no outside food lacking the same standards as their training table

- no smoking anything as airborne particles may spread the virus

- masks mandatory when possible, pretty much every time except aerobic exercise

- scholarship reduced in proportion to the diminished educational value of online instruction

Yes, this would convince anyone they are truly devoted to covid safety. 

I agree.  Everyone must do their part.  Including players.  I think this is where team leaders and captains come in.  

the players demand:

- the above precludes public protests, and political events at which music may be played 

- scholarship reduced in proportion to the diminished educational value of online instruction

we don't often agree, but I think this list of demands would indeed sober up everybody. It would also cancel the season. 

the players demand:

I don't think you're going to find very many posters here who actually think the PAC 12's players group is claiming their demands are COVID-centric. There's been a lot happening in this country lately, and also the push to pay players has been brewing for a while.

Count me in the camp that thinks that if a coach makes $5 million/year the players should be getting paid beyond a free degree (that in my opinion is becoming obsolete in value in the present age anyway) and $6000/year.

I want to watch college football this season but it seems that times are a changin' and that a lot of s|-|it's about to go down.

*Edit: Maybe you weren't talking about the PAC 12 players group, Joe. Sorry if I misunderstood there.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I want to watch college football this season but it seems that times are a changin' and that a lot of s|-|it's about to go down.

I'm actually preparing myself for college sports to never be what they used to be.....at least for a very long time (years).  And....like you said, it's more than just the Covid issue.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:36 PM, hunter49 said:

it doesn't matter what you call it, it came from China, they hatched it. yes, if many children were dying from it across the world there would be a war over it for sure.

this has turned into a can of worms with threats and demands from all involved. depending on how it is handled there could be a ton of portal transfers due to any new policy (conference) changes. at this point the season should be scraped and a complete reorganization under taken.

this is an opportunity for kids to get "pay for play" or hurdle right to the next draft without playing another down. sad what this virus has done to the fabric of America, it will never be the same. allegations of social injustice will be rampant going forward and the whole CF experience will be a blurred mess. another sport lost along with all pro sports for me. soon high school players will want a piece of the pie. nothing left but rubble.

Why isn't the Spanish Flu known as the American Flu? 

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

the players demand:

The rare cogent point.